Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Q & A What exactly is the deal with SMP?
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

What exactly is the deal with SMP?
According to the contact page, SMP's BurningPet is part of the Dwelvers team and "Dwelvers is supported by S.M.P"

So, what exactly is the relationship? Will SMP get profits from the game sales, or what exactly is the nature of the cooperation?

I'm asking this because quite a bunch of people who bought SMP's previous game are a bit upset that it was never finished and seems to have been abandoned despite promise of continuous updates. There's a complete lack of communication and the community members have to hunt Towns related information from places like bay12 forums, because burningpet doesn't feel like talking about Towns in the official forums. The SMP team aren't even reading messages relating to Towns anymore, and at the same time they're advertising "their" new game, Dwelvers.

And now, Dwelvers is suddenly moving into pre-order stage, asking for money and promising continuous updates ...

Quote:Dwelvers is a game that is being continuous updated

This seems really familiar, where did I see something like that before? Oh right, in the Steam store page of the now abandoned Towns game, look what it says:

Quote:Towns is continually being developed and updated to bring you the best experience possible!

Notice the pattern here? Seems pretty grim when you consider what happened to SMP's previous game, Towns. Even if you have the best of intentions, you need to consider the possibility that the game will never be finished. After all, you aren't going to refund the pre-orders if you have to cancel the project, are you?

Is Dwelvers becoming the next Towns? Will SMP get part of the money from these pre-orders to "support" yet another indie developer, and thus pull this stunt again?

PS. If you think I'm being a little harsh about SMP here, seriously check out Towns. The game no longer launches on Mac at all (assuming latest OS X installed) and a workaround requires downloading extra software and modifying game launch scripts manually. SMP isn't interested in fixing the issue, and they have known about this problem for over a year now! Additionally, the game content is completely unbalanced and playability is horrible and apparently it won't ever get fixed. Back when new features were still being implemented, they were pushed live without being playtested at all, see the zombie event catastrophe for an extreme example. A textbook example of a hobby project turned into a money grab and then abandoned.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 03:58 PM by Sebt.)
25-12-2013 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Online
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

RE: What exactly is the deal with SMP?
This is my opinion as a developer, not S.M.P.. They may have the same opinion, but I'm not speaking for them.

To give you a reasonable answer I will take it from the beginning on how S.M.P has helped me through the process of the development of Dwelvers.

Dwelvers were first introduced at a IndieGoGo campaign where I tried to raise some money to be able to continue the development on full time. There I made promises that I would have the game finished within a year if the campaign goals were met, and that the backers would get various gifts depending on their donation to the game. The campaign didn't went that well, which meant that I had to continue developing Dwelvers on the side of my regular day time job. Also that some of the gifts would had to be postponed in time a bit, but I had and still have my mind set on for filling everything I have promised, just that it would take a little bit longer time.

So one month after the campaign BurningPet took contact with me and offered to help me with the development financially, and a lot of other things as well, and if it wasn't for his offer I still would have been developing Dwelvers, just that I wouldn't have had the time to progress to the state Dwelvers are in now. So for the game S.M.P support has been nothing but a blessing, and for me as a the main developer it has made my life so much easier. So I'm extremely thankful for their support!

About the pre-order state, it has been there right from the start, even before S.M.P started to support me. By pre-ordering the game it will we get some extra finances that we can use to improve the game before we are actually starting to sell it. Also we will try to push it into Steam early access even before it is finished, but this is only so that we can get the finances we need to keep developing it at a fast phase. You may argue that S.M.P have made a lot of money of Towns and should use that money on Dwelvers instead of making Dwelvers go into Steam as a alpha/beta version. But remember that S.M.P only get a small cut of the sales for their help, and not the whole profit, therefore it wouldn't be fair of me to accept more financially support than that I know that the game will generate.

So just to clairify, S.M.P helps me:
- Financially.
- With most of the 2D art and some of the texturing.
- With some of the Game design.
- Some modelling.
- The music.
- Getting CobraMode involved in the game (he makes most of the 3D creatures).
- Future advertising.
- Getting it into Steam.

