My New Idea Hydraulic Idea - Moving Walls
Moving Walls

Info
.. whereas "moving" is both a noun and a verb!

If anyone has ever played Rise of the Triad on the PC way back in the 1993-1996 region of space/time, you'll remember that the game had quite a few moving wall mechanics. You'd step on a pressure plate, and suddenly the room you're in would look quite different.

Appearance
It seems that Dwelvers is able to do that as well, to a degree! Now, it's going to depend on just how strong these mechanical walls are, but it will be very interesting to entirely hide the entrance of your dungeon behind some elaborate puzzle-room that the enemies, whomever they are, just can't seem to understand.

Stats
Highlight: Blocking enemy's way.
Function: Walls that moves after pressure pad connecting to it is being stepped on. So the question is, just how far are these mechanical walls currently able to move? Do they follow the path of the hydraulics on the ground, no matter where they may go? Or will there be some "stopping point" that a repeated trigger of the hydraulics can reverse its path?

What else can be done with these mechanical walls, anyway? I feel like we're sitting on a gold mine, but not utilizing them as effectively as they could be. They're 75% there, I think.
"Go, go, Potato!" ~Mello Tonin
I've played around with the moving walls quite a bit in the latest demo and what I can tell is they move back and forth between 2 tiles. You can connect as many pressure plates to them as you want so can create some pretty elaborate puzzles and traps with them even as they are. I agree that adding even more elaborate movable walls into a future version could make for some spectacular tricks, puzzles and traps.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Aye. I figure that the left and right mouse buttons can be used to great effect with them. One button could toggle between which way they rotate, and the other mouse button can toggle how many squares they will move. The question is, how to make them move in the same direction twice, as compared to another triggering of the hydraulics just moving them back.

Because if it only moves one space, well, that reminds me of the Hydraulic Blocks from Minecraft - They only move one square! So you have to stack them one on top of the other, and they basically move each other, like one of those clickety clackers you find in an office for whatever reason. (All of a sudden I can't find an image of it on Google. Wow. o.o )
At this point the mechanics for the moving walls aren't exactly what I had in mind.. First I wanted to do it so that a wall practically could be moved from one side of the map to the other.. But I did it like this because of the limited time I had when creating this.. So I have been thinking.. What if instead of putting down movable walls, the player will be able to but down a kind of treadmill on the ground, and then a wall on top of it.. Activate this treadmill will move the wall in the its direction, and then the wall can be on top of another treadmill making it move even further, and so on..
that just might work. I'd love to test that idea in a future alpha demo
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Hahaha, oh wow. I'm reminded of this image. Conveyors make any game slightly better.

If anything, there will have to be a way to let the game know whether to have them start off or start on when they're first placed, so that more elaborate traps can be devised.
Yeah, I need to make the pressure not only go forward but also backward.. In that way it would be rather easy to reset something..