Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

My New Idea Environment Idea - Holidays and Celebrations
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

Environment Idea - Holidays and Celebrations
Introduction
"Even dastardly creatures such as these have cause for celebration, now and again."

Overview
The idea is a very simple one in conception, yet perhaps complicated in execution. to put it simply, the idea is to add organized 'events' in the game that the player will have to prepare for. This idea, I believe, will add two major things to the game. One, it provides additional feel and lore for the denizens under your control. For while some holidays could be for all creatures, others could be creature, or group specific, allowing players to gain a little more insight and lore on the creatures themselves within the game play itself. The second thing it will achieve is breaking up and spicing up game play. Having events that have special conditions will give players some established goals with criteria that must be met. Something that adds challenge as well as breaking up some of the monotony of just managing and expanding your underground empire. These 'curveballs' could have adverse effects on your minions. For example, if a player was not properly prepared for Ogrivarr (see example below), they might come to find they have angered their entire orcish fighting force in a single day.

Now, I should state that this idea is rather rough and loose as it stands. But my goal is not to convey a rock solid idea. As much as suggest a frame work that perhaps others might give suggestions and build upon. I don't see this as something that could be put in game right this second. But, if the idea is liked enough, it is something I think should be noted for in the future.

Example: Ogrivarr
Ogrivarr is the sacred orcish holiday of drinking. The traditional drink of Ogrivarr is Blackrock Ale, a drink made with unsmelted iron, and taproot. The player will need to change the production of at least one drink producing still to begin making it.

During Ogrivarr, orcs will refuse to do any attended job save for drinking, or fighting (if they are given any other jobs in the future, but as it stands, they just wouldn't mine). They will seek to drink all day, and expect at least 1 drink of Blackrock ale each, being rather quick to anger if they do not get it in a timely fashion. During which time, they will sing orcish drinking songs about war and bloodshed (possibly). One might even add some animation of singing and record some orcish drinking songs.

During Ogrivarr, all orcs will refuse to wear any armor, or wield any shield. As it is traditional to prove that they are fierce and without fear. This, of coarse, making them easier to slay in combat. However, they get bonuses to their damage even if displeased. If the holiday is a success, they will keep said bonuses for an allotted time even after they return to wearing armor. (armor would likely need to be browned out or alike so players didn't have to equip all of them.) This means if a player has a large fighting force of orcs, attempting raiding and expanding right after a successful Ogrivarr would be ideal.

In Closing
The proceeding, as mentioned, was just a rough idea to give an example of how such an event -might- work. It is by no means a rock solid idea in any way, shape or form; but rather a mean to get the creative juices flowing of others. What else might happen during Ogrivarr? Would the orcs decorate the dinning hall in the bones of their enemies? Or perhaps compared the severed heads of their fallen foes? Perhaps they hold a contest every year for the best severed head? What other holidays and celebrations might the denizens partake in? Do imps have their own version of labor day? Perhaps the little guys have a special day where they actually -do- eat and drink? Would dark priests and impanzees have days they feel compelled to worship their dark gods?

Anyway. I hope this was sufficiently inspiring, if not a bit lofty of an idea. Please, everyone, feel free to post what you think, and give input.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 11:41 AM by Sebt.)
20-11-2014 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Worth of considering, especially that Dwelvers will be much creature individual character oriented. At the same time it's ATM too early to think about implementing it. +2 for idea, added it to Ideas & Game Features list. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 06:54 PM by Sebt.)
20-11-2014 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: Environment Idea - Holidays and Celebrations
Yay reputation. Sweet. \o/

And, uh... I misspelled 'even' in the first line of text Blush

It should read:
Even dastardly creatures such as these have cause for celebration, now and again.

If you could fix that in the suggestion thread so I don't feel like quite as much of an idiot, that'd be awesome Wink

Hm, also, thinking about it, perhaps some more 'minor' celebrations might be better to start with. Something like, 'Creatures celebrate and sing songs after a battle goes well', articulating their enjoyment of bloodshed in game. Hearing and seeing a bunch of orcs singing charred, throaty voiced songs about blood shed, battle and brew after you butcher some impanzees and break there idol in smoldering rubble could defiantly make one get the 'feel goods'. .. Well, as long as the sound emanates from distance from camera to the room they are celebrating in, so the songs don't become to over baring.