And if you have any problem with S.M.P it should not be reflected back on me that are developing the game. Because if you even think that they are going to abandoned their support of Dwelvers (which I truly doubt because they are very involved in the development), I will still continue developing this game. To be honest, this is like a dream for me being able to work full-time on a game I really enjoy developing, and there is no way I'm letting this game go before it is finished!
25-12-2013 01:47 PM
Rasmus Online
Dwelvers Developers

The claims you are making are pretty harsh, and I understand if you have some questions about my relationship with S.M.P, but I would like you to continue this discussion so that I see that you are honest in your questions and not just are looking for revenge on other games S.M.P have supported because you have had a bad experience with them.

Remember that S.M.P are supporting the game, and so far they have done a very good job! And if you have a problem with S.M.P you should bring it up with them, not with me, because they are as it says on the web-page supporting it, and the only thing they can do against the game is too stop supporting it, and even then the game would continue to progress because it is I that are developing it.
25-12-2013 02:29 PM
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

I wasn't aware that the pre-order system had been there since the beginning, I thought this was something SMP must have suggested you to do. You know, it looked pretty bad that you were following the same pattern.

Anyway, this isn't about getting revenge on SMP. I just need some answers and it appears SMP guys are intentionally avoiding the Towns forums. Thus the only way to find out WTF is going on is doing some investigative legwork and asking around elsewhere.

I figured maybe he didn't check Towns stuff because it's christmas and thus I have patiently waited a week to get response to my private message. But then I looked at the Towns page on Desura and saw he has been advertising Dwelvers on twitter recently, saying "check out our new game". Whose game is it again? SMP's? Who is this "us" he's talking about? All the Towns players assumes "us" in that context means SMP and he's talking about SMP's new game.

The problem is that SMP is doing almost zero communication towards the Towns community. Information about updates have sometimes been found on bay12 forums and reposted on the official forums by the community. Neither of the developers seem to like being on the forums.

I just wanted to know what's going on when burningpet is pretending to be searching for a new programmer for Towns and then doesn't read the messages he receives about it.

Now he's pretending he simply didn't answer it (implying he chose not to answer due to the content, i.e. that he had read it). However, since PhpBB keeps unread messages in the sender's Outbox until they have been read, I know burningpet didn't read the message until after I posted here. Alternatively, he simply wanted to move my private question into public for god knows what reason... I'm starting to think it's a cover up, he didn't want to deal with Towns stuff during christmas time but doesn't want to admit it, so he made up an excuse that unfortunately can be verified to be a lie.

This mess is just getting deeper with every step I take.

Anyway, be aware that Towns community on Steam is still quite active with people who are angry about the lack of promised updates and the deceptive game description. If you ever get Dwelvers on Steam, they will find you and you might have to answer for what went on with Towns. If burningpet, the current face of SMP talks about Dwelvers using words "our game", then that means he's saying it's SMP's game. At least you'll be able to avoid some pitfalls if your game gets marked as "early access", since a lot of the Towns related hatred stems from the fact that Towns pretends to be a finished game when it's obviously not.
25-12-2013 04:55 PM
Rasmus Online
Dwelvers Developers

Well, the thing is that even if I know and talk to BurningPet regular, I can not be the middle hand in this mess. I will neither say that he or you is right or wrong, you really need to take your issues with Towns to the Towns forum and not here.
I am not trying to be rude or try to hide that there is a problem. But I can't answer your questions for you. If BurningPet is avoiding you as you say he is, I can and will not force a reply out of him, and I can't talk for him either.

I hope you understand my predicament here :/
25-12-2013 08:19 PM
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

Sure, I understand you want to have no part in this. However, if Dwelvers ends up being SMP's game, there's no way for you to avoid being an impartial third party.

