Pass:     
Help Register

Brainstorm Environmental Mechanic - Change the fog of war game mechanics
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Environmental Mechanic - Change the fog of war game mechanics
Mello first saw this as a bug:
(15-10-2015 06:45 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  So yeah, I took much longer to get around to this than I wanted to. Here is my save game for this. Below is a point of reference:

[Image: 23EeU.jpg]

And this is what I was trying to describe. Essentially you see that the fog will stay on the wall behind where you are digging until the tiles you're digging drop to a certain point then it clears.

[Image: 23EeV.jpg]

I explained it to be intended:
(16-03-2016 03:47 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  Actually this is intended, if the imps were farther back they would be able to see above the edge. This gif should explain how it is working now.

[Image: FOW_1.gif]

But perhaps this is not the best system. Maybe we should make it so that when the FOW "pathfinds" it don't care about heights at all as long as it isn't at the highest attitude? What do you think?

Mello came with a suggestion that the FOW game mechanics should change:
(17-03-2016 04:37 AM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  I see what you mean with the animation there. So it seems this is by design instead of a bug. It just seems that if I'm removing a wall that I can already see vertically, then I would expect to see the wall behind it without it being obscured in any way.

The big problem here is that the FOW isn't in 3D, a more realistic approach would perhaps be to have it in 3D so that the creatures don't reveal the top of the wall.

What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2016 11:35 AM by Sebt.)
17-03-2016 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
That may be a good solution. Big Grin

Maybe also making FoW in 3D would fix somehow the problem of seeing lower levels when you mark yet uncovered tiles? Because that was the reason to disallow player in Dwelvers to select limited amount of uncovered tiles to dig out instead like in Dungeon Keeper to select as many uncovered tiles as you want to.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2016 11:40 AM by Sebt.)
18-03-2016 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply