My New Idea I & S - Locking/Unlocking stuff options
Locking/Unlocking stuff options

Info
So I've got an idea Smile
What if we made it so that the storage room is the only building that could be built right from start, and when that one is built other buildings will unlock.. In this way we can guide the player on the right path..

Appearance
Some kind of tech-tree like menu

Stats
Highlight: Unlocking more advanced/better things mechanism.
Function: Makes game more challenging and longer.
Discovering and unlocking more and more stuff is one of the best mechanism in RTS games, so of course that should be in Dwelvers! Big Grin

- In HoMM games You can unlock next buildings by building certain first then other that previous unlocking and so on to the last building where You can buy better units.
- In Dungeon Keeper as more researches You do the more You have rooms, but spells too (unlike in HoMM games You need to unlock spells in one building, but nothing else).
- In WFTO to unlock next You need to unlock firsts, then more and more and it depends on number of sins You have that are add to Your pool by the time because certain number of them are needed to unlock next room, spell or even defense (trap, door).
- In RPG games always it is that something has to be unlocked first to be able to unlock more, very often by alternative cost unluckily - but this system works in WFTO too, but it's possible to unlock everything, but You need very much time.
-In Pokémon games You need to do certain things, events, quests to unlock something or win contest, hard battle, defeat whole bad team. In case of Dwelvers we could unlocking something by rituals, making some steps that in the end will guide us to the something that we could use - maybe we have to find something on the map, claim this or take to suitable room etc.

We should think now what system do we need to make entertainment cool. ATM every creatures need resources only to make them, but maybe some stronger would need a certain room built or spell researched? If so, what will be the way to unlock more and more stuff? Maybe some of them couldn't be unlocked if we choose other way (so like skills unlocking in RPG). Some of them could need special resources, that would be hard to find... a lot of things, but anyway it will be the most important game mechanic in the game.

P.S. Added to Ideas & Game Features list. Tongue
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Seems like the right thing to do. Was thinking about it last night in bed Big Grin
(04-10-2013, 08:57 AM)Sebt Wrote: Discovering and unlocking more and more stuff is one of the best mechanism in RTS games, so of course that should be in Dwelvers! Big Grin

- In HoMM games You can unlock next buildings by building certain first then other that previous unlocking and so on to the last building where You can buy better units.
- In Dungeon Keeper as more researches You do the more You have rooms, but spells too (unlike in HoMM games You need to unlock spells in one building, but nothing else).
- In WFTO to unlock next You need to unlock firsts, then more and more and it depends on number of sins You have that are add to Your pool by the time because certain number of them are needed to unlock next room, spell or even defense (trap, door).
- In RPG games always it is that something has to be unlocked first to be able to unlock more, very often by alternative cost unluckily - but this system works in WFTO too, but it's possible to unlock everything, but You need very much time.
-In Pokémon games You need to do certain things, events, quests to unlock something or win contest, hard battle, defeat whole bad team. In case of Dwelvers we could unlocking something by rituals, making some steps that in the end will guide us to the something that we could use - maybe we have to find something on the map, claim this or take to suitable room etc.

We should think now what system do we need to make entertainment cool. ATM every creatures need resources only to make them, but maybe some stronger would need a certain room built or spell researched? If so, what will be the way to unlock more and more stuff? Maybe some of them couldn't be unlocked if we choose other way (so like skills unlocking in RPG). Some of them could need special resources, that would be hard to find... a lot of things, but anyway it will be the most important game mechanic in the game.

P.S. Added to The List. Tongue

I agree entirely with the idea of tiers, but I think they might be best if the functionality were put in a separate game mode like with the campaign or in a 'progressive' mode. That way, for people who just want to mess around, they can go into sandbox mode or something and just do whatever they want. Another thing I would like to mention is, while we're referencing games, Battle Realms could be a very valuable resource. I was considering the unit production system that Battle Realm uses, in which you have basic tier one units that you upgrade by sending through various unit processing buildings. This mechanic could be used to produce units from imps that are better at certain jobs. For instance, if you want imps that can farm twice as fast as actual imps, train them at a structure built in the farm room.
TeleClassy wrote:

"I was considering the unit production system that Battle Realm uses, in which you have basic tier one units that you upgrade by sending through various unit processing buildings. This mechanic could be used to produce units from imps that are better at certain jobs. For instance, if you want imps that can farm twice as fast as actual imps, train them at a structure built in the farm room."

This is an amazing idea, i think it also fits this game quite nicely.
I don't know if having just a supply room as a build option to start off with would be good although there definitely needs to be a limitation on just building anything whenever for the final game. Probably the best thing to do would be to have your most basic rooms available like Storage Room/Farm/Lair. Then other rooms would be able to be built after these, for example:

I want to build a Bar for my Dark Dwarves, well first I need to build a Farm. Now the Cookery is available once the Farm has been built. Once the Cookery is built and a Brewery made, now the Bar becomes available...so on and so forth.