Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

New Feature! Creatures Mechanic - Swimming creatures
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Creatures Mechanic - Swimming creatures
In the current version they will just pop up onto the closest land if they get under water.

So right now I am learning the creatures how to swim to the closest land instead. This is so that when I implement lava it will be able to damage them while they are in it.

All creatures will also get an extra stat so that they can't swim forever but will drown if they are in the water to long.
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 04:27 PM by Sebt.)
19-01-2015 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: Swimming creatures (In progress)
Fuggin' neat. I support swimming creatures. Though, I'm curious, how will drowning be handled?
20-01-2015 05:14 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I was thinking about having bubbles over the creature bar that will pop as their oxygen gets low.

Now... Let them drown Big Grin

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/LetThemDrown.jpg[/IMG]

Had to add swimming animations for all the creatures...
21-01-2015 03:19 AM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
hmm... if creatures will swim now (i assume you cant drown fishman), will we still need bridges fot fisshing, or fishmen will just swim to place and catch them by themselves?

Do you plan fighting in the water, or will it be just "omg! we're all gonna die! Run the hell out of this deadly fuid!" stuff and ceasefire until on shore? (or fishman only feature)?
21-01-2015 01:21 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I would hope that swimming for most creatures would be a survival response and that bridges would still be needed to get from one side of the water to the other. For the most part, dungeon creatures should have adverse reactions to being in water and should avoid it where possible. Depending on the creature, it could generate different levels of unhappiness so if you have them in the water too long or frequently, they will become agitated. The one exception for now being the Fishman who could when Idle seek to be in the water instead of wondering around on land. As an inverse being in water would raise the Fishman's happiness.
21-01-2015 04:40 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: Swimming creatures (In progress)
I mean, how will imps, or other creatures, be able to save drowned creatures? Will other swimmers be able to drag them out and return them to the bed much as they do when fallen in battle. Because if not, drowning will become more devastating than falling in battle.
23-01-2015 12:52 AM
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Well I would imagine the imps would be able to drag them out, after all they have some time. Assuming the victi... umm drowned ally isn't too far off shore or too deep.

The pic my first thoughts was an underground pool party. lol

Nice to see they are going to swim their way when needed. Smile
23-01-2015 06:02 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Right now the swimming is mostly a survival response, they don't jump into the water of free will, but when they get into the water they just want to get out so that they don't drown.
26-01-2015 02:42 PM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

RE: Creatures Mechanic - Swimming creatures
this would be an amazing feature to the game what if fish men took 2 times longer to drown making it so all creatures can drown and maybe armour could make them swim slower
[Image: 5.jpg]
27-01-2015 04:43 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I don't know that it makes sense for the Fishmen to drown. Yeah it seems they've mastered being able to spend time on dry land, but presumably they evolved from a water based creature, and land breathing is a learned trait. Their beds are even made of water, so that could also be problematic. Really, I would rather see these guys spend more time in water than on land. It should cause distress over time if they can't spend much of their time in water, and instead of spawning on land, they should be hidden by water with only surface bubbles to indicate they are there. This way they become an ambush predator. If you aren't paying attention, you could easily lose an Imp or two to an ambush.
27-01-2015 06:09 PM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

you are correct good sir fishmen shouldn't drown.
i would hate to have to go looking for bubbles trying to find my fishmen though or would that only be "wild" fishmen.

as well would rogue be able to do a simalar thing like hiding in a building or suddenly disapear and there would only be small smoke particles to tell were he is
[Image: 5.jpg]
27-01-2015 07:57 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Well since there really isn't any direct interaction I don't see that you would really have to go looking for bubbles. If you were looking for a particular one, you could always go to the creatures menu and click to zoom on that particular one. That would be cool for Rouges to have some stealth of sorts.
27-01-2015 08:24 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(27-01-2015 06:09 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  I don't know that it makes sense for the Fishmen to drown. Yeah it seems they've mastered being able to spend time on dry land, but presumably they evolved from a water based creature, and land breathing is a learned trait. Their beds are even made of water, so that could also be problematic. Really, I would rather see these guys spend more time in water than on land. It should cause distress over time if they can't spend much of their time in water, and instead of spawning on land, they should be hidden by water with only surface bubbles to indicate they are there. This way they become an ambush predator. If you aren't paying attention, you could easily lose an Imp or two to an ambush.

Right now the Fishman can't drown, they will swim in the water and die of hunger before drowning if they can't get up.

I was thinking about giving the Fishman some special needs that they need to be close to water or be in it once in a while to be happy. That is the most basic idea of it, then later on in the process we could always elaborate it.
28-01-2015 10:09 PM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
It would be nice if creatues in water could slide down the waterfall. It was quite strange to see bunch of creatures stuck on top of a waterfall, after water poured from above. I think water should push aside most of thing on its way when spreading troughout the dungeon instead of them instantly popping up on top, and those caught in water should be pushed by water currents (if it's running water).
Just to clarify - by pushing i mean applying certain force to move them a bit, not teleport one o two blocks at once.
I think minecraft water behaviour (and things in water) is good example here.
Not sure if i should create another issue topic about that, or it can stay here. Anyway, there is still few things to do with water and swimming.
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 03:17 PM by UfoL.)
15-02-2015 03:15 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I agree, I will make it so that the creatures will float between the heights instead of popping up and down.
16-02-2015 09:54 AM