Impression Alpha 0.4 hydraulic contraptions
I haven't made any yet but I'll be building a counter to show how many times a doorway is used (binary display output) and my design for a pathfinding proof 1 way system (i hope)

both ideas are in my head and a basic diagram for the 1 way system scribbled on paper (still need to think about wireing path though as i havent found a route through without crossing wires, though i have a half baked idea for a system to allow me to cross wires without mixing signals)

will have the counter up first and then signal crosser and 1 way systems up after

EDIT: will post images and instructional vids explainibg how they work. also post any 0.4 hydraulic contraptions here
Looking forward to it Smile
Below are a couple shots of my binary counter

[Image: 2hd2jgn.jpg]

sadly the second picture shows a flaw in the design, if 2 imps cross the preassure plate at once it counts as 1 and creates an anomily in the number (according to this an imp should be in the storage room but isnt)

[Image: 2vwgxg9.jpg]

just to add, this is an 8 bit counter, it allows you to keep track of 255 uses of a door then cycles back to 0, it is completely tileable and the maximum you can track doubles with each additional tile i.e if you add another bit you can track 511 (double it and add one) after 1023... and so on.
this is just an update to let people know the binary counter vid is rendering, when that is done i shall upload it to youtube (as a test) then get into editing it for the construction tutorial
oops, almost forgot to post this, here's the test video for my tutorial (needs editing and audio adding still, hence unlisted)

http://youtu.be/Gr6TEdICql4
4 out of 5 developers like this idea, the fifth guy is just an ***hole.
This is so cool! It reminds me of all the Minecraft videos I have watched with all these awesome redstone constructions. You know, my hydraulics system have one fault, and that is that it only activates once a imp step on the pressurepad and then deactivates again. If you have played Minecraft (which I suspect you have Tongue) this can easily be solved by having an on/off system for the hydraulics instead. If an imp steps on the pressurepad it will active fully and if he leaves it, it will deactivate..
i am working on an idea in my head for a pulse shortener, I think a double pulser using repeaters and the switch may be the answer
Maybe that was a bad explanation.. I could do it so that the pressurepad works like an on off switch and follow the same scheme as any electrical circuit. Maybe I can do three types of pressure pads, the one I just mentioned, the one I have now (like a fast on of switch), and one that activates for every new imp that enters the tile. Maybe I don't need three types of pressure pads, but instead give the player the option to set it to different configurations. It could also be set to only active when an ally steps on it, or a enemy or both. The same thing could work with the movable wall, to have the option to make it go back to its original position automaticly if it is not feed with pressure..
ah yes, i understand what you mean now, also it appears that my design for a pulser doesn't work anyways, the switch doesn't work as i expected (maybe i should have tested it first)
That's too bad. Still, that 8-bit binary counter was a very ingenious way of using the existing hydraulics system. I didn't realize it even could be used in this sort of way. This sort of usage would be outstanding in creating some very devious traps and puzzles for opponents for any multilayer versions that Rasmus might make, or even just as a learning tool to get used to how to use the hydraulics system to its fullest. Big Grin
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
thank you, with that design you could (with a bit of fiddling and using switches) could be used to make a trap that fires say on the 9th person through. however one that fires on the first, second, 4th, 8th. etc person through would be easier
Rasmus Wrote:Maybe I don't need three types of pressure pads, but instead give the player the option to set it to different configurations. It could also be set to only active when an ally steps on it, or a enemy or both.

I really think that is the way to go. So you could right click the switch (and maybe to add to the thought) have two sets of options independent of each other. On the one side have trigger once/trigger perpetual (this option would remove the need for the repeater), and on the other side have triggered by ally/enemy/both.
Mello Tonin Wrote:On the one side have trigger once/trigger perpetual (this option would remove the need for the repeater), and on the other side have triggered by ally/enemy/both.
This is a good idea.

It still would not remove the need for a repeater though. By removing the repeater and having the trigger itself repeat, it would then mean everything it triggers must be either repeated infinitely, or only once, removing the option to have the same trigger activate 2 different things and have one effect happen only once and the other repeat. Eg: have a pressure pad close a movable wall (sealing whoever triggered it in a room) and have cannons fire repeatedly. Without the repeater this sort of trap would be impossible. The wall would then oscillate between opened and closed or the cannons would fire just once.

Being able to disable the trigger after a single use would actually make the above example trap even better as the entrance would remain sealed, assuming whoever is trapped in there can't eventually their way through it. For this to work best though, you would need a way of telling your imps to reset such traps so that repeaters stop, and trigger once traps are re-activated to work their evil on another unsuspecting intruder.

:twisted:
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
done a little cropping of the length of the video and added audio (thank you audacity and windows movie maker) anyone know if youtube accepts
HD WMV files or will i need to convert it?