Also, it would give some endearing life to your creatures. Making them feel a bit more on your side. And, while perhaps not the highest priority amongst everything being worked on, it's certainly an easier start to this whole celebration thing than adding elaborate holidays that would require, y'know.. a time/day/year system in place.
21-11-2014 02:17 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I think this is a cool twist on something we see commonly in multiplayer games especially those that are server based. One of my favorite times of year to play games is during WoW's Brewfest. There's nothing like getting good and sloshy and whoopin up on Hordish rouges and the like. It would be cool to see something like this introduced here as it would be a way to break away from the normal mode of play. It might also encourage going back through the campaigns once they get introduced to see how the play is changed by the current holiday. It would also make multiplayer more dynamic as well. Good idea!
21-11-2014 04:03 PM
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

As Mello said, I saw this a lot on server games, which adds spice and more fun to the game instead of the same boring things. Dwelvers has never nor will be boring. I like the idea for other games, but not so much for Dwelvers. Though I do like the mini celebrations though cause I do those on my own when I win a battle against those pesky knights.
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2014 07:08 PM by Mataran.)
21-11-2014 07:08 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

I should note guys, that the holiday idea, as it is suggested by me, or more on point, the way I envisioned when I suggested it isn't quite what you guys are thinking.

You've mentioned Ma-MOR-Pa-Gahs like Wow, where the holiday is dictated by the real word season and day of year. Following that mode of thinking, in the real world month of December players might expect to see some funny, or dungeony twist on Christmas, perhaps something like 'Takesmas' where creatures celebrate by stealing things from one another rather than giving gifts.

My version of a holiday in game would be dictated by the in game time of year. This goes along with a suggestion I was planning to make in the future of including ever changing seasons in the game. Ie, as you play, time progresses and you go through an entire year of seasons, summer, fall, winter, spring - alike. Now, I'm not going to get to far into the pitch for that idea, since that seems more appropriate as a separate topic. One I might make in the future after giving it some thought, after all, the games not really in a position for that, I don't think.

I am more stating this to bring home that the holidays would be dictated by an ingame day/month, rather than an IRL one. Celebrating Ogrivagarr, or other holidays, becoming a standard part of play style, being once every 1 in game year.

-...Moving on

However, that, as stated, is a little lofty a goal for now. So, perhaps it might be better to discuss more minor celebrations? What events might be worthy of causing your creatures to want to party? How each creature type might celebrate.

See, I can definitely see all the orcs cramming into the dinning hall and singing drinking songs after a good battle. That imagine kind of inspired the whole 'minor celebration' off shoot I think seems more worthy of discussion right now.

But what would an impanzee do? Would they dance, perhaps? For that matter, should all the creatures do the same thing, or should it be diverse? I could certainly see all the creatures drinking and making merry. Though the drinking thing might need to be toned down, least it mean every fight draining your ale supply.

Still, I can imagine a very charming image of an imp, raising an oversized ale glass whilst standing on a chair in toast and saying "long liiive the mastar".

Now, this whole idea might become deprecated when and if some of the leisure rooms are added. But I don't think so. I now think this is a good 'special' thing. Creatures will leisure and do there own thing all the time. But when a knight is downed by your forces, or some great hurtle is overcome, I think it would be cool to see your creatures do something different from the norm of 'relaxing in their evil easy chair' in their after work room.

I think it's still worth discussion and brainstorming. So, everyone, feel free to dive in.[/size]
22-11-2014 02:32 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I was merely saying how much I enjoy Brewfest on WoW, but not necessarily saying we should copycat that. I was totally down for your 'let's create our own holidays' idea because it allows the community more creative input. It reminded me of something I saw here about placing a stage in the Bar Room. Have I told you the one where an Orc, an Imp, and a Fishman enter a bar?

The seasons idea is brilliant, and I would love to see this included when the surface world area is implemented.
22-11-2014 03:18 AM
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

I do like that idea of takesmas. It would be hilarious to see that Big Grin . I think the mini celebrations should be only after certain events. Mainly portals and the maze. Impanzees and fishmen are just pests Angry, that later become slaves Wink. The things that each race does could be interesting to create.
Orcs: drink and regain health faster for glories of war.
Imps: Increased speed from excitement.
Impanzees: are social creatures, so I guess they could gather somewhere in your dungeon that's closest to wild Impanzees. Or go on a killing spree of bats.
Pighens: Go on an eating binge, producing more food.
Fishmen: I have no clue...Maybe just go swimming in local lakes.
Cyclotauars: Need more a back history of these guys to make any kind of a statement.
I'm not including Rogues or Knights as they won't have any reason to celebrate.
22-11-2014 03:21 AM
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

(22-11-2014 03:18 AM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  I was merely saying how much I enjoy Brewfest on WoW, but not necessarily saying we should copycat that. I was totally down for your 'let's create our own holidays' idea because it allows the community more creative input.

I also meant to say this too, but was focused on what each race did.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 03:24 AM by Mataran.)
22-11-2014 03:23 AM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

Quote:I was merely saying how much I enjoy Brewfest on WoW, but not necessarily saying we should copycat that. I was totally down for your 'let's create our own holidays' idea because it allows the community more creative input. It reminded me of something I saw here about placing a stage in the Bar Room. Have I told you the one where an Orc, an Imp, and a Fishman enter a bar?

The seasons idea is brilliant, and I would love to see this included when the surface world area is implemented.

No, no. I didn't get that copying impression from you. It's just that both you, and Martaran gave the impression of thinking it would operate under a real world time. I just wanted to clear up the whole 'Holidays are not dictated by real world time but rather in game time' thing. It's important because that means whatever holidays we come up with, will not happen once a year for us, but once a year in game, which might be anywhere from 10, to 30 in game hours (very loose estimate).

Also, as for the seasons thing. Play 'Don't Starve'.. You will learn to fear winter. - I was gonna put off pitching the idea, but if a few more or curious I could open a topic for that as well.

Also, I should note, the seasons would not just be above ground, but below ground as well. I was thinking the Dark mother could slowly begin to corrupt her environment from whatever dark place she comes from, making a sort of corresponding 'underground seasons' that could be more imaginative in nature. But it's all pretty rough and conception-ee.

Also, I totally don't get your joke... But that's because I don't recruit dirty fishmen.. I have my orcs eat them.Dodgy

Quote:I do like that idea of takesmas. It would be hilarious to see that Big Grin . I think the mini celebrations should be only after certain events. Mainly portals and the maze. Impanzees and fishmen are just pests Angry, that later become slaves Wink. The things that each race does could be interesting to create.
Orcs: drink and regain health faster for glories of war.
Imps: Increased speed from excitement.
Impanzees: are social creatures, so I guess they could gather somewhere in your dungeon that's closest to wild Impanzees. Or go on a killing spree of bats.
Pighens: Go on an eating binge, producing more food.
Fishmen: I have no clue...Maybe just go swimming in local lakes.
Cyclotauars: Need more a back history of these guys to make any kind of a statement.
I'm not including Rogues or Knights as they won't have any reason to celebrate.

Hm, y'know, it's funny. I never thought of a buff being implemented. But that could be neat. I t could certainly produce the 'moral' I've heard is included in game, which seems to be linked to productivity, I think?

And I like these ideas, but we have to consider the drawbacks that could transpire if we link it to the consumption of goods. Such as food eating, or ale drinking. And that being, that the celebration might actually wind up screwing the player.. Suddenly everyone wants beer, food and alike at once, that could be rather damaging, no?
22-11-2014 06:14 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Ah, I see, it does make more sense for it to be a game time thing and not real world events. In fact, that could be expanded as a tweak to the current environment to include seasons, holidays, day/night times (only applicable on surface), and maybe even weather. I know there's a lot of effort now on optimization, but I hope this stays an active topic to maybe get some application further down the road.

(22-11-2014 06:14 AM)KhaosFrog Wrote:  Also, I totally don't get your joke... But that's because I don't recruit dirty fishmen.. I have my orcs eat them.Dodgy

LOL! Kinda gotta have em if you want fish now, but anyways the Orc was giving the Fishman a hard time by saying it was ok he got beer spilled all over him since he was 'waterproof', but also implied disrespect for the flailing fishman; maybe no so well on the last part tho.
26-11-2014 01:03 AM