Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Brainstorm Item Mechanics - Moving water blocks
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Item Mechanics - Moving water blocks
Okay, so it is time for the player to be able to move water...

I was thinking of making it easy as a starter, we can make it more "fancy" in the future. What if the player got a water tool, this water tool will enable the player to select water blocks he want the workers to pick up, and also where he wants the imps to place them. When picked up, these water block will be just like an item, and when dropped they will go back to being water blocks. The water blocks will be storeable in the storage room.

What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 09:42 AM by Sebt.)
29-09-2014 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

RE:
I like the system of buckets in Minecraft. You could fill water to buckets and then use for production purpose or to spill it on some place to create a water pool or waterfall, etc. That would work great with any other fluid like magma that could be stored for different purposes like I suggested in Magma Pots & Stone Bridge Magma Lift.

I like the idea of water tool - water blocks could be placed like any known construction or room building - just click and set where it would be placed and build.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 09:37 AM by Sebt.)
30-09-2014 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Hopefully it will be a different item than that of what is used by farms/cookery. Maybe. Although quite possible it could be crafted from those buckets with a fair amount; if not adding a few other things that make it so.

Either way craftable or not the water tool does sound quite right. Moving water around would be a nice lil feature. Even if done in a temporary water till something better or another idea comes along to make better.

For all I know the pressure pipe system could be used in the future to move from one place to another. Of course that would make for a long line to draw of pipes, especially if trying to get them to go up/down hill per say. Then again a machine could be made for that purpose.

Right now having just a basic one would sufice till another one can be put in like you were saying I believe...
30-09-2014 03:30 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
It is now implemented and will be there in the next version.
The "water" item will still be there, and I have now added a "water block" item that is only used for moving water blocks (atm).

I like the idea of pressure pipes, this is something that have been discussed before, and it will probably be implemented in the future.
06-10-2014 04:24 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
So this is how it looks like Smile

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/FetchAndDropWaterBlocks.jpg[/IMG]
07-10-2014 12:30 PM
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

RE:
Imps looks innocent, but have godly powers!
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 09:17 PM by Sebt.)
07-10-2014 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I hope it is okay that they lift the water as blocks, I know that it goes against some known laws of physics Tongue

The reason I made it like this is because the water blocks should be recognizable easily, and because it looks pretty fun (I hope) Tongue
07-10-2014 08:37 PM
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Well for me that looks fine, even if looks like gelatin; of course that is made with water anyhow. lol

good to hear this will be in the next, I know a couple people that would love to work with this, myself being one of them. I know I will have a bit of fun making waterfalls and my own water areas. Smile
08-10-2014 03:40 PM
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

RE:
Luckily the energy conservation law is saved here. Wink
Hmm, I wonder why on 5th picture area of influence on the watet border looks like this: ''''']__[''''
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 09:23 PM by Sebt.)
08-10-2014 09:20 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello
Evil Admins

RE:
You know what would be really awesome? A water tower, with a sump pump. It could be added to Hydraulics and be a way to suck up water from one location, then make pipes to the new location where the water will be moved to. A switch could control the flow of water which could be fully opened/closed or allow a single unit of water to flow out. A unit of water could be equal to .1 of the amount of water that a full tile of water would contain.
14-10-2014 08:30 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE: Item Mechanics - Moving water blocks
(08-10-2014 09:20 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Luckily the energy conservation law is saved here. Wink
Hmm, I wonder why on 5th picture area of influence on the watet border looks like this: ''''']__[''''

Yeah, that law is something that shouldn't be played with Tongue

The reason for the |_| is because the areas underneath the water is claimed, then I started filling it with water. Maybe I should make it so that no water can belong to anyone...

(14-10-2014 08:30 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  You know what would be really awesome? A water tower, with a sump pump. It could be added to Hydraulics and be a way to suck up water from one location, then make pipes to the new location where the water will be moved to. A switch could control the flow of water which could be fully opened/closed or allow a single unit of water to flow out. A unit of water could be equal to .1 of the amount of water that a full tile of water would contain.

Yeah, that would be really cool Smile But lets see how this plays out first Smile
15-10-2014 01:32 PM