Pass:     
Help Register

New Feature! Creature Mechanic - Creature skills
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Creature Mechanic - Creature skills
Creature skills

Today I have been working on adding some creature skills, and this is the result:

Teleporting

The Imp get the skill Teleport at level 8. This means that he can teleport to a location that is owned by the player and is reachable by foot (meaning that they can't teleport through walls), and that they can't teleport when they are carrying items, creatures and carts.

[Image: Teleporting.png]

Bullrush

The Cyclotaur get the skill Bullrush at level 4. This skill makes him charge through enemy crowds like they were thin air and he will not stop until he hits something solid.

[Image: Bullrush.png]

Stealing

The Rogue gets... You guessed it, a stealing skill from level 4. This skill gives him the ability to steal equipment from his enemies while in combat. Like in this screenshot where he stole the Orc's shield.

[Image: Stealing.png]

Hurricane

The Knight get the skill Hurricane at level 4. So when he is surrounded by enemies he is able to spin his two handed weapon around damaging all the enemies around him. This is a very powerful attack that you don't want to be in the middle off! In this screenshot you can see a combination of the Cyclotaur's Bullrush and the Knight's Hurricane.

[Image: BullrushAndHurricane.png]

What do you think? I was thinking about having somewhere around three skills per creature, so i want to hear some suggestions Wink
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2015 10:44 AM by Sebt.)
02-10-2015 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Those sound pretty good, and it's nice to see some characterization added to our existing minions. I see the Piggeh, Orc, Fishman, and Impazee got left out so I'll start there.

Piggeh:
Gore - Uses tusks to impale enemy causing a short bleed effect
Sinew Strike - Employs inherent buthering skills to strike at the enemie's sinewous areas to reduce their strength
Obnoxious Belch - [AoE] All enemies in a short radius will lose their lunch over the smell of it and be disabled for a brief time

Orc:
Shield Bash - A stunning hit from the shield briefly stopping an enemy in thier tracks
Slice and Dice - [Cone] A sweeping slice that hits all enemies in front of the Orc
War Cry - Inspires all around to increase their attack speed for a short time

Fishman:
Puffed up with Pride - A deffensive tactic to appear larger and reduce threat generated
Slip n' Slide - Fishman slides on his belly and hits all in path. Damage is lessened with each hit.
Water Shield - Harnesses water to create a bubble reducing ranged attacks significantly, and melee much less

Impazee:
Beat Chest - Impanzee beats his chest which increases damage for a bit
Barrel Roll - Tucks and rolls to nearest enemy stunning it briefly
Limb from Limb - Impanzee finishing move. When enemy is at 10% health, an Impanzee may jump on the enemy, rip off a limb, and beat him to death (yeah I know this would be a pain to animate, but fun to watch)

Imp:
Swift Feet - [Passive] Imps steadily increase speed with level starting at 2
Orc Strength - [Passive] At level 4 Imps can carry increasingly more items

Rouge:
Dual Wield - [Passive] Double the pleasure, double the fun. Two knives are better than one.
Fade to Black - Merge with the shadows to become invisible until attacked with AoE or deliver attack. Attacks made while Faded will be from the back and inflict more damage.

Cyclotaur:
Flared Nostrils - Steam spouts from the nostrils and attacks hit harder
Ground Stomp - [AoE] Leaps into the air to stomp the ground reducing enemy hit accuracy

Knight:
Ridicule - Spouts off insults to the enemy increasing his threat. (Your mother was a SNOWBLOWER!!!)
Padded Armor - [Passive] Gets additional defense from armor
03-10-2015 12:08 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
I think there were mamy interesting skills described for some creature ideas here on the forum so that's quite a mine of ideas.

Also why would each creature have the same number of skills? I think the variety of number of skills not only variety of same skills were something unexpected and fun to explore during creature training as surprising when enemy use something that could decide about the battle result in DK series. Depending on how each creature is more or less "magic" or "intelligent" it could have more or less skills - but of course we shouldn't have them too many either (like from 2-6).

