Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Cool Science
Rikus Khan Offline
Antroot Farmer

RE: Cool Science
If Chris Angel can make it into a science thread, this this Overunity engine is way overdue.

Code:
[insert witty text here]
18-01-2014 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

HAHAHA, it is pure sorcery to put CA in a science thread.

Actually IMO Overunity devices are science, if it's based on science and, most importantly, if it works. That one looks legit so far, but I'd need more info on it to be sure. Still it looks cool though, and I could see something like that, if it can be scaled up, being quite useful in many applications.

The main argument I usually see against Overunity (AKA 0-point energy) devices is that they break the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy. However, I find that argument to be irreverent. Such devices are not creating energy out of nothing as the detractors of this sort of technology claim they do, but rather are simply harnessing the abundant energy all around us that is everywhere.

Scientists, not being able to detect what this energy actually does when it was first discovered simply labeled it "Static" energy and looked at it no further, not being able to see any usefulness for it, in fact seeing it only as a source for harming sensitive components. Yet everyone has seen the results of this "Static" energy being put into motion in a very powerful and dramatic way.

I'm sure you've all seen this before:
[Image: Lightning_Storm_Petrified_Forest_Nationa...00x225.jpg]

That's what happens when 2 or more areas get highly charged with electrostatic energy and a high resistance distance separates them, preventing them from equalizing freely, so the charge can build up to the point where it can overcome the resistance in the dramatic fashion we call lightning. So another way of looking at it is, lightning is one way that this "static" energy can go into motion.

IMO a more appropriate definition for this energy would be Ambient energy, because it simply exists in the environment, in all environments in fact, from the centre of the largest quasar, to the deepest, darkest reaches of Space.

Overunity devices are simply methods of harnessing this ambient energy, converting it to a form that's usable by us, and putting it to work doing something that we want it to do. No energy is truly created or lost.

Who says the only way we can harness energy is to burn a black sludge, a smelly gas, a lump of petrified plant matter or from the breakdown of a radioactive substance? Well, who thinks they'll benefit from such artificial scarcity? Where there's scarcity, only a few can benefit, where there's abundance everyone can benefit.

I love this sort of science, these are people who are looking for answers to the problems of scarcity of energy, and of energy production that pollutes. Some of them are quacks, sure, most of the ideas won't be workable, sure, but that's science, and that's research, sifting through the quackery and the unworkable to find the legitimate and the workable.

What's the most state of the art energy production method in use today?

Is it nuclear power? Well, there's an interesting one for you, what is nuclear power generation? Simply put, it's using the heat generated by the radioactive decay of an element such as uranium or plutonium and using it to boil water to spin a turbine to generate an electrical current. In other words, it's just a supped-up steam engine. Nothing really new here, just a different way to boil water, just like we did about 400 years ago. I'll post more later, but right now I'm out of time...
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
18-01-2014 10:11 PM
Rikus Khan Offline
Antroot Farmer

I love the idea of an overbalanced wheel. This guy does too:

Code:
[insert witty text here]
19-01-2014 03:46 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

I couldn't help but notice that Eric Krieg also follows that mantra that fuel-less energy machines somehow produce something from nothing, when he says "you simply can't get energy from nothing" he's falling into the trap I mentioned in my previous message, that of forgetting about the ambient energy that's everywhere and abundant.

I tried searching on just how much but unfortunately I can't find anyone who actually says anything on that, all the info I could find is of a "what is it" nature, nothing on how much of it there is. I only have a vague memory of some documentary narrator mentioning some huge number that's contained in some small cubic amount but I don't remember the numbers and I can't find them anywhere.

To continue on my last post:

How new is wind power, another "innovative" solution to our power needs? Well it was very innovative thousands of years ago. wind has powered ships for over 5000 years, and has powered ventilation system for about as long.

