Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Game Performance issues
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

Performance issues
Hey all you dungeon Dwelvers It's been a while since I've posted anything here but I came back with the release of 0.9 and am running into some performance issues that I don't recall having before. Some of them can be explained by some of the changes like the AI changes that were done in 0.8I or J (can't recall which)

I've noticed that Dwelvers only runs on one core and don't recall if that's always been the case or if this is something new. I know SMP programming is a pain so It maybe that it's always been this way and just now I'm noticing it. I'm *fairly sure in the old 0.8 builds I could get 60FPS until I had about 100 creatures or sped up time, but now it seems like I only get 30-40 on a brand new world (even at gamespeed 0). I've also noticed that my GPU is nearly untouched running at 5% - 13%.

Doing some VERY basic testing I noticed that my FPS goes from 16 to 22 with my GPU usage dropping to 5% usage when I bump the gamespeed from 1 to 8 and CPU usage is always 100% of one core. This is with 131 creatures not doing anything super intensive just having them do their thing. While doing this I changed the processor affinity for CPU0 (the one it was using 100% of) and I seem to have gained a few FPS with the other 3 cores increasing usage to about 60% each. Enabled all processors again and core 0 is again 100%, with the other 3 sitting at about 25-35%

I know my little i5 isn't great and if this is the way it is, then it's the way it is and nothing I can do. If this is abnormal maybe someone could point me in the right direction Heart

System Specs:
i5-2500
8Gb ram
GTX-960 2Gb
GTX-560 1Gb <- physx dedicated, used to be my main on Dwelvers 0.8
17-06-2015 04:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Are you running the game in Debug? I know that one has become more demanding, but side from that I haven't noticed any performance drops.
17-06-2015 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

RE: Performance issues
(17-06-2015 04:35 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Are you running the game in Debug? I know that one has become more demanding, but side from that I haven't noticed any performance drops.

Thank you for the fast response Rasmus Smile No, I avoid the Debug button unless I actually have to Tongue

I just tried it and funny enough it's reporting higher FPS (my OSD is showing 30FPS fairly stably) but it's visibly about the same or worse.
17-06-2015 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Hmm, this is very weird, how about if you deselect v-sync and also check in the graphics options so that maximum fps isn't to low.
17-06-2015 04:56 PM
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

(17-06-2015 04:56 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Hmm, this is very weird, how about if you deselect v-sync and also check in the graphics options so that maximum fps isn't to low.

I disable v-sync in almost every game Wink, tried setting everything to low and high and it makes no noticeable difference in the frame rate (maybe 1-2FPS). I have also disabled the steam overlay, tested it in windowed and fullscreen mode, 1600x900 windowed and 1920x1080 fullscreen seem to be about the same. I maybe remembering the performance I got in the previous builds and I would expect as things get added that performance would get worse on the same system/settings.

I wonder if the game had defaulted to software rendering because it's confused about me having 2 GPU's even though the launcher is only showing the GTX-960? I don't even know if your engine has a software renderer Tongue

oh well it's just something I'll have to live with for now. If you want/need me to do anything to test this please let me know. I'll try to remove my second GPU and see if there is any change but that won't happen for a little while.

Cheers
17-06-2015 06:01 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Oh, press Alt+T in the game and select the "Show game performance", there it should show what graphic-card is currently being used in the game.
17-06-2015 06:10 PM
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

(17-06-2015 06:10 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Oh, press Alt+T in the game and select the "Show game performance", there it should show what graphic-card is currently being used in the game.

OH! O.o

That is a highly convenient menu you have there Big Grin so it is showing that it's using my 960. I tried the disable rendering option (was expecting wireframe TBH) and as expected GPU usage dropped to 3% from 17%ish but CPU usage didn't change.

This just seems to me like my system has forgotten how to load balance between the cores (or one thread is murderous), and is dumping as much as possible on one core then balancing the rest on the others but not moving the thread when it starts getting overloaded. This is of course insight from someone who knows very little about how the load balancer works or how multithreading works programmatically, so that this as nothing more than the ramblings of a lunatic who has had far too much or far to little coffee! ConfusedHuhConfusedTongue
17-06-2015 06:41 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I am going to send you an alternate Dwelvers version for you to try out. It is possible that this one will increase your speed.

You will get a PM here on the forum within the minute.
17-06-2015 08:02 PM
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

RE:
got it, i've tested it and replied via DM
17-06-2015 08:38 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
And according to your PM the speed increase was more than 100%

Does anyone else have performance issues?
17-06-2015 08:44 PM
polo5021 Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
No performance issues to note from me.
17-06-2015 08:49 PM
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

RE:
ya it was just a massive increase from 20FPS on my test world to 57FPS on the same save and GPU usage shot up to 30-40%. You're a genius Rasmus Smile
17-06-2015 08:49 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(17-06-2015 08:49 PM)polo5021 Wrote:  No performance issues to note from me.

I believe it depends on what CPU you have. I will probably make a small hot fix for this very soon Smile

(17-06-2015 08:49 PM)mag0ca Wrote:  ya it was just a massive increase from 20FPS on my test world to 57FPS on the same save and GPU usage shot up to 30-40%. You're a genius Rasmus Smile

And thank you for reporting this, I don't believe you are the only one that have this issue.
17-06-2015 08:54 PM
mag0ca Offline
Game Vlogger

RE:
ya my CPU is a tad dated now and needs some TLC but wow what a speed boost from that I hope everyone can enjoy the boost that I saw Big Grin

Hope you can figure something out that isn't too hard
17-06-2015 10:20 PM
Excess Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
I noticed this too, but only when debug was on. It lagged to the point where, when I moved the camera, I could see before the block where "loaded" and visible. It was a split second, but the game was very slow and I moved faster than the draw refresh Smile

But not with todays version, with the previous one, 0.9b.
18-06-2015 03:49 AM