Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2014.11.22 - Working in the dark
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2014.11.22 - Working in the dark
Hi all,

As the headline suggests I have been working on Dwelvers like crazy the last weeks despite not showing that much progress on the forum.

So, sorry for the inactivity on the forums, and for not releasing the next version on time. The reason for this is that I got a little bit more on my hands than I expected.

When finishing the optimization and some of the bugs I made went through all the features of the game to make sure that they worked correctly, unfortunately they didn't. With the optimization I made it so that the all the 2D rendering is handled by one thread and all the 3D rendering by another, this cause some issues with the creature menu because it is mixed with both, and the result was that some of the function was made invisible. This is of course solvable but would take a day to solve, but as I am not fully pleased with the creature menu at its current state I decided to redo it, this was three - four days ago. Why I haven't posted any news since or explained the delay was because I didn't want to write another wall of text without showing any visual improvements.

So here we go, this is the new design of the creature menu:

[Image: CreatureCharacter.png]

This menu will replace the old creature menu completely, and it is already more user-friendly and packed with more features than the old one. I wanted to keep the visualization of the creature being looked at, therefore I made the mirror. On the right of the mirror you can see all the stats the creature has just like in the old menu, and below the window it is possible to switch between creature types by clicking the tabs and then the creature by clicking on the specific creature.

This menu is called the character menu because it shows details about the character. If we click the next tab we will see this:

[Image: CreatureEquipment-1.png]

This is the equipment menu, and here the player can see the equipment this specific creature has and be able to change it if he wants too. If he decides to change the equipment he will have to click the manual button, this will mean that he will override the auto-equipment for this creature in that equipment slot. When changing the equipment it will not happen instantly as it has been doing before, the new item will flash above the already equipped item with an hourglass on it showing that this is the item that the creature will change into, and once the creature has equipped the item the flashing will disappear and be rendered permanently.

The next menu is the race menu:

[Image: CreatureRace.png]

This menu is a little larger as the creatures can no longer be selected at the bottom, only the creature type. Right now it only contains auto equipping features, but the plan is that it will contain more race dependent options in the future.

Here the player will be able to choose three items that will be prioritized for equipping for this slot and race. The player can also choose to not have any items prioritized at all, or disable the auto equipment completely to force the player to manually equip all the creatures of this type unless he wants them to run around naked.

This will mean that from now on all creatures will be born without equipment. But to make it a little bit easier for the players I will make it so that the Orcs (for example) will start with auto-equipment on hide armor and wooden clubs, and then let the Dark Mother puke out some of these items for the creatures to equip at start.

The idea is that this new creature menu will set the standard for future menus in the game, I want the items menu to look the same and be on the left side, so that these two menus can interact with each-other.

I also want to show of the new feature of being able to lock the creature production:

[Image: CreatureDisableProduction.png]

As seen here we now have a lockpad included in the bottom left menu, when activated this creature type will no longer be produced until the player unlocks it. Then if the player don't want to produce a certain creature type at all he should just avoid building beds for them.

So that was it for now, once again, sorry for the delay. I will probably not be able to release a new version this upcoming week either because of all the changes, and if we now have waited this long I really want to be able to give you a version packed with new features.

On a side note. I know that some of you may expect me to release a new version at least once every twice or third week (mostly because I said so myself). But when problems like this one arises I get very stressed because of this "deadline", I ask you all to be patient with me. I work best and fastest when I don't have "deadlines" hanging over me. This don't mean that I will take longer time on me to release new versions, sometimes it will probably be once a week, while other times up to a month between releases. This is not optimal, I know, Dwelvers will sell better if I were more active on the forums and released the game more often, but as I am the only programmer I need the space to be able to work the best the can.

Thanks for understanding Smile
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 01:47 PM by Sebt.)
22-11-2014 01:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

RE:
Looks great much better than the old one keep it up Rasmus Smile
22-11-2014 01:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: 2014-11-22 - Working in the dark
IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! Take all the time you need. It makes waiting worth it. As I am not tech savy, this makes it so we the players don't have to report as many bugs. (though I do enjoy finding them and sharing it with everyone else here on the forums.) Though I must ask, what do the 3,2,1 little white bars above the item auto equips meant?
22-11-2014 03:05 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
(22-11-2014 01:17 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  ...
The idea is that this new creature menu will set the standard for future menus in the game, I want the items menu to look the same and be on the left side, so that these two menus can interact with each-other.
On a side note. I know that some of you may expect me to release a new version at least once every twice or third week (mostly because I said so myself).