Also we were thinking about classes - so Orc could be either an Archer or Axeman or Warrior class etc. - so that idea wouldn't be implemented? If would be implemented then each creature could have their skill three that is automatically being chosen if player or game automatically choose what creature should choose the specialization (in similar way like in Civilization V you can promote units or send them order - or even faster - player in creature menu could choose how many of Orcs - in percent - set if should there be 20% of Orcish Archers, 30% of Warriors and 50% would be Axemen).
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 09:29 AM by Sebt.)
03-10-2015 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
@Mello: Love your suggestions, they has both fantasy and variety and Big Grin I will definitely implement a couple of them.

@Sebt: Yeah I know, this topic is something we have been going back and forth between since the start of Dwelvers. But as I think they are pretty easy to implement and they add great depth to the creatures I thought it was time Tongue

I agree that all creatures should not have the exact same number of skills. And I would also like the idea where certain skills could be taught between certain creatures.

I am not sure about classes, but I am not ruling them out either by adding these skills. If we come to a point where classes gets implemented then it is just a matter of making some new animations for new skills and distribute the current once between the classes that are being made.
04-10-2015 01:03 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I have added two more skills, one for the Orc and one for the Impanzee.

The Orc got something similar to the "Shield Bash" that you mentioned Mello. He got "Stunning Block" (don't know about the name but you will see why it is called so...), so when he manage to block an attack from an enemy he does it so good that the enemy gets stunned. This makes it more important for the Orc to have a shield with a high block chance.

[Image: StunningBlock.png]

The other skill that the Impanzee got was the "Barrel Roll - Tucks and rolls to nearest enemy stunning it briefly" as you mentioned Mello.

It was hard getting a good screenshot of this, but here we see two impanzees in action:

[Image: BarrelRoll.png]

I have also expanded the creature menu a little so that we now have a skills tab as seen here:

[Image: NewSkillsMenu.png]

What do you think?
06-10-2015 05:56 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
(04-10-2015 01:03 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  I am not sure about classes, but I am not ruling them out either by adding these skills. If we come to a point where classes gets implemented then it is just a matter of making some new animations for new skills and distribute the current once between the classes that are being made.

You know, when I think about classes again each creature of the same type could have the same skills and what weapon i.e. an Orc wears doesn't matter - just the same skill could look a little different being launched from axe or bow - but still with the same effect.

Moreover, there could be some skills that can be activated only if creature wear required to activate that skill weapon/protection - like now Orc and his stunning block skill - without any shield he couldn't use that skill, it's deactivated without shield, right?
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 06:51 PM by Sebt.)
06-10-2015 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Bacuvka Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
maybe its just me, but Hurricane looks overpowered, especially since knights are main invading force, and come in grouped, and would probably spin all at once, this could decimate whole army in closed space pretty fast, or am i missing something?

i am all for giving them abilities, but can we avoid hard cc like stuns? unless you want to see huge battles won by out-stunning your opponents

there better be ultimate ability, after you whip their asses to max level Big Grin

anyway gj as always, waiting to see them in action
06-10-2015 07:28 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I would hope that the top tiered abilities have either a reasonable cd timer or the diminishing returns would be even more significant for these as they should take a good bit of energy to execute which in reality wouldn't be sustainable for too long. I can't wait to see those Impanzees rolling about though! I may even make an animated gif for a signature for it.

So is the Stunning Block a passive since it has a chance to be activated when blocking? Like Sebt said I hope this requires a shield to be equipped just so you have to make sure you have your creatures equipped. Reiterating on his point, it would be interesting to see some of these skills as class/gear specific so for instance any creature who uses a shield could potentially get the Stunning Shield ability, but then I think some abilities should also be creature specific like the Barrel Roll. Having some general skills based on equipment would be an awesome way to build squads for specific tactics even if they were all the same creature type.
06-10-2015 09:13 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE: Creature skills
(06-10-2015 06:50 PM)Sebt Wrote:  You know, when I think about classes again each creature of the same type could have the same skills and what weapon i.e. an Orc wears doesn't matter - just the same skill could look a little different being launched from axe or bow - but still with the same effect.

