New Feature! Room Mechanic - Building site blueprints
As I got tired at not seeing clearly what will come out of a building site I got motivated and inspired with how many other games solved this issue. I added a see through copy of what is going to be built on the building site instead of just having a small image in the centre.

Here's a screen-shot:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/Blueprints.png[/IMG]
Hmmm... While I'll admit I really like being able to see what's building more clearly, that particular style, if you'll forgive me, just seems to stand out as too different from the "feel" of the game. Lots of medieval "flavor" to the game and BAM!, lime-green digital-looking shape.

I can't really offer much of a suggestion otherwise though.... maybe just something like the object immediately appears "built" but is surrounding by construction tape (or whatever flavor of that you can come up with)? I'm not sure.

Just an observation.
I agree with you.. Maybe a more faded colour grayish would do the trick Smile
I don't mind the color of it, really. I mean, its usefulness far outweighs how it looks. In my opinion, it's like not liking the fact that your pacemaker is pink "Dude, nobody will know. It's INSIDE you." "But I'LL know! >:- ( " Haha, wow.

But really, did you have any plans for the actual colors of the blueprint? In your opinion, would it be technologically feasible for the color of the blueprint to turn colors based on how "likely" it is to be constructed soon?

For example, all construction projects start out red. The moment the game realizes we have the materials for it, it turns yellow. But the moment an Imp picks up the materials and is actually on its way to that exact construction project, it turns green.

That means most projects won't be green for very long, because they're actually literally just about to be built, most of the time.

But is this taxing on the engine?
"Go, go, Potato!" ~Mello Tonin
ShadowTiger.. You are a genius Big Grin Yeah! I will definitely change the colour depending on how on how "likely" it is to be constructed Big Grin
One point for you Smile
Nice ShadowTiger! I like that idea too. Maybe to keep it from looking all "digital", you could just make it a faded version of the final construct using the shading scheme Shadow suggested.

Love the redone status window displaying the needed materials Rasmus. It was hard to tell sometimes before what was missing unless you zoomed in.
Thanks, certainly. I really wanted to introduce a level of "certainty" to the player when they're building. So often, in games like this, when someone builds something, they have no idea when, or even whether what they want to build will get built. They have virtually no control over that whatsoever! They even pick up and drop minions right next to the project, only to watch them scurry away to other entirely unrelated projects. The sound of hair being torn out can then be heard across the wayward universe.

And who hasn't been there. Am I right? Yes?

So that's why when I think of some new construction project as being red for too long, I think "this is not a project I should be pursuing at the moment." Because it just won't get done. If you have the materials, a project won't be red for long at all. In fact, it should turn yellow immediately if you have the materials and there is a path to it.

So yellow shouldn't be any particular cause for concern at all. Yellow just means the imps haven't gotten to the materials yet, or haven't gotten to the task yet. Once it turns green, it means it's the very next project being done, and the player no longer has to worry about it at all, not only because of resources, but because of pathing.
"Go, go, Potato!" ~Mello Tonin
(07-11-2013, 09:46 PM)ShadowTiger Wrote: If you have the materials, a project won't be red for long at all. In fact, it should turn yellow immediately if you have the materials and there is a path to it.

This is a good point, and I think that would help you clear troubled contructs that can cause performance issues as well.
Hmm. Yeah I was thinking about that.. It is a little hard for me to predict when they will work on the construction. But I could make the blueprint red when the materials is missing in the storageroom, yellow when the materials ain't missing but the imps haven't started delivering it yet. And another color when delivering and one color when it has the materials.
Well to keep things simple maybe it could just be:

Red = Missing Components / Blocked Path
Yellow = Components Available but not all Delivered
Green = All Components Delivered / Ready to Build

At any time during the process if the path becomes blocked, then it will revert to Red. An icon could be displayed above the contruct like you depicted above showing the required components and or an icon symbolizing a blocked path.

To cut down on the rendering, you could make it so that you would have to scroll over it to get the status icon to pop up, and depending on the materials and blocked status, the icons could be aranged side-by-side (2 statuses), triangular (3 statuses), and anything above that in a circle.
(09-11-2013, 05:33 AM)Mello Tonin Wrote: Well to keep things simple maybe it could just be:

Red = Missing Components / Blocked Path
Yellow = Components Available but not all Delivered
Green = All Components Delivered / Ready to Build

At any time during the process if the path becomes blocked, then it will revert to Red. An icon could be displayed above the contruct like you depicted above showing the required components and or an icon symbolizing a blocked path.

To cut down on the rendering, you could make it so that you would have to scroll over it to get the status icon to pop up, and depending on the materials and blocked status, the icons could be aranged side-by-side (2 statuses), triangular (3 statuses), and anything above that in a circle.

Yea, that sounds great, we have colors on wheat or brewery and other resource makers that indicate their efficiency, we could use the same colors for markers.

In the other hand we could have normal building site, but with 30% of transparency and changed color a little to darker when placed, it could even animate only when being placed or hovered on available place to put - instead of green blueprint.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Hmmm, not sure.. When you say cut down on the rendering, I guess you mean that there will be to many circle icons floating around and that they will take away some of the feeling.. Not that it is demanding for the computer..

I would probably avoid having several status icons floating above one building, because one of them take enough space already.
But having the status only shown when the cursor is over it is a good idea. But I would like to have the warnings as permanent status icons even if the cursor is nowhere near it.
I can think of it like if everything is okey then there is no need to show that it is okey Smile