Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2015.05.07 - News on the 0.9 progress
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2015.05.07 - News on the 0.9 progress
As you all may know the 0.9 version is on the way, this is a big update because it will feature the surface world and introduce raiding. It will probably take another week before the release though because I want everything to work as it should first.

The last thing I've been working on is the crowd control. As seen here (http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php?tid=1320) the creatures sometimes get stuck when moving through small corridors. To solve this issue I have been working on something called crowd control which can be seen here as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZqssKXHiE

With the new road system and that the creatures are able to claim them themselves there have been some side effects. For example, when is a enemy room or portal going to be claimed. At first I thought about using the rally flag and giving the workers permission to claim the room where the rally flag is. But this would mean that only one room can be claimed at a time, and also that a lot of creatures that don't care about the room claiming will be there as well. So my second solution and the one I am having right now is that if a road is being built and led up to the room, then the workers will claim that room as well.

When working on the crowd control as explained above I also implemented something called heat maps into the game, here is one example on a heat map showing the death of creatures (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/12521...Maps.php), and a heat map like that could be useful as it will show the areas certain non-fighting creatures should avoid. But I did it a little different, instead of having the death of creatures I made it so that heat is coming from the enemies and cold is coming from the allies and spreading across the dungeon. In this way the creatures that wants to fight will divide themselves equally between the enemies by following the heat. In the same way creatures that wants to flee can just follow the cold to get into safety. This is just a simple example what a heat map can be used for, in the future we will see that it will have a lot of other uses as well.

So right now there is a lot of tinkering to get all the features to co-exist with each other Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 05:40 PM by Sebt.)
07-05-2015 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Thanks for the update. I'm really excited about all the new features, and I think v0.9 is gonna be a real leap forward just like when Dwelvers went multi-layer. I would definitely like to spend next weekend in front of my computer playing around with Dwelvers.
07-05-2015 02:48 PM
UfoL Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Wow, heat system seem very promising. Hope you get it working well Smile
07-05-2015 09:43 PM