Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Feature Upgrade Environment Idea - Wall model improvement
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
I like the idea of reenforcing walls more. But, I was thinking maybe this could be something players would need to research, and would cost material to build. Maybe a tier system where they research lvl 1 reinforcement, then lvl2, then lvl 3 and so on.. each costing increasing more costly material to construct.

I dunno if I've said this outright, but I feel this game really needs more a sense of progression. Going through various tribulations and gathering various materials to better yourself. If you make it so players have to spend time and resources to research better walls, then make them spend expensive materials to construct it, the idea of impenetrable dungeon walls doesn't seem like an imbalance as much as something they have earned.

As for color changes in the walls.. I might be opening a can of worms here. But am I the only one that wouldn't mind spending extra material to make my walls whatever color I want? I mean, a large part of the appeal of this game is very minecraft. And by very minecraft, what I really mean is, very lego. I know it might be asking a lot, and probably not something for the here and now, but I'd love the option to play a little interior decorator with my dastardly labyrinths. Let me pick what wall paper I want for my dungeon of doom.

I know it's time and resourses you might not want to even consider spending atm. But, consider this. If you give people these tools. You'll provide hours upon hours of gameplay for people without adding very much elements to the game at all.

In short, don't forget people love to play with legos. We all want to pretend it's about monsters killing things. No one wants to fess up to the idea we want our dungeons to be pretty XD
27-01-2015 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Well, you could always mod the layers if they get introduced to whatever you wanted them to be. Besides the fact that this is a 3D environment where you excavate or build square tiles, I don't really see how this is very Minecraft. You are fairly limited to what you can do with tiles, and all the rooms are prefab. There are still some pretty cool things you can do with that, but in the end there will be a lot of things you can do in Minecraft that you just won't be able to do in this game.

It has been discussed about having a level editor at some point which could allow for some Legoesque feel to building a world and allow for some customization as well as extend the life of the game past multiplayer and campaign modes, but all of these things are much further down the line. The core mechanics need to be established and working in an optimal manner before any such thing can be added.
27-01-2015 06:27 PM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

RE: Environment Idea - Wall model improvement
i like the idea as the deeper your minions dig for you the harder it becomes to dig they wanted this in minecraft but it was never done and if you have seen the minecraft attempt at diffrent rock colours it didn't really work they ended up renaming them and one is named after diarea

dig faster deeper harder your work is never over my minions dig till you die Smile
[Image: 5.jpg]
27-01-2015 07:38 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
That's not a bad idea especially because that is the way it works in the real world. It wouldn't be all that hard ether to say that layer 10 may take 1 second to dig up, but layer 1 would take 5 for instance. It could even be extended to cover materials where wood may take less time than metal, and having multiple materials in the tile would add to the time it takes to dig. For a level 1 Imp the full timescale would be applied, but as the level of Imp increases, time to dig would be reduced.
27-01-2015 07:46 PM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

RE:
i think that this would be perfect but would this make it so there would be more pause in between digging and working and what of the other creatures that dig(orcs,rogues,ect)
27-01-2015 08:43 PM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

(27-01-2015 09:37 AM)KhaosFrog Wrote:  I like the idea of reenforcing walls more. But, I was thinking maybe this could be something players would need to research, and would cost material to build. Maybe a tier system where they research lvl 1 reinforcement, then lvl2, then lvl 3 and so on.. each costing increasing more costly material to construct.

The idea I have here is give the player an extra option in the radial mouse menu which says "upgrade" then the player can just click on the walls that needs upgrading (reinforcing) and the imps will take care of the rest. This option could apply to any building in the game that have an upgrade possibility. Then we should of course have some researching so that the player can't go ahead and upgrade the walls right from start.

I will get back on this very very soon Wink
28-01-2015 10:14 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

(28-01-2015 10:14 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 09:37 AM)KhaosFrog Wrote:  I like the idea of reenforcing walls more. But, I was thinking maybe this could be something players would need to research, and would cost material to build. Maybe a tier system where they research lvl 1 reinforcement, then lvl2, then lvl 3 and so on.. each costing increasing more costly material to construct.

The idea I have here is give the player an extra option in the radial mouse menu which says "upgrade" then the player can just click on the walls that needs upgrading (reinforcing) and the imps will take care of the rest. This option could apply to any building in the game that have an upgrade possibility. Then we should of course have some researching so that the player can't go ahead and upgrade the walls right from start.

I will get back on this very very soon Wink

Won't we think about to not having anything "tiered" because upgrading one by one is a waste of resource and additional work to make something useful only in beginnings or for starters and in later game forgotten and abandoned like Beetles and Flies in DK 1 because you've got Dragons and Mistresses? Big Grin
The only tier are creatures levels, but let's say they just got stronger gaining experience.