This 3000 year old machine is the first ever known use of wind power for other purposes, and was developed in Persia. I was primarily used as a water pump and for grinding grains.
[Image: ancient-persian-windmills.jpg]
However, wind power is clean, there's a reason why it's been in use for nearly 6000 years. It's simple and it works... most of the time. It does suffer from the flaw that it depends on the weather, and it is vulnerable to getting becalmed. It also takes up a huge amount of space to produce an effective amount of power this way.

How about biofuel? It's fine, if we don't mind that it still pollutes a lot, and is still basically another way of running a steam engine... and if we don't mind burning that food we really need to eat, people are starving to death so is it really a good idea to burn the food out of the mouths of the starving? I don't consider that the least bit ethical at all.

What about solar power? The history of humans using solar power in one form or another is about as long as the history of the human race. Still, solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity are a very new and ingenious take on solar power. This technology still isn't efficient enough to produce power on a large scale, the size of solar the power plants needed to power, say all of British Columbia would be immense, so for now it's relegated to small scale power needs. Still this is an application in its infancy and no doubt if it is pursued further it will become more efficient. This could also be considered by some to be a form of fuel-less energy, as it takes the ambient energy provided by the sun and converts it into an electrical current. Aside from pollution generated during manufacturing, transport and installation, and disposal of old or broken units, they also don't pollute. Then again, the manufacturing, transportation, installation and disposal of Nuclear, fossil fuel and every other type of power generation also has that same problem anyways, but they also pollute during the power generation process too. So solar power is definitely worth pursuing and developing further.

Of course, burning coal, oil, gas or any other flammable substance not only pollutes, but such substances invariably exist in a finite quantity and that's about the oldest technology in human history, dating back tens of thousands of years. We've been burning stuff for energy for a very long time indeed.

Then there's ideas like the ones in the videos in this thread. Some may work, most probably won't but those few that do work are really the way of the future, and all are true science, exploring the boundaries of what's possible, and at times, rewriting those boundaries.

There was a time when we believed that if a person were to travel at speeds of faster then 50 MPH he would be crushed. Yet today we commonly travel at speeds of up to 10 times that amount or more without any ill effects, so that scientific law was dis-proven and abandoned. If we approached the 50 MPH speed theory then the same way as we do many other scientific beliefs, people like George Stevenson would have been ridiculed and laughed out of the scientific and engineering communities and we wouldn't have trains, motor powered ships, cars, trucks or airplanes, and we most definitely would never have walked on the moon, and these prophetic words would never have been spoken:

The Golden One!
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 09:42 AM by Seriously Unserious.)
19-01-2014 08:48 AM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

Oooh, figured this would come up eventually. I've seen several things on this subject and like SU said, unfortunately things like this contain more crackpots and quacks than real scientists. I love the idea of it, because like SU, I don't believe energy comes from nothing and people who often criticize the idea of 0-point Energy use that phrase to dismiss any validity to the point. Everything that is matter is energetic, and in fact there is far more energy than there is matter. When we think of fuel cells we see 2 of these elements used commonly to produce energy, Oxygen and Hydrogen. As far as I know, when you split the 2 from water, you aren't losing any of the matter, and then combining the 2 elements to generate the electrical charge, again there is not a loss. So we could think of electricity coming about as a byproduct of elements that form bonds. The electrons in those elements will still retain their original energy levels or else the atom would fall apart which could be really bad...so someone might say that this would be energy from nothing because essentially it wasn't there before and the electron didn't lose anything in the production.

Going back to static electricity, this is always a fun one and I would assume that again we have an example of so called energy from nothing. You have two objects, rub em together, and then electricity results. The electricity wasn't there before and nothing was lost in order to create it. Instead a charge differential between the two objects as positive particles try to attract to negative ones creates a byproduct of electricity in the attempt to come together. This is similar to the principle of how atoms bond due to + and - charges.