Moreover, there could be some skills that can be activated only if creature wear required to activate that skill weapon/protection - like now Orc and his stunning block skill - without any shield he couldn't use that skill, it's deactivated without shield, right?

Yeah the skill can't be activated without a shield being worn. And the hurricane skill that the knight uses requires a two handed weapon. So we can definitely create some variation there Tongue In the future we could even have a level up on the skills so that if a certain skill is being used more it can get better.

(06-10-2015 07:28 PM)David Bacuvka Wrote:  maybe its just me, but Hurricane looks overpowered, especially since knights are main invading force, and come in grouped, and would probably spin all at once, this could decimate whole army in closed space pretty fast, or am i missing something?

i am all for giving them abilities, but can we avoid hard cc like stuns? unless you want to see huge battles won by out-stunning your opponents

there better be ultimate ability, after you whip their asses to max level Big Grin

anyway gj as always, waiting to see them in action

The hurricane is pretty powerful, the impanzee barrel roll and the orc's stunning block can prevent it by stunning the knight. But that is only for a brief time. The best skill against it so far is the bull rush because he comes charging in hitting the knights and then gets away from the knights when their hurricane has started.

Stun effects are nerfed so that they don't become to OP. If a knight get stunned for two seconds he also gets a stun immunity for the time he is being stunned times 2 and +1 sec. So stunned one sec makes him unable to be stunned again for 2 * 2 + 1 second = 5 secs which gives him more than enough time to retaliate.

I may also add that all the skills also have a cooldown, I set the knights hurricane on 15 seconds. But I imagine we could experiment a little back and forth as we go along.

(06-10-2015 09:13 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  So is the Stunning Block a passive since it has a chance to be activated when blocking? Like Sebt said I hope this requires a shield to be equipped just so you have to make sure you have your creatures equipped. Reiterating on his point, it would be interesting to see some of these skills as class/gear specific so for instance any creature who uses a shield could potentially get the Stunning Shield ability, but then I think some abilities should also be creature specific like the Barrel Roll. Having some general skills based on equipment would be an awesome way to build squads for specific tactics even if they were all the same creature type.

As it is now I have four active and four passive skills in mind. I have been thinking about sharing the skills between some of the creatures. One idea I have had since the indiegogo campaign is to create a class room, where only some skills can be taught between creatures. For example the Orc teaching block to the Impanzee, but the impanzee needs the Orc to teach him and the impanzee needs to be level 6+ to learn it etc.

The same could go for the imps teleport skill, perhaps the upcoming Wraith could have teleport abilities from level 5 and can teach them to imps that are level 8 and above.

I like the idea of having some general skills based on equipment, but I don't want to get to messy about it. I like saying that an Orc only can have 8 skills, some of the skills will get auto activated when reaching a certain level, some can only be taught and some will only be activated with certain equipments. But that we keep it within the boundaries of 8 skills per creature for now, it will make it easier for the player for now and in the future we could expand on this without having to backtrack.
07-10-2015 09:54 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
I like the classroom idea and mechanism of learning some skills there. I wonder if creature will have to forgot already known skill for learned in classroom, that will replace old one so or it will just be added to the skill pool (if oc course there will be limit of skills creature can have).