I just think if we are going to have wall upgrades let we have different kind of these upgrades. Depending on which material are used for upgrade some we could make more explosion / dig - proof, some just could have much more durability, some could have regeneration ability to auto-repair themselves after taking some damage, some could just makes climbing them faster when ladders are attached to them, etc.

Depending on materials we could also choose how would we like them too look, but that's for another story.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 10:35 PM by Sebt.)
30-01-2015 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I would say that the player could just left click and drag over the walls he want upgraded and not do it one by one. About having them upgraded in a different way depending on what they should be resistant against is a nice idea. But first I would like to make just some standard upgrades.
04-02-2015 03:29 AM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

(04-02-2015 03:29 AM)Rasmus Wrote:  I would say that the player could just left click and drag over the walls he want upgraded and not do it one by one. About having them upgraded in a different way depending on what they should be resistant against is a nice idea. But first I would like to make just some standard upgrades.

Maybe your hand turns into one holding a bricklayer's tool and you can click them on and off the same way you dig out walls?

[Image: Rose+brick+trowel+-+Speedcrete+only_2977...54_300.jpg]

Maybe not, that might not be in the animation budget right now. Still, I think this tool should be used as an Icon for reenforcing walls.

And Sebt, I really don't think this option, even if kept in a simple tier system, would become depreciated quite as quick as you might think. Also, let me mention something a little off topic right quick I will tie into this in a moment. There's been talk in another post of rock becoming more solid as you go further down. And I had an idea for something that might tie into that.

I don't want to get to descriptive with it, but basically, it involves needed to construct more complex tools in a forge room, such as steam powered drills, to excavate deeper or through harder rock after a certain point. The wall system could tie into that. Your walls resistance matching the resistance of the rock would as it gets deeper. For example, if you enforce a wall on a lower level that requires a drill to dig through, it would need a drill to do any damage to that wall. However, if you wanted to, and researched it, you could make walls higher up just as strong through the expense of material.

Maybe as you progress, the raiding adventurers get stronger tools as well?

Um, hm, I'm going to write up a short summery on that tool-room idea while I'm in the state of mind for it.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 04:42 AM by Davgoblin.)
04-02-2015 04:31 AM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

RE:
Not a huge fan of a steam drill but is a very good idea to make better tools. Id find it hilarios to have to mine stone with a cannon though Big Grin
04-02-2015 05:26 AM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

Well, to me, the hydraulics pumps already have an air of steampunk about them. And I think steam punk is cool, and could be utilized more in a sort of dark engineering. Steam powered drills, automotive printing presses. Though, I'm thinking less a Victorian style. Something more rugged, and rudimentary looking.

I'm actually drawing a little to much inspiration from an old game I absolutely adore called RUNE. Which was a game about being a viking that dies, and fights his way back out of hel to get revenge. The dwarves you encounter in the game bare more resemblance to the dwarves of myth. Which, were not nice... Swarf Alves, (Black elves) were not very nice at all.

Anyway, they have a sort of steam powered kingdom you have to cross through n your journey, but it's not very advanced, it's like giant vats and clunky cogs, a lot of it made out of wood. They even have Dwarf mechas with there arms replaced with wooden arms and giant, crudely forged massive claws. It's sort of a hard tone to describe, but it's defenately not advanced, or Victorian looking.
04-02-2015 07:39 AM
MushyroomMan Offline
The Mushroom Man

RE:
I like steampunk as well i dont want to see victorian but what your describing may work for this game but nearly everything in this game needs wood already and im always low on it i may never get to do the steamworks that you describe
Lol just imagianed a wooden drill instead of pickaxe
04-02-2015 01:03 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I like the idea of the hand changing over to a trowel when you hover over a wall that could be upgraded, and it would be really easy to do too.
04-02-2015 04:06 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

Trowel? Is that what it's called? Huh.. I did not know that..

Oh, and your right, I got confused and thought the hands were animated for some reason. So, would not be as hard to implement.

So, the question remains, how would one be able to look at a wall, and tell either what type, or tier it is, simply through a visual glance? If you go with multiple tiers, maybe the tops designs you've been toying around with could suit this need? Have different 'toppers' for corresponding level of reenforced wall?
04-02-2015 11:29 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Having the appearance change would be the easiest way. You could start with a basic looking wall, next upgrade could use rock + wood so the wall would get some wood details to it, then rock + iron and iron details would be added, and finally rock + gold ad gold elements would be added to it.
05-02-2015 11:41 PM