Feedback/Modification Creature Mechanic - Improved combat
I have made some minor improvements to the combat system.

First of, some creatures has slower attacks than other creatures, and this makes the stunning effect of a creature when it is hit very unbalanced. Three impanzees can kill any creature no matter how high level he has just because every attack they do stuns him for a little while and therefore he are never able to attack himself. I solved this by making the stunning only by chance, if a creature gets the damage 5 and his hp is 25 the chance for him to be stunned is 5 / 25 = 20%. This should balance things out.

The other issue I found were when a creature is fleeing, a orc can hunt an impanzee all over the whole level without being able to catch him. He usually tries to attack him once in a while, but when he has finished the attack the creature is to far away for the attack to count as a hit. The thing is that the creatures will attack if another creature is less than 1 tile away, but this also count when the creature have finished the attack, and if the creature being attacked is more than 1 tile away then it will not count as a hit. So I solved this by letting the creatures attack when a enemy is less than one tile away, and the attack will hit if the enemy is closer than 2 tiles away.

So, if you guys and gals find any other flaws with the combat system (that isn't a bug, because that should go to the Bugs/Issues & Crashes forum) please let me know. Smile
I think this is a good change, especially keeping them from fleeing all over the map which can get annoying. Perhaps they could also when fleeing, if your attack lands then they could stop to retaliate once before they attempt to flee again? Some creatures should also not have the flee behavior like the Cyclotaur IMO.
I would love to see the impanzees being more territorial, considering they are the only ones with an established settlement. It would be more challenging if they stayed near each other in a closed group instead of running around randomly waiting to be picked off one by one by our focused group of orcs.

Also, perhaps not so much about battle but concerning the enemies: I would very much like to see the bats flying above water (and attacking now and then).

Also, fishmen should be able to swim. They would be much harder to hunt down if they flee when hurt and jumped into the water. Right now, the only thing that differentiates enemies is their texture and base health.

Rogues should try to land 1 hit and back up for a bit, instead of being the punching bags they are now Tongue

Maybe knight could do area damage with their big bad hammers? Hitting several orcs at once?
Yea, enemy creatures could wall form squads, that would even easier to buy these if we implement possibility of buy creatures on the map - like you can do it with diplomacy in Heroes III.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(22-07-2014, 10:43 PM)Excess Wrote: I would love to see the impanzees being more territorial, considering they are the only ones with an established settlement. It would be more challenging if they stayed near each other in a closed group instead of running around randomly waiting to be picked off one by one by our focused group of orcs.

Also, perhaps not so much about battle but concerning the enemies: I would very much like to see the bats flying above water (and attacking now and then).

Also, fishmen should be able to swim. They would be much harder to hunt down if they flee when hurt and jumped into the water. Right now, the only thing that differentiates enemies is their texture and base health.

Rogues should try to land 1 hit and back up for a bit, instead of being the punching bags they are now Tongue

Maybe knight could do area damage with their big bad hammers? Hitting several orcs at once?

All good ideas, I will see how much I am able to do before the next release.

(23-07-2014, 11:39 AM)Sebt Wrote: Yea, enemy creatures could wall form squads, that would even easier to buy these if we implement possibility of buy creatures on the map - like you can do it with diplomacy in Heroes III.

Agreed, but first I need to fix the equipment system so that it is waaay smoother.
(24-07-2014, 03:17 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Agreed, but first I need to fix the equipment system so that it is waaay smoother.

So how about this to have a good overview of your population including their equipment:

[Image: JBRf.png]

So in the example above we could see each individual, how their mood is, what they are doing and where, and also the equipment they have on. Clicking on the individual's equipment would take you to the equipment management screen. Clicking their avatar would zoom to that individual.

In the example below, you see we could filter the view to show only characters with an agitated status by selecting that status from a drop down selection menu. Looking at this now, there also needs to be a remove filters option.

[Image: JBRg.png]
That's something I needed sometimes in DK, because some of the same type of creatures can do different jobs and that is frustrating to find all you want, especially if work in various places.

We have now a preview of creatures - what they're doing with animations of that, stats and equipment - I think if we could connect Mello's idea with creature preview window it would work pretty great together, nothing is so handful like having very quick ability to skip to anything you want. +3 from me. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(24-07-2014, 07:29 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:
(24-07-2014, 03:17 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Agreed, but first I need to fix the equipment system so that it is waaay smoother.

So how about this to have a good overview of your population including their equipment:

[Image: JBRf.png]

So in the example above we could see each individual, how their mood is, what they are doing and where, and also the equipment they have on. Clicking on the individual's equipment would take you to the equipment management screen. Clicking their avatar would zoom to that individual.

In the example below, you see we could filter the view to show only characters with an agitated status by selecting that status from a drop down selection menu. Looking at this now, there also needs to be a remove filters option.

[Image: JBRg.png]

I freaking love your concept arts Mello, they inspire me and makes it much easier to understand the idea. +3 to you Big Grin

This is really good, but I will have to backtrack to this a little later, I have been thinking about making the creature equipment system more automatically. Perhaps instead of having the player equip individual creatures they could equip the creature type, but that would interfere with the squad system we have been thinking of... Hmmm... I know that this concept art is more for getting more information about the creatures, but I would like to replace the creature menu with something like this in the future perhaps. Right now having a fullscreen 3d rendering of the creatures is a little to much, I want to compress the menus and be able to give the player more information and options at once.
Thanks man. I was just thinking about how equipping by creature type and squads could possibly work if the Guard Room/Barracks or whatever was a quasi Storage Room, but specifically for weapons/armor and other combat materials. You would set your equipment by creature type, Imps assigned to a linked Storage Room would deliver those combat items to that post, and squads assigned to the post would equip better equipment if it was available.