SMP pulled off quite a stunt with Towns. No matter what the reasons and intentions were, the end result was a money grab with promises broken and customers seriously deceived. There are a number of trolls on Steam forum that have continuously been raging about the situation for a whole year now, and they'll surely vent their anger at every other project SMP is involved with. I imagine it's just a matter of time until you'll have to deal with them too.

So, this isn't really just about Towns. This is about business ethics of SMP. They have refused to change the store description for Towns to honestly describe the game, trying to pin the blame on Steam and how Steam doesn't let them tell the truth. They aren't even trying to fix a fatal problem that prevents the game from launching, even if it affects almost every mac user. In the end, they have made over 2 million dollars gross from a game that feels like a huge scam, and now they're using that money to try to make more money through other indie games...

You said SMP gets a cut of your profits. This means there are going to be a lot of people who want to see your project die a horrible death, just because there's no other recourse against SMP's unethical business practices.
25-12-2013 09:08 PM
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

Hey. I've checked all the links You've post and let me try understand what you're afraid of and dissatisfied.

(25-12-2013 11:30 AM)muzzy Wrote:  According to the contact page, SMP's BurningPet is part of the Dwelvers team and "Dwelvers is supported by S.M.P"

So, what exactly is the relationship? Will SMP get profits from the game sales, or what exactly is the nature of the cooperation?

I'm asking this because quite a bunch of people who bought SMP's previous game are a bit upset that it was never finished and seems to have been abandoned despite promise of continuous updates. There's a complete lack of communication and the community members have to hunt Towns related information from places like bay12 forums, because burningpet doesn't feel like talking about Towns in the official forums. The SMP team aren't even reading messages relating to Towns anymore, and at the same time they're advertising "their" new game, Dwelvers.

The relationship between Rasmus and SMP is about to make and release full game together. Regarding to Contact site on Dwelvers.com You can see they're officialy working together as the one Dwelvers development team. The game is planning to be released for money (Rasmus and burningpet are working together, so yes, both will get money for their hard work), however at the current stage of development the game is still releasing for free (because we still need more players, reviewers, gametesters etc. also as the game is still under early development stage). SMP said about "our" game meaning about both Rasmus and SMP.

(25-12-2013 11:30 AM)muzzy Wrote:  And now, Dwelvers is suddenly moving into pre-order stage, asking for money (...)

As Rasmus said pre-ordering was from the beginning of making Dwelvers and that won't change.

(25-12-2013 11:30 AM)muzzy Wrote:  (...) and promising continuous updates...

Quote:Dwelvers is a game that is being continuous updated
This seems really familiar, where did I see something like that before? Oh right, in the Steam store page of the now abandoned Towns game, look what it says:

Quote:Towns is continually being developed and updated to bring you the best experience possible!

Notice the pattern here? Seems pretty grim when you consider what happened to SMP's previous game, Towns. Even if you have the best of intentions, you need to consider the possibility that the game will never be finished. After all, you aren't going to refund the pre-orders if you have to cancel the project, are you?

Is Dwelvers becoming the next Towns? Will SMP get part of the money from these pre-orders to "support" yet another indie developer, and thus pull this stunt again?

Because the pattern is similar and that makes you afraid if that I understand, that could mean Dwelvers would go the same way as Towns at the moment. The truth is because Rasmus and Ben are working together they've decide to put similar text, because both states it sounds good, but there is nothing more than that. Wink

Funding a game or whatever it is you take a risk. You've took a risk and you were dissapointed about Towns. I can't predict the future and don't know if that would happen too, but for today even Dwelvers hasn't get fundings, Rasmus had to work on Dwelvers only after his full time job, everyone as still now are working with him on the game - he have never stopped. If You would like to know about Rasmus check history of his work, Ben is a designer and graphic artist, he is responsible for graphic side and helps funding Dwelvers without the game couldn't be developing as fast as now (check how Dwelvers looked like 2-3 months before and now, see the differences?) and however both working on marketing side, decision can be made only by Rasmus.

