Brainstorm Room Mechanic - Different size of rooms
I like the idea of having minimal 3x3 rooms for them to be effective. Other games use this mechanic aswell.

Will this work in Dwelvers ?
Hmm, I think in Dwelvers that depends. In storage room 2x2 You can set shelves and tables too, so until we don't have big furnitures/room devices You can set every item on every tile.

Also I moved that thread to general discussion, because there is no suggestion here. Big Grin
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(07-10-2013, 08:33 PM)Sebt Wrote: Also I moved that thread to general discussion, because there is no suggestion here. Big Grin

Hahaha, I can't help feeling that we are moving around every post Anakha makes Big Grin Anakha, I just hope that you don't start to hate us for it Wink

How do you mean by 3x3 room minimum? That it must be 3x3 before enabling building in the room?
Yes, atm its possible to build 1 tile rooms. Feels weird to me Smile

And about moving all threads...i dont mind lol, i never know where to put them Smile
I agree, it do feels weird, to be honest I'm not sure yet how I want it to work in the end, the only thing I've had in mind is that buildings in the room gets more efficient if the room is bigger or have a certain layout.. But it would still be nice if there was another solution, maybe having it so that the buildings in the room requires more space, even if they don't take the space. So to be able to build a table for example it requires that the storage room is built around it..
(08-10-2013, 02:36 AM)Rasmus Wrote: But it would still be nice if there was another solution, maybe having it so that the buildings in the room requires more space, even if they don't take the space. So to be able to build a table for example it requires that the storage room is built around it..

I can see where this might be a problem. So say I build a Cookery in order to make a Brewery. Say now that a Brewery is set to require a 3x3 area to build, but I want to build it next to a wall, well now I can't because the wall is in the way. It could also get in the way of say in the same brewery I want to place a decoration, but the 3x3 area is blocking the placement.

It may be just as well to have it so that if I want to build said Brewery, before it is placed on the tiles the game looks to see if there is a 3x3 area there.
Well, I was thinking more that it requires a 3x3 area, not that it takes a 3x3 area. So a table could be placed next to it, as long as it has the storageroom surrounding it. But yeah, even this would do so that breweries can't be placed towards the wall..
If you don't mind me asking, are we discussing the issue that players can build 1-tile rooms or that players are building 1-tile sized, for example, cookery rooms for their brewery? They seem to be two different issues to me, so I'm unsure how to respond. Tongue
Both can and are. The rooms itself are at the moment useless because the player can build it in any manner he wants to, and just place the table/brewery on it.. In fact, right now the game would work just as fine without the rooms and just the objects on it.

And welcome to the forum Smile
Ah ok, I understand the conversation better now, you were referring to "rooms" as the type of room tiles, not the actual carved out area, my misunderstanding there. I don't have a lot of technical know-how, but would it be possible when placing a room-specific item it checks for x number of connected floor tiles of the appropriate type? That would allow for varying shapes with the same number of tiles. Of course, it would have to periodically double-check the number of tiles to make sure players don't just place it and sell the extra tiles they don't want.

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the welcome!
That could work Wink But it would also enable the player to make the rooms in corridors because it don't need to both wide and long, I prefer having tables and these kinds of objects in the centre of the room actually, mostly because it is very easy to get locked in otherwise.. The same would go for the prison and the farmland, it would be good to force the player to build it one tile away from the wall..
Hi,
I like how is it now because you can do what you wana and where you wana.
I think if you force player to get minimal room that ll be bad because the mecanic of gameplay can't handle it look that :

Always you need to dig and dig deeper again but in this game you can dig on sereval lvl so you can't realy make a good room exept if you put a wall again.
After that you must beware of edge wall because you can get invade so you get twice "forced" to wait or make some compromise to get a "not so bad" dungeon.

If you add minimal room that ll be hard maybe to much for "casual" or gamer and some ll trow the towel easily.

Maybe you can turn this system at you advantage like that :

The game ll detect how many room are interconnected each other and get a bonus ?
Exemple 1 farm : 10 wheat, 2farms : 12 wheat

So all players ll be happy ?
~ French Fan site Community, manager.
[Image: 195677userbarfactoriofofoxav.png]
~ Looking for Sandbox games ? look my Blog or youtube (Eng sub soon)
[Image: 176032userbarclubsandboxxavfofo.png]
I think the biggest problem with not setting a minimal size is that having a room that is one tile in size allows you to keep your initial dungeon really small and not branch out. Along with resource management, exploration is a big part of this game. Having to expand is part of that. Now it does make sense that some rooms it would be ok to have a single tile like the Bed Rooms. On the other hand, a room that contains a Brewery for example is going to need space for Imps to deliver materials to. In that instance having a minimum of a 2x2 Cookery is kind of necessary so you have the room for worker and materials. Aesthetically, you need the additional tiles (IMO) so it doesn't look bad; the wall tiles will match the room type.
I see what you mean. Some rooms definitely can fit fine with a 1x1 room, but many rooms won't work. A 1x1 store room is fine, as you can set up a shelf on a wall an imps can access it fine, perfect for a little "closet" store room in some tiny bit of spare space. For a metalworks room, 1x1 won't work as technically, the imp working the smelter, for example, won't be able to get at the lever to pour the smelted iron out, in addition to there not being any room to store production materials or finished products.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Re,
Yep some room need more than 1x1 because your imps must turn some manivell or mecanism that normal but what i would say by "choose yourself" include as well this variable so if a room like smell go for a 3x3 mini i'll be little frustrated because i like decide what kind of design my dungeon look like.

If i wana a farm + kitchen with one bread table in small area i can get it and after when my slaves ll grow in number i ll make another big room or just rebuild the last one.

I'am the kind of gamer who build piece by piece so small at begining and big after unless i can get a lot of ressource fast but in this game is not "possible" you must dig and dig over that ll change the topographic of the cave and make my dungeon look like a big garbage :p
~ French Fan site Community, manager.
[Image: 195677userbarfactoriofofoxav.png]
~ Looking for Sandbox games ? look my Blog or youtube (Eng sub soon)
[Image: 176032userbarclubsandboxxavfofo.png]