Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

New Feature! Environment Idea - Catacombs
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Environment Idea - Catacombs
So, first look at the catacombs. The walls will be repainted and we will have more skulls in there soon enough Smile

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/Catacombs.png[/IMG]

What has happen here is that the imps has transported some dead impanzees to the graveyard, and by doing this they will be resurrected as ghosts (explained here: http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php...7#pid11467).

There are also a new stone fence in this picture and a fireplate that can be put on the ground for extra light in those big halls Smile

The idea is that these catacombs will be randomly put out just like the impanzee rooms on the map. But the fun part about the catacombs is that they can contain any creature, as long as it is a ghost version of it Smile
(This post was last modified: 20-02-2015 08:56 PM by Sebt.)
20-02-2015 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
LOVE IT! Looks great can't wait to see it in game. Will there be a way to rebuild these at some point? So whatever tiles the Catacombs are randomly placed could be marked as ok to replace damaged/destroyed tiles. That's one of the things I'd like to see with the Impanzee rooms too. It kinda sucks when those get destroyed and you lose the boost for Impanzee creation.
20-02-2015 02:47 PM
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Nice. I was wondering what those railings were... Then I read further. Some more options in building. All good to see and hear. Braziers are a nice touch.

I was wondering the same as Mello in that if able to recreate the rooms eventually. Whether locked in progress or not. If was way to do so until one of these are found that would be a decent way to go about unlocking them; at least I think so... assuming we get option to build eventually.Smile
20-02-2015 06:43 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I was trying to remember that word Tamorr...braziers. That was looping in my head since this morning. Thanks for breaking the cycle!
20-02-2015 07:57 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: Environment Idea - Catacombs
Quote:I actually had this weird idea for catacombs that might be cool. See, in most games, you play the hero and you go into catacombs to find some ancient treasure or free damned souls. But, I was thinking. How did these catacombs get overrun with monstrous undead? And considering we're sort of going with a sort of role reversal thing. What if catacombs were peaceful before we dreadful hands wonder along? Maybe we could be the cause of such unrest..

I was thinking something along these lines. Perhaps to gain undead to your cause, you must first find a set of catacombs, then locate the center of it which is guarded by a Benevolent Spirit. which I imagine to look like a benevolent king with a sort of.. genie tail thing. After you conquer him, then you can use your Nercolites (which is my version of a low tier mage creature, but y'know, whatever creature is made to suit that role) to raise various types of undead from the coffins. Maybe evenhaving to make offerings at the center that would help you maintain control over them, making them points you need to defend, which lines up with the theme of heroes coming to plunder cursed crypts.

And we are attuned with the whole grave yard thing, Mushroom, I think that would serve as a wonderful indicator there are catacombs beneath the surface. Perhaps even having some of them surrounded in a more solid rock so they can only be accessed from above at the beginning of the game?

Also, I sort of like the idea of a sewer biome beneath human cities. I like the idea of an biome that expands underground as well as above, sort of growing as the humans grow. Maybe this is where Rats could be found to aid in the construction of ratmen?

Some of these concepts might already be a little deprecated from what ya'll have in mind. But I figured I'd throw it up here in case it sparks any ideas.

Having a chest that requires gold in the center to maintain control over the ghosts that are made in these halls might be a nice counter balance measure so players don't simply kill off there murder force for some cheap iron clad defense like a massive army of undead ghost orcs. Which I can imagine might be a game breaker, if some form of counter balance isn't set.

Having each undead require a gold amount to remain loyal to you would suit that need.. and if heroes or unruly rogues happen to steal that gold, or to much of your workforce is slaughtered, well, having the ghosts revolt and being slaughtering your own minions as well would certainly suit that need.

But, then, I'm not privy to the entire idea, just making an observation.
21-02-2015 03:16 AM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE: Environment Idea - Catacombs
(20-02-2015 02:47 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  LOVE IT! Looks great can't wait to see it in game. Will there be a way to rebuild these at some point? So whatever tiles the Catacombs are randomly placed could be marked as ok to replace damaged/destroyed tiles. That's one of the things I'd like to see with the Impanzee rooms too. It kinda sucks when those get destroyed and you lose the boost for Impanzee creation.

I will make the impanzee room and the catacombs a optional building, but only after the player has taken over one of those buildings.

(21-02-2015 03:16 AM)Davgoblin Wrote:  Some of these concepts might already be a little deprecated from what ya'll have in mind. But I figured I'd throw it up here in case it sparks any ideas.

Having a chest that requires gold in the center to maintain control over the ghosts that are made in these halls might be a nice counter balance measure so players don't simply kill off there murder force for some cheap iron clad defense like a massive army of undead ghost orcs. Which I can imagine might be a game breaker, if some form of counter balance isn't set.

Having each undead require a gold amount to remain loyal to you would suit that need.. and if heroes or unruly rogues happen to steal that gold, or to much of your workforce is slaughtered, well, having the ghosts revolt and being slaughtering your own minions as well would certainly suit that need.

But, then, I'm not privy to the entire idea, just making an observation.