What's more, about that what you've state - so rarely added updates, buggy game - are programming issues and that is only belonging to Rasmus, so You don't need to worry about that here, but anyway if they've did something wrong there must be a reason, have you ask about/know that reason?
If it comes to communication, availability - here we answer as most posts and pms as it is possible, just take a look around the forum, Reddit, IndieDB and other channels.

(25-12-2013 11:30 AM)muzzy Wrote:  PS. If you think I'm being a little harsh about SMP here, seriously check out Towns. The game no longer launches on Mac at all (assuming latest OS X installed) and a workaround requires downloading extra software and modifying game launch scripts manually. SMP isn't interested in fixing the issue, and they have known about this problem for over a year now! Additionally, the game content is completely unbalanced and playability is horrible and apparently it won't ever get fixed. Back when new features were still being implemented, they were pushed live without being playtested at all, see the zombie event catastrophe for an extreme example. A textbook example of a hobby project turned into a money grab and then abandoned.

This is something that could worry you about cooperation between Dwelvers and Ben, but here if they failed about something you need to speak with them because Dwelvers are not working on Towns, we can't help with them, but I have shown this topic to Ben today and hope will finally answer you.

(25-12-2013 04:55 PM)muzzy Wrote:  I wasn't aware that the pre-order system had been there since the beginning, I thought this was something SMP must have suggested you to do. You know, it looked pretty bad that you were following the same pattern.

Anyway, this isn't about getting revenge on SMP. I just need some answers and it appears SMP guys are intentionally avoiding the Towns forums. Thus the only way to find out WTF is going on is doing some investigative legwork and asking around elsewhere.

I figured maybe he didn't check Towns stuff because it's christmas and thus I have patiently waited a week to get response to my private message. But then I looked at the Towns page on Desura and saw he has been advertising Dwelvers on twitter recently, saying "check out our new game". Whose game is it again? SMP's? Who is this "us" he's talking about? All the Towns players assumes "us" in that context means SMP and he's talking about SMP's new game.

The problem is that SMP is doing almost zero communication towards the Towns community. Information about updates have sometimes been found on bay12 forums and reposted on the official forums by the community. Neither of the developers seem to like being on the forums.

I just wanted to know what's going on when burningpet is pretending to be searching for a new programmer for Towns and then doesn't read the messages he receives about it.

Now he's pretending he simply didn't answer it (implying he chose not to answer due to the content, i.e. that he had read it). However, since PhpBB keeps unread messages in the sender's Outbox until they have been read, I know burningpet didn't read the message until after I posted here. Alternatively, he simply wanted to move my private question into public for god knows what reason... I'm starting to think it's a cover up, he didn't want to deal with Towns stuff during christmas time but doesn't want to admit it, so he made up an excuse that unfortunately can be verified to be a lie.

This mess is just getting deeper with every step I take.

Anyway, be aware that Towns community on Steam is still quite active with people who are angry about the lack of promised updates and the deceptive game description. If you ever get Dwelvers on Steam, they will find you and you might have to answer for what went on with Towns. If burningpet, the current face of SMP talks about Dwelvers using words "our game", then that means he's saying it's SMP's game. At least you'll be able to avoid some pitfalls if your game gets marked as "early access", since a lot of the Towns related hatred stems from the fact that Towns pretends to be a finished game when it's obviously not.

As I said that must be fixed by Towns and you need both to understand you and then work on solution, especially that you've paid for what you expect!

Anyway thanks for creating this topic and share your state about cooperation between Dwelvers and SMP - where people who "will find you and you might have to answer for what went on with Towns" could find the answer. If have still any doubts, requests, please don't stop writting about them! I hope our answers helped you, if not how can we help You?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(This post was last modified: 25-12-2013 10:16 PM by Sebt.)
25-12-2013 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

This looks to be quite an issue here. I took a look at the official Towns forum and checked out the other site muzzy linked to and this does look like something that could become a problem down the road. I can't get at the steam community ATM as it seems to be down.

