Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Brainstorm Game Development - Tutorial 2.0? Bringing suggestions for tutorial modifications
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

Game Development - Tutorial 2.0? Bringing suggestions for tutorial modifications
So, because there was a discussion about revamping actual tutorial I made this topic... Actually something weird happened and the whole discussion got deleted when I was trying to move them to the new thread Xaos made (yes, I messed up, sorry Blush ), but here's what I saved from it. Feel free to discuss changes that could be done to actual Tutorial. Here's how it's started:

Rasmus Wrote:If anyone would like to help me out with a tutorial that would be great Big Grin But not to advanced or detailed though, because the details is something that probably will change in the game sooner rather than later. For the details I would like the player to seek advice from the help menu in the game, this one is easy to edit with the new features added or changed.

Some of the super basics are already in the tutorial I think, like moving and rotating cameras, digging, building.
What is missing is:
- How to get barbecued fish, and mice.
- Setting up mouse traps.
- Attracting creatures.
- Training
- Prison
- Catacombs
- Hydraulics (I have been thinking about making this one easier to manage somehow).

There are probably more... But I am thinking about if we want a full tutorial or if we want it with only the basics for now and when the game reaches beta we could perhaps expand on it. I totally agree that it needs to be updated, the question for me is just how much?

Mello Tonin Wrote:One thing you see in tutorials in most games is a fairly restricted area to work in. I don't know how possible that would be to do as the game is now, but that could make controlling the flow from one step in the tutorial to the next a lot easier, and keep people from getting lost. It may even be useful to have separate tutorials on specific areas of making your dungeon. One might be all about basic building and food manufacturing. Another might be basic combat: crafting gear, training creatures, Rally, and what happens when creatures are captured. Then you would have a separate one that covers advanced stuff like squads, and hydraulics. Of course that would mean that the latter 2 were in a dungeon setting that is already built up to those needs so the player wouldn't have to take the time to get a base established before moving on to the purpose of the particular tutorial.

I'll start outlining a new walk through hopefully this week, but next week will be more likely. I have a big presentation mid week and 2 customer location moves to get done this week so time will be limited. With the holidays here coming up things will really start to slow down so I'll have more time.

Xaos Wrote:Another thing that would be REALLY helpful is if every part of the UI interface had a pop-up tool tip to explain what it is. (buttons/icons and what-not). There should be at least a static picture in the tutorial of the UI with arrows/labels pointing to everything. Hardest part for me when I was starting was figuring out what/where the buttons were and what they were for. I still have no idea what the green water resource is...

gamefreak701 Wrote:
Xaos Wrote:Another thing that would be REALLY helpful is if every part of the UI interface had a pop-up tool tip to explain what it is. (buttons/icons and what-not). There should be at least a static picture in the tutorial of the UI with arrows/labels pointing to everything. Hardest part for me when I was starting was figuring out what/where the buttons were and what they were for. I still have no idea what the green water resource is...

This is the biggest problem I have as a new player. I keep pointing my mouse over icons across the top expecting a tool tip to open up and present a name of the item. Still trying to figure out what everything does.

Any more ideas welcomed! Big Grin
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 01:35 PM by Sebt.)
16-11-2015 07:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simrobert2001 Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
Is there a special premade map specifically made for the tutorial? Oh, and we'll need some info on the surface as well.
17-11-2015 12:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xaos Offline
Digger of the depths

RE: I & S - Tutorial 2.0? Bringing suggestions for (another) tutorial modifications
I was thinking about this the other day and I realized that the path other games take is generally a good one.

Most games of this sort generally have a story mode of some sort. It acts as both theming for immersion, as well as introducing game features (i.e. tutorial) at an easy to learn pace.

You could have a set of progressive scenarios where each new one introduces a specific game feature.

Example:
Scenario 1 introduces how to navigate, dig, room: bedroom, get basic production up and running (farm, bar, cookery, well), new creature: Imp, New Creature: Piggeh, resource stone, resource antroot, resource wood, resource coal, resource beer, resource flower, resource bread, resource (well) water

Scenario 2 introduces crafting, equipping, new creature: Orc, first battle with Trogs, Cave ins, resource gold, resource ore

Scenario 3 introduces storage room, trading room, training room, prison, portal, new creature: Rogue, New Creature: Knight

Etc.

So, in summary, create a single player campaign that acts as a gradual tutorial and immerses player in the game world.
23-11-2015 04:42 PM
simrobert2001 Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
I would also suggest that the icons for the minions are covered as well.
24-11-2015 08:58 PM