The new menu template looks awesome, and it really makes the UI look more uniform. It's a good standard to keep.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about putting out an update every 2 or 3 weeks. Those that have followed this game long enough know you've kept things moving forward, and it's always been staggered when it comes to updates. It's been fun following this game since it was single layer only, and I'm always anxious to see what's next, but I know these things take time. Most reasonable people will have that same opinion too, although there's always gonna be some haters no matter what.

Hey look Mag0ca! He even brought back Jonathan! Sry hadn't had much time to keep up with your vids.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 03:07 AM by Mello Tonin.)
22-11-2014 03:06 AM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Thanks all, it has been a really stressful week knowing that I was delaying with the update, so it is good to know that you all understand that everything not always goes as planned. Then again I shouldn't make promises I know I can't keep Confused I have learned lately that I am a little bit of a time optimist...

(22-11-2014 03:05 AM)Mataran Wrote:  Though I must ask, what do the 3,2,1 little white bars above the item auto equips meant?

That is the priority order of the auto equipment, they will always try to equip what is on "3", but if that isn't available it will try to equip number "2" and so on.

I want to make the auto equipment system as simple as possible to start with, then when it is tried out and working as it should we can move on towards making it a little bit more advanced. If anyone has a suggestion on how to make it better or more intuitive I am all ears Smile
22-11-2014 04:32 AM
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

(22-11-2014 04:32 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  I want to make the auto equipment system as simple as possible to start with, then when it is tried out and working as it should we can move on towards making it a little bit more advanced. If anyone has a suggestion on how to make it better or more intuitive I am all ears Smile

Ok then, that's a good idea with the priority equipping. Cool

The suggestion I have for the auto equip system is this: keep it where you can't see the items till you actually retrieve one. Though that's what it looks like you have in second photo. Otherwise, I think you have it down solid.Smile

Another suggestion that isn't related to the auto equip, but to the menu itself. In the later stages of the game, when the finer details are being hammered in, have the race tab also have an explanation of all the races, their likes and dislikes, and their personal history and quirks.Huh
22-11-2014 06:28 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
That's a culmination of community brainstorming and Dwelvers team ideas which we can see now implemented in this form. I like this idea because of this, but also best menus are which don't cover "adventure" map, it's much more flexible now, fully customizable with auto option, lovely and charming, nice and clean. Big Grin

I wonder Rasmus will player be able to save their customized settings of equipment for certain race for example? So I.e. after saving equipment settings for Impanzees on map 1 when I load map 2 I could just load from a file (or database) settings made on map 1 for Impanzee equipment?
In Civilization: Call to Power 2 there was an option to save settings for building/units, whatever listed as queue, which was super-duper handy. What's more if you didn't have certain buildings unlocked yet it loads the settings anyway and add to queue building/units, whatever already discovered - just load queue like you load a save state and so it is added what you saved. What do you think guys? For me it would really accelerate gameplay, especially in multiplayer.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 12:06 PM by Sebt.)
22-11-2014 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
I am obviously on a different time frame than the lot of you, but that doesn't matter.

Looks a lot better in functionality, and more compact. That auto-equip settings will come in handy, especially for tuning to specific races.

As above stated I personally wouldn't mind a save feature for the auto-equip. Could be saved to an xml or similar file to draw its' info from. At least I think that is how it is done. The only game that I can even think of that I have played with a saving feature for certain elements is gnomoria which saves proffessions and military settings, each as separate files. Not too many games do that, at least not the ones I have played or been playing. So that would be a nice feature to have for a from session to session settings.Smile

makes me wonder what the item window is going to look like. I am patient enough. Take your time, as it is better to have new systems not affecting old ones too much in the long run, where as bugs and the like are concerned. When you are ready is when you are ready.Smile
22-11-2014 03:48 PM
Mataran Offline
Dungeon Lord

A Dungeon Master does not do things late, nor do things too early. He will massacre you precisely when he plans to.Big Grin

I thought that this would being some smiles.
22-11-2014 05:41 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

Liking that new interface already. Looks loads more user friendly.
23-11-2014 05:34 AM
arji Offline
Dungeon Lord

Thank you so much for the update. Keep up the good work!
24-11-2014 02:38 AM