Design issue 0.7e - Creature Behavior, creatures refuse to do something
I had a couple issues with the creature behavior while playing 0.7e.

1- After playing for about a half an hour, all creatures in rooms went "idle" and refused to make essential items, even though they had all the resources needed to make them, this may have been connected to store rooms going "full" but this created a nearly unsolvable problem as I had creatures starving that couldn't be fed because nobody would produce any food, which left the store rooms perpetually full as that meant no items were being used up in production. The thing was that there was a store room that wasn't full, but the imps just wouldn't store much in there.

2- When the above issue started up, I also noticed an Orc that refused to sleep using the orc beds provided. I had a bed room with 4 orc beds but the orcs just refused to sleep in them, eventually the orc went rouge and attacked by DM. At one point it was standing right on an empty orc bed but still wouldn't sleep. There were no rally flags out so I can't think of any reason why the orcs wouldn't use empty orc beds.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
And this happens still after you save and load the game? Could you provide your save state here? Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Unfortunately I never did save that game. I'll see if I can reproduce it. That issue happened when I was starting to get a little bleary-eyed from lack of sleep so didn't think to save it with the issue going on unfortunately.

That's so unfortunate as that'll make this bug harder to nail down unless me/others can reproduce it and provide save files, screenshots, log files and any other overloads of data that Ras can immerse himself in to find the solution to this issue. Unfortunately...
The Golden One!
- If it had to do with the storage room being full it will be solved in the next version as the Dark Mother room will have unlimited storage.
- I suspect the orcs didn't go to sleep because they were hungry.
Nope, they weren't hungry, and there was a bar room with food and beer available for them if they were, so in that case the orcs should have eaten, then gone to bed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. I did manage to get a crash though, which I'll report about in a new thread.
The Golden One!
This happens to me a lot. This update to the mechanics outlined by Rasmus should alleviate some of this hopefully. Check it out.
Hmm, I think we need to output some more debug information about what the creatures are doing and thinking. If we select a creature in dev mode (alt+d) and have him output the code in the console window for the next version maybe. This should give some clarity.

Like if he is trying to take a job and so on...
I know sometimes my excavations then subsequent backfills sometimes leave creatures stuck and I don't notice until someone gets hungry or thirsty and I click to zoom on them. The problem is that occasionally it is an Imp that is stuck and it seems they were holding onto a job they couldn't get to. Not sure if that is the case, but it seems like I have freed up stuck creatures before and then a production chain that was stuck, build job, or gathering task also gets unstuck. So being able to see the creature's thought process could help see where things are backing up.
Also, if a creature is stuck, any its assigned task should be cancelled from that creature's own actions, so that job can be freed up for someone else to do. If a creature fails to get to more then one job order you could have a path-finding check on getting to the DM and if a path to the DM can't be found that creature could be reported as possibly stuck.

One of the main issues that leads to stuck creatures is that they tend to randomly wander into areas on the wrong side of excavations and back-fills. There is no way to keep creatures out of areas that are about to become isolated by the work. Having something like the warning signs that will prevent creatures from entering such areas would prevent a lot of these sorts of problems. Such an object should be placeable in a similar way to the rally flags, just select it from a list and drop it down, with the option to have as many as are needed. Each could be rotatable and have a direction which is the direction no creature will pass it in, so any creatures on the wrong side can still pass by it to get to the "safe" side, but not to the "dangerous" side.

I know there were 2 or 3 or more discussions about ways to keep creatures from wandering into areas they shouldn't be wandering, and either stirring up a horde of enemies or getting themselves stuck behind a wall, excavation, etc.
The Golden One!
A creatures task is always cancelled if he can't do the job, that one is solved since long ago.
I agree that some warning could be nice when it comes to stuck creatures.
With the next version I will make the imp rally flag work as well so that it is possible to have some control over the creatures.