Help Register

Feedback/Modification Game Development - To-do-list prototype v1.0
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Game Development - To-do-list prototype v1.0
To-do list

New creatures
  • New human creature that can dig. Rogue gets moved to be a player creature.
  • Introducing new human foot solider like creature.
  • Introducing new human ranged attacking creature.
  • Introducing a new creature connected to the Guard room.
  • Introducing a new creature connected to the prison room.
  • Introducing a new creature connected to the class room.
  • Introducing a new creature connected to the arena.

New Buildings / Rooms
  • Library room
  • Trading outposts
  • Guard room
  • Class room
  • Arena
  • Surface castle

New levels
  • Bed and breakfast (Bedroom, Farm room, Cookery room, Bar).
  • First encounter (Mousetraps, Bridges and Fishing).
  • Training (Training room and skills)
  • Spells and storage (Library and Storage room)
  • Crafting and the Cyclotaur maze (Metal works room)
  • Traps / Hydraulics, incoming enemies (Hydraulics...)
  • Trading and Squads (Trading room and focus on squads)
  • Guarding and entering the surface world (Guarding room, Portals)
  • Ghosts (Catacombs room)
  • Prison (Prison room)
  • Learning new skills (Classroom)
  • Arena (Reaching new heights)
  • Cleaning the surface world (Surface castle)

New items / weapons
  • Bow
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment
  • Unknown equipment

New spells
  • Lightning bolt
  • Heal
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell
  • Unknown spell

New traps
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap
  • Unknown trap

Side notes
  • Game story will not be added until the campaigns are almost at an end.
  • Voice acting for the dark mother will not be decided until the campaigns are almost finished and a game story is made.

In chronological order (388 days generously counted)
  • (1 week) Make buildings mod able including minerals and fluids
  • (3 weeks) Introducing level editor and creating first campaign
    Bed and breakfast (Bedroom, Farm room, Cookery room, Bar)
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    First encounter (Mousetraps, Bridges and Fishing)
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Training room and skills
  • (1 week) Introducing library room with buildings inside.
  • (1 week) Introducing spells lightning bolt and heal with new spell physics.
  • (2 weeks) Introducing new creature connected to the library room.
  • (1 week) Introducing weapon bow with ranged weapon game mechanics.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Crafting and the Cyclotaur maze (Metal works room)
  • (1 week) Improving traps, making them easier to understand and work with.
  • (1 week) Improving game mechanics - Humans coming from a location on the surface and descend into the dungeon.
  • (2 weeks) Introducing new human creature that can dig. Rogue gets moved to be a player creature.
  • (2 weeks) Introducing new human foot solider like creature.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (2 days) New equipment.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Traps / Hydraulics, incoming enemies (Hydraulics...)
  • (2 weeks) Improving squad system.
  • (2 weeks) Introducing trading outposts with new game mechanics.
  • (3 days) Connecting rogues to trading rooms (give them hats and animations).
  • (2 weeks) Introducing new human ranged attacking creature.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Trading and Squads (Trading room and focus on squads)
  • (2 weeks) Introducing a new creature connected to the Guard room.
  • (2 weeks) Introducing guard room with buildings inside with game mechanics.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Guarding and entering the surface world (Guarding room, Portals)
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Ghosts (Catacombs room)
  • (2 weeks) New creature connected to the prison room.
  • (1 week) New torture building inside the prison room.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Prison room
  • (2 weeks) Introducing classroom with buildings inside.
  • (2 week) Introducing a new creature connected to the class room.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Learning new skills (Classroom)
  • (2 weeks) Introducing arena with buildings inside.
  • (2 week) Introducing a new creature connected to the arena.
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Arena (Reaching new heights)
  • (3 weeks) Introducing surface castle
  • (2 days) New spell.
  • (3 days) New trap.
  • (1 week) Next campaign
    Raiding surface castle

Still needs to be decided
  • Need helmets, pants and boots. Only use the body armor?
  • Making hydraulics easier to use?
  • Removing current trading and introducing trading outposts?
  • How many skills per creature?
  • How many spells?
  • How many items?
  • How many traps?

This only a prototype of the to do list that shows that it is possible to get the game finished within a year. Right now I am working on moving all the building data from being hard coded into xml files and thereby make the coding a lot more efficient for me.
This todo list will not be fully implemented until the end of the year, so we still have a month to decide how to structure it and how it should be presented on the website / forum etc.
I don't want any specifics, I want us to decide some of the creatures, weapons / items and room layouts etc as we are getting closer to getting started on each "object".

So what do you think? I will make side topics about the questions such as if hydraulics should be easier to use later this week.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 03:09 PM by Rasmus.)
30-11-2015 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xaos Offline
Digger of the depths

RE: To-do-list prototype v1.0
So sorry, but I have to derail this for a sec...

Quote:•Introducing a new creature connected to the prison room.

I just suddenly pictured a Piggeh in a poorly fitting guard uniform and dark sunglasses...

TongueTongueTongue
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 08:20 PM by Xaos.)
30-11-2015 08:20 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Oh, wow, these plans could really change fast. You'll need to promise everyone that nothing will change in your schedule, non unexpected event could change the way you develop the game. Will you be able to promise that when many things could still change, be removed, replaced or added?

Hmm. I think how many spells, traps etc. will it be in the game is hmm... very difficult to tell right now - I mean we need to know everything about game mechanics. Let's think about i.e. a new trap, well... but why we need this trap in the first place? What is so dangerous we would need to set this trap against at?