I like idea of "skilling" the skills. I'm maybe opposite to levels, but if there would be some max points of mastering the skill that could be gathered by creature in battles till it hit max points for that skill that would be cool. Creature could also unlock on some point a subskill - like getting 50 points (where i.e. 600 is max for the skill) that skill will unlock subskill that permanently increase power of its parent skill by some %, than when gather 210 points - this skill will get another subskill with chance to weaken target's armor for n seconds when parent skill is used, etc. This mechanism could make no need to have many skills on creatures, but less of them that have their subskills.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 09:57 PM by Sebt.)
08-10-2015 09:53 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
I really like the classroom idea too; an Institute of Malevolence if you will. It's kinda like the mechanic in Cultures where if you need one of your citizens for a profession high in the chain, they don't need to learn the lesser ones and grind skill points to get there if you have on citizen who already has that profession learned. They just go to the school and learn the profession.
09-10-2015 01:04 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE: Creature skills
(08-10-2015 09:53 PM)Sebt Wrote:  I like the classroom idea and mechanism of learning some skills there. I wonder if creature will have to forgot already known skill for learned in classroom, that will replace old one so or it will just be added to the skill pool (if oc course there will be limit of skills creature can have).

I don't know yet, I will probably set it so that it is requirement for adding another skill to one of the 8 maximum. Perhaps we could make it so that the creatures can learn more than 4 active and 4 passive, but that they can only learn maximum four of each.

(08-10-2015 09:53 PM)Sebt Wrote:  I like idea of "skilling" the skills. I'm maybe opposite to levels, but if there would be some max points of mastering the skill that could be gathered by creature in battles till it hit max points for that skill that would be cool. Creature could also unlock on some point a subskill - like getting 50 points (where i.e. 600 is max for the skill) that skill will unlock subskill that permanently increase power of its parent skill by some %, than when gather 210 points - this skill will get another subskill with chance to weaken target's armor for n seconds when parent skill is used, etc. This mechanism could make no need to have many skills on creatures, but less of them that have their subskills.

Yeah, I agree, I would also like to see about 3 levels per skill, like novice -> expert -> master, and that each level really expands on the skill, not just adding damage to an lightning bolt, but making chain lightning instead.

(09-10-2015 01:04 AM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  I really like the classroom idea too; an Institute of Malevolence if you will. It's kinda like the mechanic in Cultures where if you need one of your citizens for a profession high in the chain, they don't need to learn the lesser ones and grind skill points to get there if you have on citizen who already has that profession learned. They just go to the school and learn the profession.

Another thing I like about it is that the newly created creatures are really weak, and that the player will train them and teach them as the game goes along. This gives the player a much stronger connection to the creatures.
09-10-2015 05:36 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Sounds pretty simple and fun that 3-degree skill mastering mechanism, easy to show when player check creature skills. I was thinking about some temporary effect added to skill (that's in a form of subskill) with cooldown time not only as something permanently changed/added (so lighting bolt (parent skill) becomes i.e. chain lighting (effect emerged from subskill )once, when parent skill strikes and than goes to recharge state after each strike - cooldown time). Smile

I'm still wondering how much multiplayer matches would take time when player have to get from inexperienced and uneducated creatures to some fine, satisfying lvl of their development. It seems classroom would be a one of the first buildings to build (maybe after training room like library in DK).
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 11:04 PM by Sebt.)
09-10-2015 10:57 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
So I have finished it so that all the creatures now have one skill each. I think that is a good start Smile

Buthering
Employs inherent buthering skills to strike down enemies at close range.

This screenshot do look a little messy, but in game it is pretty cool, the Piggeh goes berserk and starts swinging with both arms pulling the enemy close to him striking him down with several blows. This one is extremely dangerous if the piggeh gets close enough and is not attacked on from other directions.

[Image: Butchering.png]

Frog tongue
This one is for the fishman, it attaches a long sticky tongue on the enemy and pull him back to the caster. A combination with enough fishmans and piggehs at the back and the orcs at the front can be very efficient. The orcs blocks the attacks, the fishman drags the enemies in behind the lines and the piggeh butcher them. Having several fishman on a row is pretty cool as well because they can take turns and drag a knight far far away from his group making him very vulnerable.

[Image: FrogTongue.png]
13-10-2015 07:03 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
That's awesome, did you happen to add them to the options in possession as well? Can't wait to see how this looks in game.
14-10-2015 03:58 AM