Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Feature Upgrade I & S - Building all at once
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

I & S - Building all at once
I felt it was getting a little confusing when building rooms, my problem was that the building costs were all spread out, and sometimes the room got incomplete and then you had two rooms etc.

So this is my solution to this:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/BuildingAllAtOnce.png[/IMG]

- When building a room the collected building cost will only be shown at one tile instead of having it spread out at every tile.
- The materials for the room is still spread out over all the tiles that needs to be built.
- When building the room it is built at once from one tile.

One more thing, as seen in the screenshot the room icon is also shown so that the player can see with more ease what it is that is being built. This applies to all constructions sites.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 05:00 PM by Sebt.)
09-04-2015 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello
Evil Admins

RE:
I like it! No more flags hopping around!
10-04-2015 12:20 AM
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

RE:
That's awezum idea!
Hmm it could apply to same placing process, I mean when you choose a room and draw a 3x3 square you could see how much it cost already before placing that 3x3 room.

Also when player click/hover mouse on that culminated construction site this site could highlight itself delicately so player is able to see how big exactly construction site is. You know, sometimes there could be other room construction site, so player will easily locate what construction site is he actually looking at, where this construction site starts and where it ends.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 04:59 PM by Sebt.)
10-04-2015 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Definitely up for it, plus what Sebt said.
The hovering invo should appear near the cursor - in case of rooms large, longer, or of unusual shape the info icons could appear in unexpected place, or out of view and be missed out if left on whole construcion site cental point.

Will they build room tiles one by one, from one side to the end now, or they will still build several random tiles at once?
11-04-2015 05:53 AM
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Well this will make farms easier to build... Always didn't like how the gate hopped around.><

So to me this would be an improvement.Smile
12-04-2015 12:23 AM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE: I & S - Building all at once
(10-04-2015 04:58 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Also when player click/hover mouse on that culminated construction site this site could highlight itself delicately so player is able to see how big exactly construction site is. You know, sometimes there could be other room construction site, so player will easily locate what construction site is he actually looking at, where this construction site starts and where it ends.

This is something I will try to implement with the next version. Not saying that I will to 100%, but it is something that will be implemented!

(11-04-2015 05:53 AM)UfoL Wrote:  Will they build room tiles one by one, from one side to the end now, or they will still build several random tiles at once?

After all the construction materials been delivered to all the room tiles, then the worker will only need to build one room tile and the rest will be built at the same time.

(12-04-2015 12:23 AM)Tamorr Wrote:  Well this will make farms easier to build... Always didn't like how the gate hopped around.><

So to me this would be an improvement.Smile

The farm land in the farm room is still built tile by tile, it is only the rooms that are affected by this. But we may find a solution to this as well Smile
13-04-2015 05:14 PM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
(13-04-2015 05:14 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  After all the construction materials been delivered to all the room tiles, then the worker will only need to build one room tile and the rest will be built at the same time.
Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I liked that they built it tile by tile, but i didn't like the way they distributed materials. If you order building big room you'd have to wait quite long untill all materialls are finally gathered... and lets say you miss few pieces of mats to finish it... it remains unfinished even longer. And then one imp magically pops all of it at once. Im not really concerned.
It would piss of any player that want something quickly - either in multiplayer where everyone want everything quicker than opponent, or at harder difficulties. It would end up with players forced to build rooms tile by tile manually to be able to place orc bed as soon as first bedroom tile is built.
Look at the starcraft for example - imagine how crippling would it be if Zerg would have to wait untill his hive pours all the creep it's got before he could actually place any building at all. Waiting for whole room to build at once would make sense if it was single predefined structure with already built worksites, but it's not.

For now when they build rooms tile by tile, room gains some of the functionality right after several tiles are done. The problem is that materials are distributed to random tiles all at once instead of trying to fill tiles one by one. In effect lot of small rooms are created disconnected from each other, somethimes reserving half of early manpower. Also it's annoying to see five tiles filled with wood, and five filled with stone next to each other = 10 unfinished tiles instead of 5 working.

I say yes to common building storage for whole room blueprint, or rather every connected blueprint of same type. This way it doesn't really matter which tile imp think need mats to build, and uneffective mats distribution is gone. After enough materials are delievered to the site for at least one tile to be built, builder gets to work and build as much of tiles as he can with current materials - one by one. Order at which tiles are built is set so that room is built from one corner to another - preferably without spaces if it's possible. Start point would be set for tile which was clicked at first when draging blueprint.
This way player isn't bored waiting for whole room to be built and can queue room improvements earlier. Room is built more naturally, smooth and efficiently - no 1x1 small rooms reserving imps are created - and quicker in the end.

Also small suggestion from my side - i think that room should not reserve any worker, until there is at least one construction he could use to work - otherwise he just stare at the wall.
14-04-2015 09:16 AM