My New Idea Goods Mechanic - Caravan
Caravan

Info
Caravans consist of a group of merchants hauling goods from town to town.
Although caravans are often rich and tempting targets for bandits and warlords, they are also often well guarded by hired soldiers and so are not easy targets to take, but if one were strong enough, the goods are plentiful and in some cases a caravan may even be hauling rare goods, possibly even exotic goods from distant lands, goods not found locally.

Appearance
Your image(s):

[Image: _DSF0848-Edit__685x0__.jpg]
Pic.1. A single wagon in a merchant caravan consisting of wagons, could either be hauling heavy bulk goods, or belong to a rich merchant on a long haul from exotic lands with many rare, valuable goods and possibly exotic goods. These types of caravans, due to their size and the wealth of their owners, tend to be the most heavily guarded of caravans.

[Image: 3198b.jpg]
Pic.2. A drawing of a medieval salt caravan. This could represent a less wealthy caravan, one that's less likely to have rare and exotic goods. Caravans like this would be made up of pack animals such as horses, mules or donkeys, and would be slower then those that have wagons, so would be more likely to be local merchants on regular trade runs, possibly hauling common local goods to market. These caravans make less tempting targets overall as their goods are typically rather mundane, but due to the sheer quantities and the fact that these merchants sometimes can't afford guard them as well as the wagon caravans can, are still worthwhile to pursue.

[Image: ts.jpg]
Pic.3. This could be an example of a caravan of modest peddlers. Consisting of a small cart hauled by a dog, donkey or the peddler himself. These would be small, often a single peddler and poorly guarded. There won't be much of value here, but since these caravans are often too poor to afford guards they can still be tempting targets due to the ease of taking them, even for a small group of bandits.

Stats
Highlight: Caravans haul goods around in the surface world between cities and other buildings on the surface, typically following roads.
Function: Caravans consist of merchants and guards. They come in 3 types:

1- wagon train: the largest and wealthiest, these types will be sure to be well guarded by many high level soldiers. In rare cases may even have a knight, wizard or priest among their guards. The goods they haul can range from large amounts of local bulk goods (eg ores, wood, stone, coal, grain), rare/finished goods (eg gold, beer, armaments, tools, Iron/Steel Bars), or exotic goods from distant lands (eg silk, spices, etc. if any such goods ever get added to the game)

2- Pack animals: A large train of pack animals, such as horses, mules or donkeys. Goods are loaded directly onto the backs of the animals and merchants may also be carrying goods too. These types of caravans usually have local bulk goods but in smaller quantities then the wagon train, or local finished products. It's highly unlikely that they would have any exotic goods, but some may be transporting gold to market from a local mine. They are usually guarded by soldiers, but the soldiers will not likely be of very high level, some higher level guards could be present if the caravan's hauling something valuable like gold.

3- Peddler: These are the poorest of the merchant caravans. Peddlers can consist of anything from 1 to a few dozen peddlers traveling together. They typically haul their goods in small carts, on a single pack animal or on their own backs. The carts can be pulled by a dog, donkey or the peddler himself. Goods on such caravans will be common and cheap. They also will usually be guarded, and if they are, it will likely not be more that 1 or 2 very inexperienced soldiers.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Added to Ideas & Game Features list. Smile

The first image seems to be broken.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(29-12-2013, 12:14 PM)Sebt Wrote: The first image seems to be broken.
Strange, it looks fine on my computer... Confused
The Golden One!
I also can't see it
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
Trying a different image, let me know if it works better.
The Golden One!
That one is working.
Pyramid of Live
[Image: kEbemdH.png]
great. Smile
The Golden One!
For me too Big Grin
Also I like the idea, it can be a inviting for Dungeon lords to strike the surface.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Nice! I like the idea of caravans or some sort of rich or maybe sometimes not so rich traveling targets on the surface for the Dungeon lord to get his hands on.
Yes, and if if the Hostility Level suggestion I made is also implemented, these could work in combination to give a very good reason for the surface dwellers to send adventurers and armies to invade our dungeons.

If we're raiding travelers and disrupting trade that'll get someone's attention up there for sure, and they won't be happy either.
The Golden One!
I want to refer to this post I just made Wink
http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php...56#pid3256

I like the idea of easy loot/plunder but harsh consequences in the future.
My idea is that the wagon train be a heavily guarded type of caravan, not easy at all to loot but with huge rewards if you can pull it off, and the peddler to be easy to loot but for only small rewardss with the pack animal train would be somewhere in the middle in both areas. If hostility is implemented then the size and wealth of the caravan could also determine how much its owner's hostility rating towards you rises (wealth+size=political influence).
The Golden One!