Feedback/Modification Room Mechanics & Construction Idea - Farms, Cooking Area & Mining Shafts
Hi, just started playing this game and really enjoying it but find that resource management can be quite annoying. I had an idea I'd like to share:

Split raw resources into 2 categories: Organic and Non-Organic. Mines deal with most the Non-Organic and Farms mostly Organic.

Currently Mines seem to be a renewable resource, what about instead, they greatly increase the amount of resource gained instead of destroying the blocks by a factor of 10 or something, This would also remove the resource from the block without destroying the block (you would mine close at the start and be forced to radiate outwards as the game progressed but could also later expand into mined areas without having to rebuild)

Farms could be used to also generate animals and trees. The meat from animals making different food for the cooking area and also producing leather (and maybe the occasional bone). Trees obviously for wood. (I have seen mentioned you are looking into other sources of both these resources) This would mean the player would need to set aside areas of land for farming.
Trees and some animals like cows will be implemented/available when surface world will became playable. We will have different type of animal farms in dungeons probably too like now we have bats and fishes.

According to Planned upcoming features you can see that - Kettle farm for farming rope, leather and meat, also Butchery will be implemented - however it's not said if Rasmus would make them available in dungeons or surface world first (like for surface world it was initially planned a long time ago).

Roots are replacing trees and different type of plants because of no sunlight in dungeons, so the only trees will be growing in surface world.

About mines, I don't know if I understand the idea, maybe you could try to give an example of this solution, maybe on some picture? Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Thank you for the information.

As for the mining thing. what I propose is that when you find a block of resource and place the mining shaft thing over it that imps will then mine it for the resource in the block and all blocks below it (to a certain level) while leaving the actual stone alone. When all resources have been removed the mining shaft is removed but the stone/mud blocks stay untouched. Using the mining shaft increases the resources available (since you're using a more advanced method of mining, you get a better yield)
I understood the concept now. That would work, but I wonder if players will instead of digging for resources use only shafts, unless as you mentioned each will have limit of depth mining shafts could be built in the ground. Added idea of Mining Shafts to the Ideas & Game Features list. Smile

Hope you don't mind I modified a little this thread name, did it for organisation purpose. Smile
+2 points goes to you.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(17-09-2014, 12:49 PM)Sebt Wrote: I understood the concept now. That would work, but I wonder if players will instead of digging for resources use only shafts, unless as you mentioned each will have limit of depth mining shafts could be built in the ground. Added idea of Mining Shafts to the Ideas & Game Features list. Smile

Hope you don't mind I modified a little this thread name, did it for organisation purpose. Smile
+2 points goes to you.

Thank you.

What imagined was that when someone starts a level they could use the shafts to clear out any blocks of resource in their vicinity without breaking down too many walls, allowing them more control of their initial dungeon design. Like building your Sleeping Area in an area full of resource blocks, then, when the resources are gone, expanding to provide enough beds for your increased population.

When exploring, because common resources are common I foresee Shafts being used for the rarer resources encouraging base camps to protect them.
I wonder about this. If you say shafts could be nicely used at initial stage - you need some area atthe start to put some rooms, so you'll need to dig. Saying that I would ask you - won't it be faster to dig out some tiles especially below first layer and then to cover them with a dirt block again? Smile