@ Sebt: I don't get the point of your post. Please don't quote all the posts in a thread, it's confusing and unnecessary. I can read each post as it was posted quite fine, and so can everyone else.
25-12-2013 10:05 PM
Sebt Offline
An upcoming creature?
Evil Admins

(25-12-2013 10:05 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  @ Sebt: I don't get the point of your post. Please don't quote all the posts in a thread, it's confusing and unnecessary. I can read each post as it was posted quite fine, and so can everyone else.

I have need to answer on everything he post, except that there was few quotations in muzzy's post, yes that could looked messy, so I've done some edition there, now is more clear, or something is not still?
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
25-12-2013 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Ninja Dinosaur

Yes, that is better. I think part of the problem is that the border around the quotes is too light, so not enough contrast between the border and the background to see where a quote ends. I'll post that in the proper forum, in it's own thread though.
25-12-2013 10:38 PM
burningpet Offline
Game & Graphics Designer
Dwelvers Game Designers

Ill reply everything that is directly involving Dwelvers and not Towns because this is a topic on dwelver's general discussion thread. if you want to bring up issues with Towns, do so at the off topic section please.

As Rasmus said, after i pledged to his Indiegogo campaign and followed closely his progress and development i decided that we, as SMP, should help him financially with developing the game. i saw a hard working, experienced and dedicated developer with a passion toward his game and care for his costumers. obviously we are not rich enough to start a charity so we decided on a certain percentage from all future sales from steam to get back to us, so even right now we aren't making any money from it and considering the percentage of games that manage to make enough profit in order to make our investment financially worth while, i hardly consider it a "safe bet" or some sort of money grabbing act as you imply.

My involvement with Dwelvers is revolving around the graphical aspect of the game. i have attracted a character modeler, paid for the music, make some models, paint textures and give general insights regarding the art style. here and there i discuss general design issues with rasmus and give my own suggestions and insights, although, the vast majority of the design behind Dwelvers belongs to rasmus. if i take a step back and do nothing from now own, or, as you imply, run and live in a hut in the far east, the development of Dwelvers will not stop as its not reliant on me.

I think its extremely unfair to judge Rasmus based on what we did or did not do with Towns, as he had no involvement what so ever with Towns. not before and not now.

Is Towns development rate in a state i find sufficient? no, definitely not! but that doesn't mean i am not trying my best to get it into being an active game again.
Will those issues get backfired at dwelvers? probably to some extent, i wont fool myself here, there are countless people who felt we did a terrible job with Towns, but every coin has two sides and i have had top industry veterans that have worked on some of the most known and beloved games tell me how much they love Towns, so our involvement will also have a positive effect.

Will the development of Dwelvers resemble that of Towns? Definitely not. the only reason i went in and backed rasmus, was not because of his game, but because of him and the progress he had made. rasmus is far more experienced and professional than us and his mind is always pointed toward his players.

If ill start seeing that my involvement with Dwelvers is harming rasmus, ill take an even further step back.
(This post was last modified: 25-12-2013 11:01 PM by burningpet.)
25-12-2013 10:58 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

Thanks for posting about this issue muzzy brought up.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your Towns project back on track.
25-12-2013 11:11 PM
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

(25-12-2013 09:37 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Funding a game or whatever it is you take a risk. You've took a risk and you were dissapointed about Towns.

When I bought Towns, I didn't realize I was funding an unfinished game. It was on Steam, it was advertised as a featured game on the front page of Steam, and I believed it was a finished game. To add insult to the injury, I was new to Steam and I thought being voted in greenlight meant the players had voted this game out of every game available on Steam to receive some sort of award of excellency (I don't mind if you laugh). I had no idea there was a risk involved with the purchase, and Steam refused to give me a refund despite my repeated requests.

The fact that it was completely unfinished made a lot of people angry, and SMP refused to change the game description to tell the truth. Instead, they added an even more deceptive sentence into the description, that "Towns is continually being developed and updated...". It was in response to complains about the game being unfinished, and supposed to be a disclaimer stating the game isn't finished yet. It doesn't look anything like a disclaimer to me.

