My New Idea I & S - Achievement System
• Achievement System •

Info
I think a simple Achievement system, like "Acquire 20 imps in less then 3 min!" or "Get 50 gold pieces stored at once"
The achivements could unlock extra stuff, like extra maps. When completing the "get 50 gold..." you get a map called Golden Dungeon. Simple ALOT of gold blocks.

Stats
Highlight: Achievement hunters!
Function: The purpose is to make the game last longer, and give players a reason to play the game even more!
That is a good idea, we have been thinking about having the imps build statues that can be placed in the dungeon when a achievement is unlocked. And these achievements could boost the dungeon production in one way or another..
Added to Ideas & Game Features list. Also made some changes in the thread name. Wink

Achievements could be a very nice addition for the game. I guess that what You though is something for a single player game and that are not permanent, but able to gain every time playing the map again and again, right?

Hmm... in many games Achievements Systems usually have many different elements that made this system and each AS have different forms - achievements gives the player some bonuses or not, are just listed, categorized or made as a tree. Rewards or just achievements could be reached every time You play the map again and again or permanently attached to player's account - so that could be seen in multiplayer mode.

How do You imagine the Achievement System in Dwelvers so Tricky exactly?

Rasmus said we can have the imps build statues that can be placed in the dungeon when an achievement is unlocked. And these achievements could boost the dungeon production in one way or another - that reminds me statues in Godus (game made by Dungeon Keeper creator) that gives us some bonuses and facilitates. In ANNO games then You can built the Triumphal Arch after beating one of the player and looks awesome!
Would be really great to have something like that in the game, especially that we have and will have much mooaaarr decorations able to set - statues etc. could also raise overall dungeon appearance etc...

...Hmm, You guys gave me an idea how achievements could look and what do when reached. We could distinguish two kinds of Achievements:

The Permament Achievements:
- can be assigned to the player's account (created at the start of the game with possibility to add a new one, delete, edit some information about player etc.) permanently, until won't delete that account.
- are visible in player's Account Information -> Achievements for other players in multiplayer mode.
- are visible in the game(!) as for example: a player reached the achievement somehow connected with Dark Mother, so from the beginning playing the map that player's Dark Mother will have a little changed appearance for better or just different, maybe with additional functions, or Imps can have something added to them like bigger pickaxes etc. Some achievements can be visible very clear - like utterly changed theme (walls, rooms or/and traps could look different - like a theme sets in WFTO). We can add new type of appearance to some creatures (like we have now different Impanzee's appearances now), so the Dark Mother could produce more various creatures. Smile
Some of achievements could have impact on many single things - for example if we imprison about 50 enemies we could set new scary decorations or new doors after getting an achievement... or after torturing 50 enemies we could set new TORTURE MACHINES! - that one could be permanently given to a player and being able to use/set in every next maps/games.

The Repeatable Achievements (so like I guess Tricky meant):
- are only obtainable once per each game, so we don't get them permanently assigned to our accounts.
- are NOT visible in player's Account Information because...
- ...are gained only durnig the map playing and dissapear after conquering the map by any player.
- are visible as some constructions like statues that Rasmus mentioned and that can be really big, gold coloured, shiny etc. or are visible as bonuses in resource menu (like 100+10% to resource gaining by digging etc.) or are visible on creatures appearance as shiny swords, some speed effects etc.

Some of Permament Achievements could be obtained as Repeatable Achievement too right? So we have to really separate one types of achievements from another types of achievements that's why I separate achievements like above, it's up to Developers.

Additionally:
- we could make achievement trees (like skill trees in WoW, but without that - once we took one skill we couldn't take other in the same 'horizontal line') - so one being unlocked give us possibility to unlock two different or...
- ...we could just make it like medals, so as more You have something You get better medal, so bronze->silver->gold->rainbow Big Grin. They could look as another form of leveling the trophy. Each of achievement could look different as other, but could being bronze->silver->gold->rainbow colored by having their level higher or we could add more pickaxes to some kind of digging achievement like one than two than three pickaxes etc.

What do You think?? Smile
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Since achievables have become a staple of practically every game developed these days, it makes sense to see this implemented. When the game goes to Steam, then it can add another layer of competition amongst friends to get the most the fastest. Personally I don't really care too much for achievables as in if the game is good enough, I'm gonna replay it before I take the time to get all the achievements. Having some sort of permanent benefit by unlocking achievements is really the only thing that makes me really want to even bother with them.

As far as repeatable achievements, I think of that along the lines of you can complete a level for instance at bronze, silver, or gold depending on the level of completeness and what achievements you acquired that are set in that level like kill X number of baddies in X number of seconds. This would be cool because the OCD in me wants to make sure all levels are completed 100%, and being able to go back and replay a level to get gold when it is bronze or silver would be a plus especially if they are linked to a permanent achievement. So say for instance I complete a level at silver, and the only way to get gold level completion depends on a bonus from a permanent achievement. That would increase the replay value for sure.
(22-10-2013, 03:45 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: As far as repeatable achievements, I think of that along the lines of you can complete a level for instance at bronze, silver, or gold depending on the level of completeness and what achievements you acquired that are set in that level like kill X number of baddies in X number of seconds. This would be cool because the OCD in me wants to make sure all levels are completed 100%, and being able to go back and replay a level to get gold when it is bronze or silver would be a plus especially if they are linked to a permanent achievement. So say for instance I complete a level at silver, and the only way to get gold level completion depends on a bonus from a permanent achievement. That would increase the replay value for sure.

Freaking good point Mr Melllo, that rewards are awesome too. Some games has stars - something You can get by making something enough faster to get 5 of 5 stars not 2 of 5 which gives You more something, yeey... In DK 1 there were plenty things that sums up to overall result, but were not seen as achievements - that additional things after conquering levels would be really nice especially if by reaching these 5 stars You unlock something snazzy (like in I.G.I. Covert Strike You gain a Secret Agent rank for doing it right!). :F
This could really work fine if achievements would focus mainly on cooperation, team battles etc. So the game won't consist of individual damn loosers, alienates, emo, only greed killing anyone, trolls and every second players with 'dark' at beginning of his/her nick, but leaders, helpful (yea, but of course they help for rewards...eh) people and not afraid coming out of silence zone people open to talk! Wargh! >O
Multiplayer game modes makes today games life the longest (except some very classic amazing games like Dungeon Keeper or HoMM3, but more MMOs has players now anyway..).
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Hmm, I will probably go back to this thread as soon as I start implementing the achievement system.. But I can't stop thinking about one thing. If the temporary achievements boosts the production in the dungeon it will somehow work exactly like a research facility, just that it is gain in another way.. Maybe the research and the temporary achievements system can be merged somehow? Achievements gives big statues and boost certain creatures morals (making them stronger, faster or see better), while the research gives the dungeon a more practical improvement like stronger walls and faster wheat growing and so on.

So in that way the temporary achievements actually is a part of the tactical game-play..
While I personally like the idea of "Achievement Statues" and such, I don't think they should have any other in-game effects like production boosts or such. Achievements should be a bragging rights-only gig in my opinion. Having secondary bonuses kind of takes away from having any kind of researching system in the first place.

And oh my, please not faster growing wheat, it grows insanely fast already. XD
I agree with Sig, achievements should be bragging rights only. It sounds like Rasmus is already thinking research system so there's really no need to get the two confused, although it would be cool to have multiple levels of mission completeness dependent on acquiring a map based achievements like I mentioned before.