Feedback/Modification I & S - Esc-Button --> Game Menu
Hiho

A little Suggestion.
When i hit the Esc-button, i will see the Game Menu:-)

That's it

Cheerios
Topper
Hmm, I got accustomed to that using Escape cancels option I intentionally or accidentally made, for example I click a creature and e
Escape button declicks that selection. IMO F10 was always good for shortkey to menu, what do you think?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(20-07-2014, 12:18 PM)Sebt Wrote: Hmm, I got accustomed to that using Escape cancels option I intentionally or accidentally made, for example I click a creature and e
Escape button declicks that selection. IMO F10 was always good for shortkey to menu, what do you think?

Thats correct, but when nothing is selected and open, there a no problem when its open menu when press the esc button?
I'm with Topper on this one, ESC is historically the menu key.
It's also the preferred cancel key, but that's ok, because what usually happens in games is that you hit ESC to close any in-game thing you have going on (being that a selection, an in-game menu, etc) and then if you press it again it opens up the menu. In some game you have to spam the ESC key up to three times to get to the menu, and that's ok because we are used to it. It comes naturally.
I've been playing since 0.6c and I still press ESC, get confused for a second, look at my keyboard to see where F1 is, press it, and go to menu. Truth is, my muscles will always go automatically to ESC. They don't have memorized yet where any of the F-keys are, as they are rarely used.
Hehe sometimes when you want to quickly cancel something you're spamming the button that will escape you, so it's possible when you cancel and cancel that you also at the end open the menu. This is very annoying and this is main reason for changing menu button for F10 as I remember from games like Dune 2 or Warcraft 2 where F10 means open menu. Smile

Excess - all depends to what you became accustomed to, I tried to put rational reason to use for menu different key then about canceling. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
The primary reason I had the F1 button for this is because when the player is in possession mode he can't enter the menu without leaving the possession mode. People complained a lot more when I had another button for canceling the possession than ESC.
(20-07-2014, 07:59 PM)Rasmus Wrote: The primary reason I had the F1 button for this is because when the player is in possession mode he can't enter the menu without leaving the possession mode. People complained a lot more when I had another button for canceling the possession than ESC.

When the player is in the possession mode and he will in the Main menu, he must first with esc out of possession mode and then he can with Esc in the main menü.

That's not bad?
F1 was always a help for me, F10 to enter menu, ESC to cancel everything (canceling and menu can't be called by the same button, how annoying is opening menu when you won't to?). IMO for possession ESC will be OK too, why not? I'm pretty sure we will have dozens of shortcuts later, cancel button is essential too. Smile
Yeah what Topper said. The thing is that most games have their menus opened by hitting the Esc key and also it cancels the menu out or acts like a back button where the menu has sub-menus. I don't think it would be too hard to have the argument 'if in possession mode, then Esc = exit possestion, else open menu'. This isn't the first time this suggestion has come up, and I know it will again and again.
Wikipedia Wrote:In most computer games, the escape key is used as a pause button and/or as a way to bring up the in-game menu, usually containing ways to exit the program.
The last game that I played that used the F10 as a menu was Warcraft 2. The last one that used F1 was... dwelvers? Tongue
ROFL!!!

'Wikipedia Wrote:'

I like that.
That's what Wikipedia said... yea, actually from this place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esc_key
Me as a younger gamer, never really played a game, in which the menu wasn't openend with the ESC-Button. And I always press it and wonder, why nothing happens. But to be honest: I don't really mind. I am able to live with this and be able to get over it.
But to be sure, there will be alot of complains, if this game reaches a bigger community! And I don't see the big issue in doing it.
Okay so what if I make the ESC button the back/menu button but also keep F1 button as a menu button. This would solve the menu possession issue as people would have to use F1 if they want to still be in possession mode while entering the menu.
Don't you want to keep F1 for something else?, like help, dwelverpedia or something? Usually F2 is for quick save, F3 for quick load the game, F10 for MENU, why not to make menu that is activate by F10?