Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Feedback/Modification Resource Mechanic - Too Many Resources
Xaos Offline
Digger of the depths

Resource Mechanic - Too Many Resources
I'm not sure if this is because this is an alpha and not tweaked/balanced yet, but I have noticed that there is currently a monty-haul of resources in the dungeon regardless of difficulty level. I have found that by digging all the way down from DM to 4-tiles away from the DM at the start of a game, I have pretty much enough resources to last the rest of the game. I occasionally go dig some gold and ore outside my main production area, but that is it. I have discovered that just from my imps gathering cave in resources, I will often plug up all my storage. The amount of world resources could seriously be cut down to like 10% and it would still be sufficient. Stone is the worst problem because it appears that you get stone from every single block dug out or cave ins. I end up with thousands of stone that I have no use for. I will often build massive storage rooms out in the world just to try and use up some of the stone.

<Edit> Sorry Sebt, I am still learning how to properly title/category a post. Trying to get better Tongue
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 05:33 PM by Xaos.)
01-09-2015 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
This will change once there is a balance made to the game. Right now I trade off my stone for wood and build bridges, but yeah there's still tons of stone left.
01-09-2015 03:12 PM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
This is an interesting suggestion. What if I would cut down on the resources, would this be okay? I want a smooth start, perhaps if I increased the amount of resources the player starts with and then lower the amount of resources in the dungeon?
02-09-2015 03:36 PM
Xaos Offline
Digger of the depths

RE: Resource Mechanic - Too Many Resources
(02-09-2015 03:36 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  This is an interesting suggestion. What if I would cut down on the resources, would this be okay? I want a smooth start, perhaps if I increased the amount of resources the player starts with and then lower the amount of resources in the dungeon?

This is exactly what I was envisioning. There should be enough resources to get a food chain set up and everything else should be sparse. I was thinking that maybe stone could go away completely and be replaced by some new resource that can be mined for like granite or brimstone or some such to use as building material. Just a thought.
02-09-2015 03:43 PM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Hmm, not sure I want to remove stone, in that case I could just lower the amount of stone and add another resource like brimstone that can be used for buildings as well. The important part here is that it shouldn't just be random. It should be certain areas in the dungeon where it is easier to find certain building materials.
02-09-2015 03:48 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Xaos - no problem, it's anyway my job to set a proper prefix of any thread to met our organisational agenda. Big Grin

About the suggestion what if that could be up to player when choosing right map settings to set how rich will be the map of resources?

Also I think in the future there may appear some more different types of resources or more objects that will need some these or those resources and that's a matter of how much willl be needed and what, but despite this I would like to have an ability to set a density of resources on the map - like I can do thst in Civilization games.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 07:31 PM by Sebt.)
02-09-2015 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CCXI Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
Hi.
(Im not going to be quoting, it'd make this post a long eyesore)

X) About the too much stone/it being in every block. 50%dirt 50% stone. Only stone is collected, the dirt blocks are just "dudds" (like a bullet/bomb that doesnt go boom)
Y) About the too much resources and possibly reducing total map resource amounts. Im ok with that but worried it'd take the fun out of mining. Why not drastically increase build costs for everything, except maybe your first bakery, brewery, farm, the basics needed at start) are built at discount. And definitely add stone to the 2nd and 3rd stages of road construction. More stone for the 3rd, naturally.

And heres a copy/paste of some ideas I posted on steam that are on topic with resources and their consumption.

More crafting resources like STEEL. One iron one coal to make iron ingot, then 2 coal one iron ingot to make Steel. (one coal as fuel the other coal to be mixed in) Thats how it works in real life. (but since its a game we can just say one ingot one coal, not the REAL life mixture which could be/probably is slightly different)

1) Crafting deco items out of gold. More use for gold in general, I dont see why evil monsters underground are trading with the surface...Because of this I havnt even bothered trying the trading system....so maybe im wrong and im missing out on cool trades?
2) Archers, with diff quality arrow heads, or crossbow bolts.
3) The weaker damage weapons that are currently in game, should be used by fishmen, barbarian axes by orcs, knight hammers by piggehs(?just a thought-because otherwise why have weaker damage weapons? So far ive only ever crafted barb-axes)
4) Why is iron armour weaker then bone? My guess is simply because iron is abundant and bones are slow to aquire(sorta) So a game balance issue. But really, metal>bones....how about making iron Longer to smelt therefore the ingot itself is rare like bones?
5) On that note...Crafting deco items out of bone.
6) Ability to choose what workshop items are made of. Example, barroom tables/chairs made out of bone/iron/gold. Option! Not requirment. The base item stays the same (wood/stone etc.) but we can customize what materials are used. Id love barroom tables made out of bone with tiny bit of gold detailing. Same with chairs, iron legs bone+wood seat/back.
7) BRICKS. Minable clay resources. Smelted. Brick roads
8) Paving stones (stone tiles) and wood floor tile options of different shades/colours, that we can laydown ontop of, as example, the barroom floor since I personally think the wood is too bright. These tiles could be used to customize all of our designated Rooms. Or we should have to make these first before upgrading to the 3rd/finale road speed type.
9) Or just make roads cost resources, wood stone and maybe the 3rd one takes stone thats been smelted and smoothed.

*done picking brain*
*exits stage left*
03-09-2015 07:22 PM
wildmick Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: Resource Mechanic - Too Many Resources
(02-09-2015 07:30 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Xaos - no problem, it's anyway my job to set a proper prefix of any thread to met our organisational agenda. Big Grin

About the suggestion what if that could be up to player when choosing right map settings to set how rich will be the map of resources?

Also I think in the future there may appear some more different types of resources or more objects that will need some these or those resources and that's a matter of how much willl be needed and what, but despite this I would like to have an ability to set a density of resources on the map - like I can do thst in Civilization games.

whenever i play randomly generated maps i always choose the scarcest resource option, particularly against other ai players, because then your direction is steered by the available resources you can harvest. If everyone gets the same then the ai will likely outperform me in harvesting due to its automated routines (ie: no human error). It also makes for a bit of variation. If your harvestign the same materials every game you'll get accustomed to it and the game will become dry.
04-09-2015 10:51 AM