I like those ideas you presented there, but at the moment I will keep it simple so that I can move on to the next feature and so on. I can always get back to it later and polish it Smile
24-02-2015 02:51 PM
Davgoblin Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
It may be good, honestly, I'm a little curious on how exactly gold will work it's way into the game. I had a few radical ideas, but, y'know, I already have trouble focusing on the topic, so I'll shut up about that.

I do have some other ones a little more on topic that spring to mind.

Ghosts for example, should be able to phase out of reality, in essance, becoming invisible. Occasionally phasing back in as reminders of the haunted souls when not in combat.

I think this will give the mechanic a more mysterious quality to it. You'll never really be able to fully get a scope of how many ghosts you actually control, or where a lot of them actually are.. And, further more, it will give the ghosts themselves a more omnious, other wordly feel to them. Rather than just being some transparent units that you don't need to feed or provide for.

This could also give them a slight bit of a frightful factor in positions where the player is pitted against ghosts, rather than being there master. As they could be, well, anywhere.. You could wonder into an enemy stronghold and suddenly find yourself over run by the malicious apparitions.

Ghosts also, should not be hindered by lava, or walls. Simply passing through, or over them with ease. They also should not be hindered by 'elevation'. However, I think they should not be able to cross water, which is typically a mythos attributed to vampires. This would provide some limitation to them that can be easily overcome by other creatures, and allowing for water placement to be used in a defensive manner against them.

I think this might be a good weakness not only for these Revenants, but for all undead in general. Though I'm unsure weather this large drawback will be as prudent for other undead as it would be for this concept. As well, I have no idea how other undead will operate or funtion.

Lastly, I think the name Revenants might be a better choice. Maybe that's just me.

I'm curious how the Catacombs are planned to function as well, I see the room there, but will that be the size? Catacombs, I always imagined, would be a larger environmental object, something like the biomes I spoke of before. I'm not saying that would be better, but is that an incorrect assumption? Are these things going to be about this size?
25-02-2015 12:42 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
(24-02-2015 02:51 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  I will make the impanzee room and the catacombs a optional building, but only after the player has taken over one of those buildings.

It would also be nice to be able to build the statue too, and any other associated objects. Since they are already in the game, I would think this is a really simple thing to do. Plus it would be nice to have the Impanzee statue to go along with the Orc statue.

(21-02-2015 03:16 AM)Davgoblin Wrote:  Ghosts for example, should be able to phase out of reality, in essance, becoming invisible. Occasionally phasing back in as reminders of the haunted souls when not in combat.

...You'll never really be able to fully get a scope of how many ghosts you actually control, or where a lot of them actually are...

...should not be hindered by lava, or walls...not be hindered by 'elevation'...not be able to cross water...

...the name Revenants might be a better choice...

I like the 'phase out of reality' thing a lot. It would add to the ghostly feel of the character, but I'm not keen on the idea of not knowing how many ghosts you control. They should show up in the bar with your other creatures, and if invisible when you click on the picture to zoom to them, that would force them to reappear. What good is being a Dungeon Master if there can be friendly yet rouge units?

I can get the movement limitations, but the going through walls part would make it a bit too easy to amass a group of ghosts to strike at someone and completely avoid all defenses. Sure you could build a moat of water around your center, but there may be levels where water isn't close enough for this strategy to work. Plus that would force you into building a moat every time.

Since ghost is pretty generic and you don't get to use the word Revenants a lot ('ever') I think using that term would be cooler. I love when I have to look up a new word, and I'll admit I've never heard this one before.
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2015 05:36 PM by Mello Tonin.)
25-02-2015 05:35 PM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Cool things i see Smile

I'd name it Crypt instead, as it refers to room, or some smaller area. Ctacombs reminds rather whole dungeon filled with crypts. Just my point of view.

Imho it looks a bit odd to see imps leaving rotting corpses on the floor. Why not throw them into that lovely sarcophagus? Or there could be burial pit covered by steel grid trapdor, kind of mausoleum entrance, sacrificial table/altar, or some bottomles chasm to place corpses until they're "done".

Few pics to show what i mean.
[Image: My_Favorite_Crypt_2_by_Fluff_E_Kitty.jpg]
[Image: 34427738.jpg]
[Image: 180px-SR-trap-Trap_Door.jpg]
[Image: 27791-3-1354594570.jpg]
[Image: Ahrim%27s_tomb.png]

You mentioned about skulls, bone piles, coffin shelves etc. I think it would be nice to leave player the choice where to put them instead of generating them randomly, just like it is with beer barrels in coockery room.

Restrictions to the ammount of undead could be very simple i think. Each sarcophagus can hold only few corpses and maintan few ghosts. Each new ghost need some time to spawn occupying sacrificial/burial utility furniture. This way you'd need to expand crypt to control more ghosts. And there would be use for three parts of furniture. Bone pit to store excess corpses before processing (limited capacity as well). Altar(or whatever) where one corpse at a time is processed to take ghost out of it. And sarcophagus to maintain existing ghosts.

Occasionally some wraith/evil spirit could spawn. This one could have powers and limitation mentioned above: semiflying, blink from place to place, vulnerable to water, fear etc.
[Image: 1095864.jpg]
[Image: 278315.jpg]
[Image: Beast_oblivion_wraith.png]
http://i17.tinypic.com/2vnroe9.jpg
06-03-2015 12:44 AM