Localization Translation
(11-02-2018, 07:23 PM)Rasmus Wrote: The DwelversLanguageEditor.exe should be run in place, and Polish should added in the Localizations.xml and be added into the "Localizations" folder in the git repo. Then run DwelversLanguageEditor.exe. The reason for this is that I want to avoid recomending people to translate the game directly from the Dwelvers game directory as it can be overwritten with updates.

I did everything like you said, but I'm asking why DwelversLanguageEditor.exe is trying to seek Polish.xml in Media/Localization/Localization/Polish instead of Media/Localization/Polish, even if I put Polish.xml to Media/Localization/Polish Huh

There are also few thing I would like to discuss of it comes to .xml with text:

1. "%s1" was missing in line 522 at:
Code:
value = "Req. Level: "
si I changed it to:
Code:
value = "Req. Level: %s1"
In game it should show level creature needed to get that skill, now it shows it correctly.

2. For some reason you can see "%s1" marks in game if it comes to creature's stats in creature tooltips. They are: Damage per second, Health and Resistance. Damage and Defence is OK.
The same goes for weapons where attacks has visible "%s1" as well as defence for armour items.

3. It seems that during game launch special letters are not being recognized (missing UTF-8 decoding at this stage?), here's how does it look when I replace "Loading Drawables..." with translated phrase - it should be "Wczytywanie narzędzi" there:

[Image: 2wbyz4z.jpg]

4. I found an interesting room called "Grate Storage" - have you considered to add into the game something like Room Storage / Reception before? Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Well, my Russian translation is going steady (sadly not as fast as I wanted). I think I'll finish its beta version by Monday (certainly hope so). Then I had this idea of asking some of my friends and acquaintances to proofread it (on the basis of a demo version at least) - and, in doing so, promote the game a little as well  Wink
@Sebt: I will take a look at the tool, I think it needs to be made a little bit better Smile Awesome bugs you found! I'm happy to see that polish characters works inside the game at least Smile
@Minamikaze: Thank you so much Smile It's no real hurry but if you are finished next week we can probably get it into the next release!

As I thank you for your help you will all of course get mentioned in the credits and get a Steam key. So Minamikaze, ask your friends to sign up here at the forum and I will help them get a full version instead of the demo as a thank for their help as well.
Yea Georgia do the job, however it's less readable than Tahoma. Tongue
Oh and wanna hear more? Big Grin

5. I noticed there are some unused lines of text or at least they are not visible in the game (like description for low production of certain thing and how to make it work normal again);

6. I was confused between steel and iron, sometimes it's iron smelter, sometimes it's iron related, so I made that there's only iron as elemental in game and the rest is a product of steel (iron + coal) - so it's steel smelter (not iron), steel armour etc.;

7. Also I changed Metalworks Room to... a Crafting Room? It's because there are other that metal-related things being made (craft) there.

8. There are also unchanged description of some things that were modified during game development. I encourage to check it out.

9. Where can we find translation for:
a) game launcher;
b) closing application window;
c) "Gametime" and "mapseed" in top-right side of menu during play;
d) Early Access warning etc.?

10. Are texts in Media/Messages still used? It doesn't seem so.

11. Found another place where there's no special marks decoding applied -look at the blue text, special marks are replace by question marks:

[Image: 208y4gp.jpg]

12. I found that some jobs are not in localization file like Smelting, Storing items.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(15-02-2018, 09:13 PM)Rasmus Wrote: @Minamikaze: Thank you so much Smile It's no real hurry but if you are finished next week we can probably get it into the next release!
It seems I shouldn't have said about my plans beforehand. Now my long-term customers have surfaced and I've got quite snowed under indeed. So my plans are carried over. This time I won't state any deadlines just as a precaution.

Though I already have some questions about game texts (not counting the very valid points Sebt has made).
1) The most pressing one is the antroot. Is there any specific etymology about this name or was it selected just on a whim? Cause direct translation would be monstrous in size and I don't want to do it. And if there'll be no other ants or roots in the game, I'd like to change it to something shorter in the translation.
2) There is a slight problem with trading interface (I bet you're planning on changing it anyways), namely the Buy if less than %s1, Sell if more than %s1 etc. Even in English these strings are too long and won't stay in their dedicated bounds, but in Russian they are even bigger. I managed to contract them losing some clarity in the process though. So I think we'll return to this matter in the future.
3) There is also a problem with the requirement of each string of translation being unique and different from the original one. The most obvious point of this is the "keys" namespace. Here's an example of a typical Russian keyboard for you: https://www.ixbt.com/peripheral/genius/s...0/03-b.jpg (I don't feel like posting an image here as this forum does... strange things to them and I certainly don't like this big image to take all my post). As you may see, Russian and English letters are both used here and no functional keys are ever translated. As the result, it is a common practice to use English names for all the keyboard keys except unnamed Spacebar of course. And as Control keys are both named Ctrl, Right and Left parts thereof are subject to translation as well. Everything else was only translated in the Soviet times (for the numerous ZX Spectrum clones). Now only very few of our developers are still trying to translate letter keys with nobody ever touching the rest of them at all. Most of our people won't even know what Ctrl, Alt or Esc means: they just memorize the symbols.

(14-02-2018, 03:52 PM)Rasmus Wrote: So Minamikaze, ask your friends to sign up here at the forum and I will help them get a full version instead of the demo as a thank for their help as well.

We'll see about that but I don't think it would be necessary. You see, I intend to only promote the game on a website we frequent, mentioning I will be the one translating it to Russian. If some of my friends or other visitors would like to download and proofread it, it would be on a completely voluntary basis. Still, thank you for your offer. Maybe I'll think of a way to incorporate some form of event with prizes, but first I need to finish the translation itself Smile
I just finished the Polish localization, awaiting for your response on GitHub Rasmus.

(Yesterday, 02:43 PM)Minamikaze Wrote: 1) The most pressing one is the antroot.

When I was translating antroot to Polish I just make "oo" to sound like spoken in my language, so with "u". I just left antrut, like it was it's generic name, a "macaronization" of this word into my language. I would just think that antroot is a mixture of ant and root (like Impanzee is a mix of an imp and a chimpanzee), but that's because I don't remember where the name of antroot came from. The only thing we know is that at some time it replaced wheat.

(Yesterday, 02:43 PM)Minamikaze Wrote: 2) There is a slight problem with trading interface (I bet you're planning on changing it anyways), namely the Buy if less than %s1, Sell if more than %s1 etc.

True, I listed this (and found a solution that work only for English localization) and even more of cases like this in this thread.
@Sebt: Thank you for finding those bugs! I will go through this whole topic before releasing the next version with Polish Smile

(Yesterday, 02:43 PM)Minamikaze Wrote: 1) The most pressing one is the antroot.

I don't remember who said it but I think the name came up when he or she said that it looked like a anthill, then we just replaced hill with root. If it is easier for you try finding a name for it that describes its appearance and then add "root" on the end. Like "Twistroot" or "Screwroot". Will this help?
(Today, 08:38 AM)Rasmus Wrote: I don't remember who said it but I think the name came up when he or she said that it looked like a anthill, then we just replaced hill with root. If it is easier for you try finding a name for it that describes its appearance and then add "root" on the end. Like "Twistroot" or "Screwroot". Will this help?

Yep, I planned to work around the "twisted" part in the description in the first place, so it's cool.