I think we'll get the answer when we finally know how many types of threats Dwelvers will offer to player - types of damages, types of armor, strengthens and weaknesses, types of personality that could react to our new trap - knowing that how many of threats we can experience in Dwelvers it will be much easier to tell what threats we missed that should be repelled somehow.

I.e. there are some powerful range skills that are very destructive - what if there would be a trap that could consume such powers and use against caster or even more enemies in range? Should it friendly-fire our creatures too or not? Etc. Knowing ALL mechanics first it will be super easy for community to make ideas perfectly matched for their needs - if game doesn't have that than people makes mods right? Well, let's make that possible of course, but better not let that mod be much better than original content IMO because game image become a little beaten up (like Fallout 4 mod that enable player to see what your character will actually say after choosing certain answer during conversation - normally games only shows short possible answers that can really sounds different and you can react to this like - wait, what? I honestly didn't want to say that like this, OMG! <consternation>).

I just think it's always easier to make a solution for a problem than to make something from nowhere just to add more content - it need to be perfectly balanced with everything other. Wink

Example? As always my favorite - Pokémon games - they've set every types of elements and moves than they made their counterparts, defensive moves against attacking moves or buffs and debuffs. Making specific creatures that has these stats and that moves was than so simple now they made them 721! And it's still quite balanced.

So what I suggest is to make lists of these all mechanics, put on the whiteboard and than make everything in some sort of rock-paper-scizor game as well as what we can produce, how and from what and than assign specific types of creatures to run them - but not give one concept for such creature but few and let our community decide which can be the best! Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 10:08 PM by Sebt.)
30-11-2015 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(30-11-2015 09:47 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Oh, wow, these plans could really change fast. You'll need to promise everyone that nothing will change in your schedule, non unexpected event could change the way you develop the game. Will you be able to promise that when many things could still change, be removed, replaced or added?

Very true, but I think the rooms are somewhat basic what is needed and have not changed that much since the development of the game started.

(30-11-2015 09:47 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Hmm. I think how many spells, traps etc. will it be in the game is hmm... very difficult to tell right now - I mean we need to know everything about game mechanics. Let's think about i.e. a new trap, well... but why we need this trap in the first place? What is so dangerous we would need to set this trap against at?

I imagine that we could figure out what traps are needed as the game progresses, I just like to say that once every month we could try to add another trap, the same goes for items and spells.

(30-11-2015 09:47 PM)Sebt Wrote:  I think we'll get the answer when we finally know how many types of threats Dwelvers will offer to player - types of damages, types of armor, strengthens and weaknesses, types of personality that could react to our new trap - knowing that how many of threats we can experience in Dwelvers it will be much easier to tell what threats we missed that should be repelled somehow.

Exactly, the traps will not be introduced until the third / forth campaign or something like that, so hopefully we have some idea of what could be needed by then.

(30-11-2015 09:47 PM)Sebt Wrote:  So what I suggest is to make lists of these all mechanics, put on the whiteboard and than make everything in some sort of rock-paper-scizor game as well as what we can produce, how and from what and than assign specific types of creatures to run them - but not give one concept for such creature but few and let our community decide which can be the best! Smile

The general idea is that we come up with the concepts as we go along. I would say that the humans needs arches, and that the player needs creatures connected to each room. But when making them in a distant future we could brainstorm a couple of weeks ahead. The main purpose of this list is the time it takes to make each "object" and how many of these "objects" should be made. I have made the list pretty generous in time so hopefully there will be some time over for sidetracking if necessary.
01-12-2015 09:02 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
Yea, it seems everything in Dwelvers is coming from Rooms conceptions if it comes to economy. Based on needs of this room you can create for the game everything - resources that this room will use, set of skills/appearance/behavior/etc. of creatures that could work in this room, types of items creatures will use for battle or further production line.

What Rooms are not determining, I think, is the same battle. Actually the battlefield is deciding what your rooms besides satisfying needs should craft to increase firepower or defense of the your domain... but of course we need to examine threats to know how much firepower or defense we need to successfully destroy or repel any kind of attacks - so like you said humans have range units - archers - so player fighting against them need to have different possibilities of taking them down to the ground - certain traps, types of creatures that have advantages over them because their skills can significantly weaken or harm them, etc.

That's why I was suggesting to make all already implemented and planned to the game mechanics so it will be easier to brainstorm some ideas. Also that list can be build as a tree, serving as some guide, toolkit to make idea from starting resources/needs to end use/final result.

I think many ideas come up during further alpha testing and so balancing everything giving many possibilities of solving the same challenge with different methods.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
01-12-2015 11:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

I was thinking the same, the rooms are the key, we expand the game from those, but I would also say that the campaigns decides the rooms. As you said, the rooms decides the productivity of the dungeon, so we need something that is a key element for the firepower.

Sebt Wrote:So what I suggest is to make lists of these all mechanics, put on the whiteboard and than make everything in some sort of rock-paper-scizor game as well as what we can produce, how and from what and than assign specific types of creatures to run them - but not give one concept for such creature but few and let our community decide which can be the best!

This I like, we have some times before this being implemented because right now I am just trying to get the level editor to work and implement a campaign. Then we have spell mechanics that should work as well. I would say in about 1 and a half month we should have a somewhat balanced system for what creatures should be needed. I like to think that each creature / trap etc. being made the enemy is getting something in return that can prevent the defense/attack.

Perhaps making a list with all the player creatures and buildings that provides firepower, then make one for the humans and then make something balanced out of it. The traps could work in the both directions, the humans could use them as well IMO.
03-12-2015 06:23 PM