Feedback/Modification I & S - Customizable map seed generator
We can't say exactly what does it mean to play on difficulty level - on hard level enemies are stronger, but what else? Less resources will be available on the map, less will be enemies, etc?

As I saw, different people on our community (mostly on steam) - was unsatisfied with amount of wood, others complained about iron scarcity. Others complained about "too hard" enemies. Some was complaining about too much bedrock on the map on the top layers, etc.... so, inspired by how it is made in Minecraft (Minecraft Guide: Creating Custom Minecraft Maps) what if player would be able to customize his/her map difficulty based on map properties such a density/quantity of resources, frequency of enemy units spawning on the map, etc. - so this way generate own unique map seed?

When I was thinking about that, I looked at the forum if there's not something similar already suggested and yes, there's already a thread made by Rikus Khan about the same thing here, which is awesome! Look here Custom/Challenge Maps, at the same time here I would like to extend some options and make them possible to implement even on actual game development stage and have them looking in a little different then Rikus' way.

These are my suggestions for map properties you could set after enter the Free game mode such Sandbox (marked on GREEN are properties that could be implemented in actual game development stage. Marked on TILE are propositions for further game development):

Environment Properties
  • Resources:
    • Resources Density - set how much Rock blocks will be transformed into random resource blocks: Scale: 0-100%
    • Water Density - set how much Rock blocks will be transformed into water blocks: Scale: 0-100%
    • Bedrock Density - set how much Rock blocks will be transformed into indestructible blocks: Scale: 0-100%
    • Rock Density - set how much Rock blocks will NOT be transformed into any other blocks: Scale: 0-100%
    NOTE: The sum of these 4 factors cannot be higher then 100%, so you can set configuration like this: Resource Density is 50%, Water - 20% Bedrocks 6%, so automatically game set Rock Density to 24%.
  • Resource Generator - an additional option - redirects you to the map Resource Generator where you can set every properties presented above, but for each block type separately. You could also set maximum layer on which each resource could be found on the map
  • Overall Blocks "Gradient" - set the gradient(?), how "dense", how much will be blocks on the map: Scale: 0-100% (100% means that there's no caverns, whole map is filled up (chock-full) with blocks - except special locations like Portals and Dark Mother's room, etc, 0% means there's only one flat layer of blocks, 1% means that on map 100x100 - so 1% of 10000 blocks = 100 blocks will be placed randomly on higher levels up to 10th lvl, you can guess what you'll see setting 2% and more.

CPU Creature AI Properties
  • Level Cap:
    • Level Cap Range - set range of creatures level on the map (Portal, Neutral and Player(s) creatures): Scale: 1-10lvl (assuming in Dwelvers max lvl cap is 10) (you can set for example that creatures appear with levels from 3-8, so lower then 3rd and higher then 8th lvl they cannot have)
    • Level Cap Density - set "density" of creatures level you can encounter on the map (Portal, Neutral and Player(s) creatures): Scale: 0-100% (for example you set in Level Cap Range 3-6, here you can set how much will be creatures with 3rd-6th lvl, I.e. 20% (of all creatures on the map and incoming from Portals) will be with 3rd lvl, 0% - 4th lvl, 55% - 5th lvl and so with 6th lvl - 25%)
  • Portal Creatures:
    • Cooldown Spawn Time - set a time between spawning next creature from Portals to Surface World: Scale: 1sec-30min (you can also set the time manually)
  • Portal Creature Generator - an additional option - redirects you to the map Portal Creature Generator where you can set every properties presented above, but for each creature type separately. You could also set range of these factors for each group of creatures, so flr Portal, Neutral and Player creatures "globally" that set her will be set for every creature in target group.

Of course for each map we would be able to generate random properties - like it is now in the game. What's more player will be able to save configuration he/she set for a map and use the same on every other maps.

If you have other propositions with you feel would be great to implement, share it with us. Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
i would like to see another two things

1. time before enemies are active
2. safe area around DM where you dont put digging enemies (only portals right now?)

maybe not manually set up but definitely scaled by difficulty