Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Feature Upgrade I & S - Upgraded minimap
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

I & S - Upgraded minimap
You may have noticed in earlier screenshots I have shown that the mini-map has been changed in the upper right corner.

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/Minimap.png[/IMG]

The changes are that the mini-map is now static and will not move around with the camera. The camera on the other hand will move around inside the mini-map, the mini-map also shows friendly and enemy creatures, as well as rally flags that have been put out by the player.

If a battle occurs somewhere in the dungeon it will be circled in on the mini-map so that the player can reach the destination as fast as possible. This can be done by simply left clicking on the mini map and the camera will move to that location Smile

What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 06:51 PM by Sebt.)
30-03-2015 03:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
That sounds quite helpful to me. Don't really like map rotation in most games that have them in the mini-map. So having it static or an option to do so seems best. Utilizing clicks on mini-map to go somewhere will get to discovered places quicker, so I say why not. Also makes sense so you know which way is actually north, even if a symbol of some kind could designate that.

Looking forward to other improvements or possible improvements in the future.Smile
30-03-2015 03:51 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Nice! It would be cool to have a key also to bring up an expanded version of this similar to DK where you get a full screen map and you can navigate from there as well. I don't think the previous minimap was all that helpful, but this will actually get some use. Can we zoom in and out with the pointer over the minimap and using the scroll wheel? If not that would be a nifty feature as well.
30-03-2015 02:28 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Right now the mini-map is what you see Wink
Later on we could have options on the mini-map so that we could filter away certain objects or creatures in the dungeon so that it will be easier to see.
31-03-2015 10:49 AM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
few cool new features Smile
I somehow liked how map blended with background in old version. Not very keend on border around it. Just my personal view.
04-04-2015 02:11 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Please just make sure the minimap rotates with the camera. They didn't do that in WftO, and that's one of my gripes over there right now.
04-04-2015 08:53 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
But you know UfoL, Rasmus love borders, they're everywhere, especially in menus. Big Grin

I second the idea of rotating minimap. I personally like to see which direction I'm looking at now, like in DK 1 where the minimap was really well-made - it was a line showing where to go to your Dungeon Heart, there was N showing where is north and there was possibility to zoom in/out minimap view by typing +/- on the keyboard (in non-possesion mode there was even +/- buttons around the minimap) also you could clearly see where you put your Call for Arms flag.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 10:51 PM by Sebt.)
04-04-2015 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE: I & S - Upgraded minimap
(04-04-2015 02:11 PM)UfoL Wrote:  few cool new features Smile
I somehow liked how map blended with background in old version. Not very keend on border around it. Just my personal view.

I removed the borders, and I agree, it looks better!

(04-04-2015 08:53 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  Please just make sure the minimap rotates with the camera. They didn't do that in WftO, and that's one of my gripes over there right now.

How do you mean rotates with the camera? Like rotates instead of the camera? If the whole map is visible and it rotates instead camera then it could be very disorienting for the player. I don't think any RTS games rotates the map instead of camera nowadays.

(04-04-2015 10:48 PM)Sebt Wrote:  But you know UfoL, Rasmus love borders, they're everywhere, especially in menus. Big Grin

True, I like to keep clear boundaries. Don't want it to get messy. Maybe aI go a little overboard sometimes Tongue

(04-04-2015 10:48 PM)Sebt Wrote:  I second the idea of rotating minimap. I personally like to see which direction I'm looking at now, like in DK 1 where the minimap was really well-made - it was a line showing where to go to your Dungeon Heart, there was N showing where is north and there was possibility to zoom in/out minimap view by typing +/- on the keyboard (in non-possesion mode there was even +/- buttons around the minimap) also you could clearly see where you put your Call for Arms flag.

Ones again, I am not sure about the rotating minimap. Starcraft and other games have a static minimap so that it is easier to just click on it when you want the camera to go somewhere.
07-04-2015 01:07 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: I & S - Upgraded minimap
(07-04-2015 01:07 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Ones again, I am not sure about the rotating minimap. Starcraft and other games have a static minimap so that it is easier to just click on it when you want the camera to go somewhere.

Whenever a game have rotating minimap it also have additional static map that can be called by player i.e. after pushing "m" button on keyboard... Maybe you could leave a choice for player to have static minimap or rotating with direction of camera position is looking at now?
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
07-04-2015 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Hmm, lets feel this one first, if there are a need for a rotating minimap I will implement it Smile
07-04-2015 04:27 PM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
I wonder how difficult would be to go for a "supreme commander" map type. It had some minimap based on heightmap - nothing fancy, but what was it's great feature was the main strategic map. You could just zoom out with mousewheel as long as you see whole map. At some point the map will blend and change from detailed close view to more simplified but readable look. At final point it was looking like bigscale of the minimap. I found that kind of map interaction really handy, especially on large maps - there was even 100x100km ones. In fact, the ease in operating map there let me forget the minimap.
Scroll the wheel - you see the area. Sroll a bit more you're in strategic view. Point a place and scroll in - instantly back to action in pointed area. In game it needed only mousewheel to use map actually. I didn't even moved camera by touching screen edges - just zoom out a bit, see whole view, and zoom in back in another desired point.
When many level maps in games serve only as level presentation, in supreme commander when zoomed out even to max, the map still keeps all the features of command interface - every click send orders, select units, pick tagets, set up (multiplayer mostly) tags etc.
Actually the mechanism there was kind of adaptive degradation, where level od detail gradually decreased, some models was replaced by small icons and so on. I'm not sure about engine abilities in dwelvers, but maybe similar map invoking method would work here as well? You zoom map as usual, but at some point view will gradually transform into flat map. How about that?
11-04-2015 04:18 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
What I was meaning as far as the minimap rotating was that whatever direction is up from the main game screen's view should be at the top part of the minimap. If you rotate the game screen so that now what was up is now to the right of your view, then the minimap would also rotate that to the right so what was to the left of your viewpoint from the first scenario would now be at the top in the minimap.

I don't always click to zoom on a minimap and often use directional keys to navigate to a point on the minimap. So in WftO for example the map stays static and you have a cone to designate the viewer's perspective. Sometimes when I navigate to the left without figuring my viewpoint on the map I'm actually going up. It can get confusing, and I got to the point where I couldn't stand using the map for that very reason.
13-04-2015 04:06 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I see what you mean, and it is not a big change. I will try to get this option in there!
13-04-2015 05:17 PM