Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2014.07.15 - Dwelvers Demo is now available on Dwelvers website!
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2014.07.15 - Dwelvers Demo is now available on Dwelvers website!
Yes, you heard right, finally I took the time to create a demo.

Downloadable from here: http://dwelvers.com/download/

From now on I will release a demo with every new version of Dwelvers released. The demo works exactly as the full version with some limitations:
  • You can't save or load any games.
  • You only get 60 minutes of game-play per game.

I felt like these limitation should be enough, I didn't want remove features from the demo because it would be way to much work having to configure a demo version for every full version released.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 10:34 PM by Rasmus.)
15-07-2014 01:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Great idea. I remember the time where I would buy a game because I liked the demo and not because a carefully constructed hype cloud created by the marketing guys told me to.
15-07-2014 01:43 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Hehe, yeah! It was a while since I played a demo myself. But I have been wanting to do this for a time because I really would like to give the player the option to test the game before purchasing it, not only to see if it is fun, but also to see if it runs on his or hers computer. My worst nightmare would be if someone bought the game because the system requirements said that it should work on his computer but that it didn't...

So I have now added some warning text on the http://dwelvers.com/pre-order/ site that the player should try the demo out before buying it.
15-07-2014 01:50 AM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: Dwelvers Demo is now avalible
(15-07-2014 01:50 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  So I have now added some warning text on the http://dwelvers.com/pre-order/ site that the player should try the demo out before buying it.
Make that text a link to the download page. You can never make things easy enough for the potential buyers.

Also, I find the text a little... defensive? Cold? Legal? I mean, I understand your fear and all, but you want to sell the game too, right?

Quote:If you have not tried out Dwelvers yet it is highly recommended that you check out the demo before pre-ordering the game so that you know for certain that it will work on your computer.

I would make it a little more casual... something like:

Quote:You aren't convinced yet? Why don't you try the demo for FREE and come back later if you like it? You can also make sure beforehand that the game will run smoothly for you.
  • It feels more personal.
  • You facilitate the downloading of the demo by providing a link.
  • You make emphasis on the fact that it's FREE.
  • It's still a suggestion, but its also a call for action, which yields better results.
  • You subconsciously say your game will run smoothly (which will be true 98% of the time) instead of saying that it may run badly, and if it does, it's your problem because I warned you.
15-07-2014 02:43 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Really good advice Smile I changed it and highlighted some other words as well so that it is easier to see the benefits by pre-ordering the game Smile
15-07-2014 03:28 AM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: 2014.07.15 - Dwelvers Demo is now available on Dwelvers website!
Nice. I like how the first thing that catches your eye when looking at the price is the orange demo link below Smile Perfect placement.
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2014 05:19 PM by Excess.)
15-07-2014 05:19 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
There are a few grammar mistakes and word usage issues. I'm editing and sending you a revision by PM. I know some people may see that and decide it's not worth a try if the grammar is wrong. Stoopid grammar Nazis.
15-07-2014 07:56 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Np, by now you all should know that I want people to complain as much as possible Wink
I got your PM Mello, thanks a lot, I will update the site shortly.
15-07-2014 10:45 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: 2014.07.15 - Dwelvers Demo is now available on Dwelvers website!
(15-07-2014 10:45 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Np, by now you all should know that I want people to [b[complain[/b] as much as possible Wink

I complain, I complain, I complain, I complain, I complain, I complain, I complain, I compla....

Oh, it's good to get some proofreadings before world see what we have done. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
16-07-2014 12:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
You're welcome Ras
16-07-2014 01:32 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Something I forgot to add with the 0.8 versions is that the demo time has been increased from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. 30 minutes is not nearly enough to get a hang of the game.
02-09-2014 10:35 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Give one hour more to test hydraulics. Big Grin
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
03-09-2014 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Well, they can always cheat Wink
03-09-2014 06:42 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Right. Let them cheating. Wink
03-09-2014 07:29 AM