Pass:     
Help Register

Dwelvers Journal 2016.03.23 - First Look at the New UI
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2016.03.23 - First Look at the New UI
2016.03.23 - First Look at the New UI

Dwelvers Alpha v0.10 is available for download at the Dwelvers Website and on Steam.

This week I've been working real hard on the new UI, unfortunately I haven't been able to finish it in time, so this week there will be no new version of Dwelvers. Instead I made a YouTube video explaining what I've done so far this week.

Please check it out and give me your opinion of what you think Smile

Get involved!

Buy it or try out the demo on Steam:
[Image: BuyOnSteam.png]

Buy it from the Dwelvers website:
[Image: BuyOnWebsite2.png]

Download the demo:
[Image: download.png]

Follow us!
[Image: Steam.png] [Image: IndieDB.png] [Image: Facebook.png] [Image: Reddit.png] [Image: YouTube.png] [Image: Twitter.png]

(This post was last modified: 16-04-2016 03:50 PM by Sebt.)
23-03-2016 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE:
First.... I'm in shock. :O Had to give you +2 for this.
Literally, I was surprised that you've made a video recording! Big Grin
That was an idea to make one each bigger update and it looks really nice. Progress you've done, the differences are pretty recognizable. Moreover you show much things in the making or that you're going to change and show what is your vision of this changex which could result in getting nice feedback from players.
Are you going to make more videos like this later? Tongue

Now to my thoughts about changes:
The circle menu in this new form could actually even make bottom bar menu obsolete as new players playing tutorial could see more and more circle options in circle menu unlocked while playing more missions or do more things in tutorial. Moreover if you woul try to make Dwelvers for consoles or just much more pad-friendly that "transition" would help much in choosing option with pad.

I like the idea lf selecting creatures and the highlight on them when you hover mouse over them - In DK 2, the basic mechanism of choosing object to interact with rely on this highlighting mechanism. I also liked that just by pressing shift the mouse cursor changed into possession spell, maybe that could also be added.

Oh and BTW - do you know what also can make anything look smaller without changing its size? Decreasing BORDERS size to minimum or getting rid of them completely! Big Grin I'd got rid of plenty of them when making this forum theme and it looks much lighter... and borders... they just look really old-fashioned, like who is making table borders bigger than 1px? It looks strangely bulky. Confused
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 06:29 AM by Sebt.)
23-03-2016 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE:
Tongue Borders, now that's a subject I haven't seen in a while...

Like the new radials and mods. It does look like it will make things a bit easier for new players especially when you get the tool tips in there. I had the same thought Sebt when I saw it that the bar icons might could go away, but at the same time if you didn't know the hotkey, it would be helpful to have that elsewhere.

Considering changin the arrows on constructions, I was thinkin that it would look funny if you had an arrow pointing inward so I was thinking of something like this instead to show where the worker standing - loading/unloading positions were:

[Image: 29uHc.jpg]

Also on the options page you had mentioned something like a check box to toggle territorial lines which I think is a better idea than just removing them all together. Was thinkin it would be nice to have it also have an option to save those as the default game settings instead of having to do that each time you start a game.

[Image: 29uHd.jpg]

Since we're talkin UI here, wanna add one more suggestion. The Item Bars both have enough room it looks to have 1 additional Item icon each so would that be something you might consider, as well as having the order remain static once you set it? It's a bit time consuming to reset the Items on the bar to the same location I like to track them on each game.
24-03-2016 03:26 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: First Look at the New UI
(24-03-2016 03:26 AM)Mello Tonin Wrote:  I had the same thought Sebt when I saw it that the bar icons might could go away, but at the same time if you didn't know the hotkey, it would be helpful to have that elsewhere.

Good point. What if hotkey markings would be installed in radial menu? They could appear near/on icons in radial menu when you press i.e. "H" key, to turn hotkeys on or off.
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 06:39 AM by Sebt.)
24-03-2016 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
@Sebt:
I've been making video recordings each week now, but they were more like streams with friends and not so explanatory, so perhaps this one was better? About the bottom menu, yeah, the more I can get rid of the better, if the radial menu is faster to using a specific feature then that feature can be removed from the bottom menu. But I don't think I can get rid of it all together.

And yes, the borders... I agree, but we need some good concept art first. I think my biggest problems with the UI has been that I haven't had any specific guideline, so now I'm just forcing forward with the style I have until a better style comes along that could work with the whole UI.

@Mello:
Really good idea with the circle, I think that looks better and is better explained than the arrow to be honest. I will get back to the items menu in the future, I like it, but I don't think many players even knows that items can be set as quick items. Perhaps there is where Sebts tooltips come into play Wink I have added the static item idea to my todo list.

One thing I forgot to point out in the video was that individual objects now can be selected in the game, like wall manacles or chairs etc. This will make the mouse radial UI more precise when rightclicking objects like that.

And I was thinking about showing of my UI progress in this topic as I go along. Today I've been working on roads, or a system that can show the blueprint of the objects being built before the player chooses to build them.

In this gif you can see how the road is shown as the player selects where to build it. It is not finished but by tomorrow I hope to have the roads finished at least and can start on building buildings with the new system Smile

[Image: RoadBuilding.gif]
24-03-2016 08:24 PM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: First Look at the New UI
(24-03-2016 08:24 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  @Sebt:
I've been making video recordings each week now, but they were more like streams with friends and not so explanatory, so perhaps this one was better? About the bottom menu, yeah, the more I can get rid of the better, if the radial menu is faster to using a specific feature then that feature can be removed from the bottom menu. But I don't think I can get rid of it all together.

This one is exactly what I suggested to make each time you make new update. Smile You show exactly what was changed and what are your the plans for further implementations of certain feature - short and simple and live - you show how does it work in action. Not everyone have that much time to watch entire over 1 hour long video trying to find specific information about something in the game, so yes - this one was IMHO definitely better. Cool

(24-03-2016 08:24 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  And yes, the borders... I agree, but we need some good concept art first. I think my biggest problems with the UI has been that I haven't had any specific guideline, so now I'm just forcing forward with the style I have until a better style comes along that could work with the whole UI.

Sure. I assume the UI will be constantly changing during development time in different ways to make it clear and transparent, fully functional, quick and comfortable to use - especially matters in hot situations. Reducing border sizes in windows, icons and other interface elements helps your eyes to focus on certain things you want to read, not partially on additional elements like borders, you're getting clear vision on desired element (of course without borders you need to balance colors of the content and text, but that's actually what you're doing right, so I don't see this as an issue for you). If you find more time I encourage to put theory into the test. Smile

(24-03-2016 08:24 PM)Rasmus Wrote:  One thing I forgot to point out in the video was that individual objects now can be selected in the game, like wall manacles or chairs etc. This will make the mouse radial UI more precise when rightclicking objects like that.

Hmm, something came up to my mind during reading this. If individual objects now can be selected in the game, how could you distinguish that you've selected desired element not other selectable object that happened to be close to selected object?
Will selected object be highlighted until you deselect it - or - the circle menu of selected object will show - i.e. by icon of selected object in the middle of circle menu - that you selected that type of object, not other that is placed close/next to the selected one? Smile
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 12:28 AM by Sebt.)
25-03-2016 12:23 AM