Pass:     
Help Register

My New Idea Construction Idea - Ladders
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

Construction Idea - Ladders
• Ladders •

Info
I'd like to have the option to build a ladder, especially for when I need to have my imps digging down into a deep mine shaft, following resource deposits, so they can climb back out again.

Stats
Highlight: Ladders that can help climbing up or down on higher levels.
Function: The ladder should definitely cost wood, at least, and should have a maximum height that it can reach, say 2 or 3 tiles, so the imps could dig down after some valuable resources. build a ladder out of wood to climb back out of a pit of up to 3 tiles deep and transport the resources to the nearest store, without having to use up a ton of space on 3 drops of 1 tile each. With all the large caverns and bodies of water in the game, this makes it hard to find the space needed to place most rooms.
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 07:50 PM by Sebt.)
20-12-2013 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE: New Object - Ladders
I do like this idea Smile And it is something I've been thinking of. It will probably be implemented in the future. But not at this moment because there are some visual aspects to think of. I could make it work very easily in the game if the imps could just teleport from the bottom tile to the top tile, but that won't look to good. I barely got away with it as it is now that the imps glides between tiles that have different heights.

So the most direct solution is that the creatures would jump up on a ladder and start climbing it until they reach the top where they go off. But what this would mean for the game is the that all creatures in the game would have to have climbing ladders animations, and what if a creature gets attacked halfway up the ladder? Should he fall off? Keep climbing? The problem here is that it can interfere with the game flow.

All these issues could of course be solved, but if possible I think the game would run smoother and also save me some programming time if there were another solution instead of ladders. Like a tunnel going through the wall and then up the ground at the top level, in that way the creatures could just run right up (or glide right up) very quickly without me having to add a whole new element to the game.

Another solution is a little more futuristic one, that there are a portal of some sort put in the wall, and on the top floor of that pile of tiles we would have the destination portal.
20-12-2013 02:04 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

IMO major changes in height should be a barrier unless the right equipment is available, otherwise what's the point in having walls or 3D building?

Ladders, some form of lift or some sort of magical lift system would be ways to invest time and resources into solving the barriers, much like bridges allow creatures to cross water where they normally couldn't. Whatever method(s) you use, it should cost resources and only be effective in the specific areas where it's been built by the imps. The main point here is to have some sort of construct that solves the problem of creatures getting stuck without upsetting the game balance.
20-12-2013 02:20 PM
Xiemas Offline
Dark Side Member

I know something. Why not make a lift with the wires? You need to place them and make them, the imps can operate the lifts by them selfs but you need to build them. It's like a ladder but you don't need any other animation than a imp pressing a button to go up and stand still. A disadvantage is that should the lift slow the imps down or is it a fast lift. When the lift is up you need and imps need to get up they need to wait. Or you can make 2 elevators 1 for up and 1 for down ore these 2 in one tile.
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
20-12-2013 02:35 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Well, it is not the animations that is the tricky part, it is that the creature will have to stop at a certain location (x, z, not height), and wait an amount of time before they reach the top. During that time many things can happen to disturb the game-flow. What I'm looking for is some way to reach the top in the same speed as if they were running between tiles, and still make it look good.
20-12-2013 02:44 PM
Xiemas Offline
Dark Side Member

Elevators
Pyramid of Live
20-12-2013 02:45 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Then they would have to stand still on the elevator waiting to reach the top. But I must say that I would prefer elevators over ladders actually.
20-12-2013 02:47 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello
Evil Admins

Going back to portals, that wouldn't be a bad idea. It doesn't have to be futuristic as the game will have some magical components to it. Being able to have a caster craft an element used in the construction of it besides stone and/or metal (perhaps wood) would make it so that it isn't cost effective to put these things all over, but allow you to move freely between certain parts of your dungeon.
20-12-2013 03:44 PM
Xiemas Offline
Dark Side Member

Yea the portals are maybe something for the spells, I don't know what you are going to do with the spell but you can make a spell when you click on 2 walls imps automatic create the 2 portals on the walls.
Pyramid of Live
20-12-2013 03:56 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

elevators would be a good solution, and could be operated by the existing hydraulics system. An imp steps on the elevator and it activates the hydraulics and lifts the imp up as fast as if it were running up/down the wall.

Portals could be a faster, more expensive magical way of handling this as well.
20-12-2013 09:48 PM
Xiemas Offline
Dark Side Member

hmm implementing both, ok do it Big Grin
Pyramid of Live
20-12-2013 09:50 PM
Mastergoose Offline
Realm Conqueror

I love all ideas! Depending on the programming and the engine, several options in tiers would be cool to have!
Is it possible to mark/create a certain area, like an elevator, where the imps can walk straight up against the walls? In animations you would rotate the xyz-field. I'm not sure if the engine allows that..

Or a levitation device. It could instantly move the creature without having special animations. You could even visualize it with something like a magic circle or so. Example: http://s18.postimg.org/83dzq692x/levitation.jpg
21-12-2013 01:55 AM
Xiemas Offline
Dark Side Member

Hmm I like the platform where the imp is standing on. It's like a beamer.
Pyramid of Live
21-12-2013 02:41 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

Hey MG, that's a good idea, worthy of the +1 boost you got
21-12-2013 03:53 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello
Evil Admins

Agreed, you displayed how this elevator system could be portrayed. Either way, this 3D model will help us build limits to how someone could access the different levels provided by the 3D model as well as set limits for expansion into enemy territory on a multi-player scenario.
21-12-2013 06:24 AM