Before Steam, the version number scheme of Towns was 0.5 and 0.6 etc, but when they launched on Steam they suddenly started calling the versions v7 v8 v9 so the customers wouldn't realize the game was unfinished. Before launch on Steam they had actively called the game "alpha", but then they claimed to have two week private beta and finally the game was launched and it was no longer alpha or beta. The game itself didn't change much, it was still in pretty much the same state as it was during "alpha". It was ridiculously bad and bugridden.

SMP made their money by selling an unfinished game to people who expected it to be a finished game. They didn't make that money through alphafunding or by selling game to people who knew they were taking a risk. They chose to let people be deceived for the sake of money rather than having guts to resolve the situation.

(25-12-2013 09:37 PM)Sebt Wrote:  Anyway thanks for creating this topic and share your state about cooperation between Dwelvers and SMP - where people who "will find you and you might have to answer for what went on with Towns" could find the answer. If have still any doubts, requests, please don't stop writting about them! I hope our answers helped you, if not how can we help You?

Right now I worry that SMP will "help" you guys with marketing too when the game reaches a minimum level of playability. After which SMP will move on to the next project once there's some income flowing and you'll be left alone to deal with the haters.

Afterall, the game doesn't need to be good to make money. Just check the reviews for Towns to see how loved that game is, and yet it has made at least 2 million dollars, probably a bunch of more by now.
26-12-2013 09:30 AM
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

(25-12-2013 10:58 PM)burningpet Wrote:  I think its extremely unfair to judge Rasmus based on what we did or did not do with Towns, as he had no involvement what so ever with Towns. not before and not now.

I'm not judging Rasmus. Afterall, he's not doing this alone. I understand this game is now SMP's game.

(25-12-2013 10:58 PM)burningpet Wrote:  Is Towns development rate in a state i find sufficient? no, definitely not! but that doesn't mean i am not trying my best to get it into being an active game again.

It would help if you weren't intentionally avoiding the Towns community. You post on bay12 about working on v15 but the official forums hasn't heard a word of it. It doesn't need more than that, just a word to show you're alive and that you care, just letting the community know that work is still progressing and things are moving. Or letting them know you're still around even if work isn't progressing. You haven't done even that much.

It would also help if the game ever had a roadmap. Or a schedule. Or any kind of plans, you know. Some dates that you're aiming for. Obviously the deadlines always slip past and disappear behind the horizon, but having no deadlines and no milestones is worse than it is to miss them. You need something to track the progress, afterall. Otherwise Towns will be a project that never ever finishes and never ever gets anywhere.

The very reason I'm discussing this here on Dwelvers forums is the lack of communication. I can only assume Xavi has suffered a burnout or something due to the situation being too much for him to handle, but you're active and advertising SMP's new game already. I'm not sure what kind of conclusions I should draw about this. It would help if we knew what's going on and what to expect. It would help if you had some sort of weekly updates about what's happening, or even rants about what's not happening. Or just get on the forums every friday and chat for a few hours.

It would be really awesome if I could actually talk about Towns on the Towns forums... I shouldn't have needed to come here for that.
26-12-2013 11:12 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

I took a look on the Steam forum and found this message:

Quote:This game had HUGE potential. I loved it. But nope, now they run off t do something else. Leaving the game and the community to rot. And after reading some of the dev replies on the fourms. I can not and will not support these people again. After Making 2 MILLION DOLLORS MINIMAL.... They are only not "thinking" of hireing another programmer? watch out for anyone named Xavi and Rasmus.

burningpet ยป Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:54 am
"Yeah, we have a few people we debate among ourselves but are still looking for more applicants."

You game is dead and dieing... and you STILL don't have anyone?

In a thread heavily laden with criticism of both the game, Towns, and the developers, SMP. We'd best find a way to deal with this sort of negative publicity before Dwelvers is dismissed ad a rip-off or anything like that before development's even progressed beyond the alpha/beta stage.
26-12-2013 11:14 AM