Nick:  
Pass:     
Register Help View New Posts View Today's Posts

Dwelvers Journal 2013.11.03 - 3Dwelvers & some new visitors
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

2013.11.03 - 3Dwelvers & some new visitors
So, I decided to post this newsletter trying to get all the most recent news that have been posted these last weeks into one post.

Lets start with the biggest news:

The dungeon is full of 3D

[Image: Dungeon3D.png]

As you all can see it is now possible to dig up and down in the dungeon. This feature have opened up a whole new challenge when it comes to designing the dungeon, finding resources and avoiding enemies. I want to point out that it is not possible to dig tunnels, if a block gets dug out, the blocks above it will fall down onto its location. If I were to make it possible to dig tunnels, then I would have to clip the different layers of the dungeon just so that the player would be able to see what is going on underneath a block, and I wanted to avoid that because that would have been to much of a game changer.

Read more

Waterfalls and flooding dungeons

[Image: FloodedDungeon.png]

[Image: Waterfall-1.png]

If a dungeon gets flooded the rooms and items in it won't be destroyed. Maybe it will be time, but not directly. If the water height on a tile is lower than 25% the creatures will still be able to work there, but if the water level is higher than that the collision-detection will get activated. As the water is in a limited amount it isn't that hard to get rid of it. By blocking the path the water flows in and then dig moats around the flooded area will make the water run away, and for the puddles that don't get flushed away the imps can collect with their water buckets.

Read more

Building site blueprints

[Image: Blueprints.png]

As I got tired at not seeing clearly what will come out of a building site I got motivated and inspired with how many other games solved this issue. I added a see through copy of what is going to be built on the building site instead of just having a small image in the centre.

Read more

Impanzee Lair

[Image: HardToReach.png]

You can see that the Impanzees have beds that they use when they are getting tired, and if you are really quiet you can actually hear them snore through the walls. That's how you know when to strike Wink If a Impanzee gets attacked in his sleep he will wake up and do his normal chest pounding animation, and this will wake up Impanzees that are next to his tile, but no more.. So if you have a room full of sleeping Impanzees you can safely attack and kill them of without meeting more than 2 - 3 at a time, and I think that is a good deal in compartment of meeting a whole army at a once..

Read more

The Knight
[Image: Knight.png]

He should be a big creature with a lot of armour, and as a big creature he will be slow moving. His specialty is to draw attacks towards himself; this is done by blocking the path and shout at the enemies so that they get enraged by him. I was also thinking that because he is always walking first into a combat with the others after him, he could carry a flag, just like a standard bearer. When he enters a battle or sees the enemies he would attach the flag to the ground and start attacking with his two handed axe/longsword. As a powerfull melee creature his abilities will be melee related. He will have sweeping attacks as a standard attack which damages the surrounding enemies. He should also have a cleave attack where he lifts his weapon and slam it into the ground with so much power that his enemies will get pushed back. Hmmm, one idea is his first attack, as he has the flag in his hand from the beginning he could use it as a spear on the first enemies he sees. His final attack would be something that he would do when he knows that he is doomed, like rushing into the crowd of enemies and just try to slay as many as possible, this attack last a couple of seconds and during this time he will lose health when being hit, but he will not die. When the attack is over and if his health is at zero he will die, the main purpose is that during the attack all the close by enemies will target him, and he will get the chance to kill of the ranged attackers standing in the back..

Read more

A friendly unfriendly looking creature
[Image: HyenaOrchish.png]

So, it have been time for the Dwarfs to get some companions. The main reason is cost of the Dwarfs, we needed a creature that could be produced in high quantity and low cost right from the start. As the gold that the Dwarfs needs to be produced from is now harder to reach because of the many layers of the level we need a creature that will be purchasable with more common materials. So we have started working on a hyena/orcish like creature that only have a club as a weapon. I can't say that much about him just yet. But this is the concept art that will bring him to life.

Read more
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 11:17 PM by Sebt.)
03-11-2013 03:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: Newsletter - 3 Nov 2013
Whoa, a big update! Smile

The last guy reminds me that guy:
[Image: Cudgel%20Troll.full.jpg]

Nice, I would like to see these guys in action!
03-11-2013 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ameena Offline
Wordweaver
Dwelvers Writers

Cool, the green guy looks a lot like Dru-Tan from DM2, though the spots in his mane are more reminiscent of those of a Gnoll from DnD 4th edition.
I just had a thought - he's holding a club, but does he spawn with it? I wonder if maybe creatures would all spawn unarmed and you'd have some kind of armoury room where they'd go to pick up their equipment of choice - every creature would have certain weapon types they could use. For example, dwarves might be able to use either axes or hammers. Then it'd add a bit more variety when you look at a group of creatures as they wouldn't all be wielding the same weapon...though the damage dealt by that creature would be determined by their type rather than the weapon they're holding (ie all dwarves would deal the same amount of damage regardless of what weapon they're holding...but it would be more damage than if they were unarmed). Obviously this would only be the case for those creatures who use weapons - if you had some kind of giant insect or arachnid or something with big claws and venomous fangs, they wouldn't be able to hold a weapon and wouldn't need to do so anyway Wink.
It would also add an even greater sense of urgency if you're being attacked and don't have much of an army yet - you have to send in the guys who don't wield weapons whilst quickly making other ones and sending them to the armoury ASAP to get equipped so they can join the fight.
Or something Smile.
I am the Wordweaver...
03-11-2013 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

(03-11-2013 02:17 PM)Ameena Wrote:  Cool, the green guy looks a lot like Dru-Tan from DM2, though the spots in his mane are more reminiscent of those of a Gnoll from DnD 4th edition.
I just had a thought - he's holding a club, but does he spawn with it? I wonder if maybe creatures would all spawn unarmed and you'd have some kind of armoury room where they'd go to pick up their equipment of choice - every creature would have certain weapon types they could use. For example, dwarves might be able to use either axes or hammers.

Yea, especially that they are all pucking out from Dark Mother so a live form. None of us was created with axe right? OK, Rasmus was born with keyboard, but that's against the grain. Tongue

But hmmm, Rasmus will have a room - Blacksmith - where You will be able to craft weapons etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 06:38 PM by Sebt.)
03-11-2013 06:36 PM
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

Well, I have thought about this actually.. And one way to solve it is to make the imps throw in a club as well when making the "Gnoll" Wink The blacksmith will make axe, shield, swords, clubs and so on. But I'm thinking about having the blacksmith just make a "weapon" that will become a specific weapon once the creatures equip it. But then again, I have been getting some pushes that the creatures could lose/break their weapon while fighting, and be able to pick up the closest weapon laying on the ground and use that one. Even if it is spear and the creature prefer clubs or something else. This would make the idea that all creatures should be created naked, and that they would have to go to the blacksmith to dress themselves..
03-11-2013 08:04 PM
Regit Offline
Dungeon Lord

Please moooooareeeee info xD
06-11-2013 12:19 AM
Ameena Offline
Wordweaver
Dwelvers Writers

That sounds cool. The Blacksmith/Armourer/Pointy-Stick-Maker could produce all that kind of equipment. Maybe you could have other rooms to buff those creatures who don't need to pick up a weapon. For example, some kind of Lab or Apothecary room where various weird chemicals are brewed up, which can be used to enhance the toxicity of any venomous mobs. For example, say you have a giant venomous spider monster, it can go and have some kind of strong venom stuff applied to its fangs which basically increases its damage (in the same way a dwarf who picks up an axe will be doing more damage because, you know, he's now wielding an axe Wink). his can wear off after a certain number of "uses" (ie as the spider-monster bites more and more enemies), to keep it in line with weapons degrading with use.
You could also have some kind of magical-buffing place, like maybe something which imbues magic-wielding creatures (spellcasters, or those more obviously formed of elemental substances like magma golems or whatever you end up including) with stronger magic, or maybe just a particular element or something. Presumably magic would often be more effective than physical weapons (except against creatures with specific magic resistance), so magic-wielding creatures and the room which gives them buffs would probably be very expensive to create.
This way you'd have the potential to buff all your creatures' damage without them all going to the same kind of room...unless of course, the blacksmith isn't just a blacksmith but can be improved to have the other stuff too (potions/chemicals and magical effects) rather than having them as separate rooms. In which case I suppose it wouldn't be a blacksmith but something else. I suppose the roon itself wouldn't be called a blacksmith anyway, but a forge or something, since the blacksmith is the person who works in the forge, and I imagine that in this case, that duty would fall to a bunch of imps Wink.
I am the Wordweaver...
06-11-2013 12:40 AM
joshuageorpe Offline
Confused!

Cool updates, I'm always checking this forums when I thought about it. Dwelvers 3d block is starting to make it look like Minecraft. Waterfalls and flooding dungeons is a good concept and idea. Building site blueprints makes it more easier to identify what building is being constructed on that area. Impanzee lair... hmm a good biome where impanzees could live off. The knight, a human living in a dungeon full of monsters, heh, that's a hilarious twist for Dwelvers. The goblin-orc creature, will it be the one replacing Dark Elves as the most cheapest monster?
06-11-2013 04:27 PM
Ameena Offline
Wordweaver
Dwelvers Writers

I think the Knight is going to be one of the "goodly heroes" (as they're called in the DK games) coming down from the surface to try and destroy all these foul creatures who want to kill the huamns and steal all their stuff Wink.
I am the Wordweaver...
06-11-2013 11:43 PM
Regit Offline
Dungeon Lord

any new screenshot? Smile
FEEED US xD
11-11-2013 02:11 PM