Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2015.06.17 - Dwelvers Alpha 0.9c released - Time to raid the surface!
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Perhaps you are right Sebt, we will see. I will probably open up one thing at a time at the surface and go from there as long as it don't get messy.
05-07-2015 11:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SGrayWolf Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
Some thoughts that came to mind for me on this...

Let's say, the player is allowed to do most/many of the things on the surface that (s)he is allowed to do underground. The first thing that pops into my mind is -- Will that be too much for the player to have to defend, protect and manage both of those areas (underground and above ground both)? I'm certainly not against giving that option to the player, if they feel they are able to and want to go that route but there probably shouldn't be any requirements that they have to do so.

We don't want things to become TOO TAXING on the player but if a good balance between (challenge vs fun) can be achieved, I'm all for it! It's a totally different ballgame of course but it does warrants investigation into for later on!
06-07-2015 08:06 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
(06-07-2015 08:06 PM)SGrayWolf Wrote:  Will that be too much for the player to have to defend, protect and manage both of those areas (underground and above ground both)? I'm certainly not against giving that option to the player, if they feel they are able to and want to go that route but there probably shouldn't be any requirements that they have to do so.

True, it's not easy to focus on two different realms at the same time, but let's face it - if everyone will have access to the "second realm" which in Dwelvers is the Surface I'm sure they'll be wishing to conquer whole that realm, so battles and defends will have to take a place there if each of them want to take over the Surface goods and wipe out those who invades your dungeons (or if there will be possibility to play humam side - wipe out a danger that comes from Underworld and with humans you would start the game on the Surface not in Underworld). I always wondered how we could conquer human lands in Dungeon Keeper only fighting against them under the ground if their castles and cities are build on the Surface like they have no military units there? Dodgy

This concept of playing on two realms at the same time is not the new one - in Civilization: Call to Power 1, you could switch between the Earth and Earth's orbit where you can build cities here there. Also the new ANNO 2205 will be about building cities that consist of houses and production buildings on the Earth first and later on the Moon (!).

What connects both is that you can do the same things on Space Orbit / Moon like on the Earth, but except that everything there - buildings, resources, units - are made separately for those second realms and there's much much less to build there many of mechanism that you know from playing on Earth couldn't be applied to the Space expansion.

Second realms so are treated like colonies - they're supporting your mother land and are not being made to replace your main world, so I think in Dwelvers for a every Dark Mother's servants the Surface world will be a place full of resources, some possibly unavailable in Underworld and a place where human lives - for humans so their mother land is the Surface and Underworld is a colony - both side because of the distance from mother land, limited resources and mobility power can only build in their second realms defenses, supply unit, resource gathering points and usually they're small and doesn't matter so much like matters what they have in their mother lands.

So I see that all like this - for Surface realm for Dwelvers "Dark Mother's players" wouldn't be able to place any kind of rooms that supplies creatures, but only their production (for example Underworld creatures hates the sun or too much sweetness so they refuse to live on the Surface, or Dark Mother powers are too weak there - so here we got a natural barrier instead of unexplained artificial barrier - which could rise a question in player's head - but actually why the heck I couldn't make a Bedroom on the Surface, huh?).

(06-07-2015 08:06 PM)SGrayWolf Wrote:  We don't want things to become TOO TAXING on the player but if a good balance between (challenge vs fun) can be achieved, I'm all for it! It's a totally different ballgame of course but it does warrants investigation into for later on!

I think that's w big subject to discuss first. I think if player will be able to see what's happening on the Surface and Underworld, make instant transition between them at the same time somehow that wouldn't be so hard to manage both realms... Yea, easy to say, but in reality that's a really big challenge for developers. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 01:25 PM by Sebt.)
07-07-2015 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
damiant Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: 2015.06.17 - Dwelvers Alpha 0.9c released - Time to raid the surface!
(28-06-2015 09:44 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  I like that idea Sebt. I think we could allow some buildings such as the guard room once it has been created.

Hi Ras and Sebt and Mel, glad to see you all still grinding out Dwelvers. Sorry went awol back when you got onto steam for the first time.

I just dl this latest version, I'll let you know if its fun.

Edit 1: Setup could use some check for this dx11 enduser runtime. get error startup for missing dll.
(This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 03:02 AM by damiant.)
22-07-2015 02:54 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Welcome back!!! I agree there should be some kind of check for this DirectX update. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to add, and I know it has come up from time to time about resolving it. Check out the solution here. Hopefully that's helpful.
22-07-2015 04:46 AM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Welcome back damiant Big Grin
I guess you mean installing it from setup.exe and not from steam? Yeah, I know. Atm I am using "Inno Setup Compiler" to create the setup files. This program seems very dynamic so I believe it is possible once I have put some time into it Smile
22-07-2015 02:02 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Welcome back damiant. Yeah we're srill grinding like the nerdiest nerdy nerds in MMORPG games and we're still leveling up. Level 113666325 is not enough!
Hope the setup will behave better next time or it will be thrown into the Pit of the Damned..
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 10:48 PM by Sebt.)
22-07-2015 10:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply