My New Idea Room Idea - Jigoku Drawbridge
• Jigoku Bridge •

Info
You know... if this were a dungeon managing game, then a drawbridge should be handy one. Ever played Dungeon Siege II? Lot's of dungeons there contain bridges which can be activated through levers, hidden buttons and also pressure plates. Instead of hauling the bridge upward, it is a bridge connecting the starting platform toward the end or both bridges connecting to the center. Well... I can't seem to type the right words to describe it. If you don't get it, just comment and I'll post an example. Thanks and may you go forward for this game. Big Grin

Appearance
Like jigoku bridge.

Stats
Highlight: Path connector and cutter bridge.
Acquired By: Player
Cost: Not specified....

Room mechanisms:
It's a room and mechanism itself together.

Room decorations:
Not specified...

If you wonder about the word "jigoku", then it's actually the Japanese word for "hell". Sleepy

Added to Ideas & Game Features list. ^^
~Sebt
(I used "up" here for explaining when the drawbridge is walkable, I know that you meant having them connect at the ground plane.)
Like this right?
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/....02.lg.jpg

I like that idea. I have been thinking about it, but there is one issue. Lets say that when the drawbridge is "up", then the creatures can't walk that direction. But if they walk on the pressure pad the drawbridge will go down and a path will open.

So, the issue is the following; If the imps want to use the drawbridge they will have to first walk on the pressure plate and the over the drawbridge, but then the imps have to know this. Because right now they only search for the closest path to the destination possible and they will not take the drawbridge because it is up.
If I add the pressure pad into the calculations, I would have to add all pressure pads to the calculations. So lets say that we have 10 pressure pads, first the imps search the level for available paths (before walking them), and every time there is a pressure pad in the along the path the imps will have to search all the available paths once again to see if a path have open, and if it have, (like in this case) they will first walk to the pressure pad that opens the drawbridge and then over drawbridge, (but only if it is a shortcut).
So it can be very heavy for the computer, it is like creating an AI for a chessgame, after thinking 8 moves ahead it will become very demanding as every move is exponential..
This is of course a brute force solution, and there are probably some algorithms that could help me do it a lot faster..

But this can be solved if the player "tells" the creatures that if they want to walk over the drawbridge they will have to walk on the pressure pad first, meaning that he will have to pre-decide the paths for them and this can get messy..

The last solution is to just leave it be, add the drawbridge and not use it as a shortcut for the creatures.. Or maybe use it like doors like now..

I will probably add a drawbridge because I really like the idea, but there will be some heavy calculations involved if we want it to work with the pressure pads and have a smooth game play..

Sorry if I got to technical, but as soon as a mechanic is used as a shortcut and can block the path, there can be an issue in the game-play because the creatures will not easily know how to activate it..
I see your point... Well then, you could just limit the pressure pads connected to the drawbridge ( maybe from 1-3 ), or automatically activate the drawbridge when any allied creatures go near then deactivate if there aren't any nearby. I'd rather recommend option 2, if any enemy units go near the drawbridge while allied units are crossing just leave it activated until both enemy and allied units aren't near the drawbridge.

Oh for the example, nice one.
(12-10-2013, 03:21 PM)Rasmus Wrote: I will probably add a drawbridge because I really like the idea, but there will be some heavy calculations involved if we want it to work with the pressure pads and have a smooth game play..

Would it work better if a pressure pad was not a trigger? Instead have the game know to open or close the door/drawbridge based on:
  1. Friend/Foe
  2. Locked/Unlocked
If the door/drawbrige is locked then close path. Otherwize, leave the path open for plotting.

The game could set a tile as an active trigger X number of tiles away from the door/drawbridge or all tiles up to those objects. The drawbridge could retract if an enemy was on an active tile (close path), or be lowered if an enemy has not been on an active trigger tile for X number of seconds (open path).