One of my favorite things associated with this concept of 0-point Energy is the Rodin Coil. If you look, you will find all sorts of opinions and experiments that would claim to prove, and disprove this idea. While it may or may not be able to tap into the energy flow that is constantly moving about and through us to produce free energy, it seems like an intelligent way to build an electro-magnetic coil to perhaps make more efficient generators, but again it's hard to know if it is even practical or just another hoax. I wish I had the knowledge to build one myself and be able to test its mechanical advantage, and validity.
20-01-2014 05:36 PM
Ascdren Offline
Hydraulic Engineer

got to set off to work in 10 minutes so just a little bit of fun for this 'free energy' thing.

here are some designs by leonardo da vinci for a perpetual motion machine.

(the designs where done to prove it is impossible)

[Image: Leonardo-da-vinci-perpetual-motion-machines.jpg]
20-01-2014 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Ninja Dinosaur

That's a cool pic Ascdren.

That reminds me of an exhibit I saw at the Vancouver Art Gallery just after the end of the 2010 Olympics. The exhibit was of Leonardo's work on the human body. He was so accurate that many of his measurements and drawings are more accurate then we can produce today, even with all our modern technology. That man was a genuine genius IMO.
The Golden One!
22-01-2014 06:17 AM
Ascdren Offline
Hydraulic Engineer

(22-01-2014 06:17 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  That's a cool pic Ascdren.

That reminds me of an exhibit I saw at the Vancouver Art Gallery just after the end of the 2010 Olympics. The exhibit was of Leonardo's work on the human body. He was so accurate that many of his measurements and drawings are more accurate then we can produce today, even with all our modern technology. That man was a genuine genius IMO.

Don't insult him, genius is quite an understatement
22-01-2014 07:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Ninja Dinosaur

Nah, not if you look at these 24 Traits of a Genius

I'd say that's Leo all right. He fits that description nicely. Wink
The Golden One!
22-01-2014 08:49 AM
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

Perpetum Mobile? Free energy? We could just name it to Nature Energy. Smile

Principles of that kind of energy:

How to built this motor and how it works?

Another ways to make it:

Actual project of Nature Energy motor.

I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2014 07:03 PM by Sebt.)
22-01-2014 06:56 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

Great post, Sebt. That last vid shows an interesting machine, although I don't understand most of what's going on in it as I don't understand the non-English parts of that vid.
The Golden One!
22-01-2014 11:23 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

Yeah that is pretty cool, although I think other factors would have to be considered before you could really call this free energy though. The reason I say that is because over time a magnetic field will get weak requiring that it be recharged, most commonly and easily done by using electricity. It could take a while for this to happen, which makes me think this would be an awesome way to store energy instead of batteries. Recharging the magnetic strength could maybe be done using solar collectors making this a cheap/free form of energy monetarily as the initial purchase of materials would likely be offset by the energy produced over time.

I wonder how much a magnetic field decreases when it is used to drive a motor which has heavy resistance put on it, like for instance when used as a car motor.
23-01-2014 06:24 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

An interesting question, to look up, mellow.

One way to recharge a magnetic field, if it's being used to generate electricity would be to loop the output electricity back into the magnetic motor, thus it would be continuously recharging the magnetic field as it's weakening. Would require someone who's into electronics/engineering to experiment with this idea though.
The Golden One!
23-01-2014 07:21 PM
TacticBlack Offline
Tactical Dungeoneer
Dwelvers Voice Actors

Elon Musk is awesome. SpaceX, Tesla Motors, Hyperloop. This guy is not ahead of his time, he is where his competitors should be.

At any rate here are self driving cars called EN-Vs

[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.

17-02-2014 07:23 AM
TacticBlack Offline
Tactical Dungeoneer
Dwelvers Voice Actors

There is also the new source of power. they still have to figure out some problems with the carbon nanotubes necessary to pull this off but once the tubes can be mass-produced without the flaws then the LFTR (Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor) will be possible. It's nuclear but: it can't meltdown, it doesn't produce materials for nuclear weapons proliferation, it is extremely dense in the energy output versus potential energy, the fuel is readily available in the earth's crust and also no strong nuclear waste. Don't take my word for it, listen to this guy who worked for NASA for 11 years doing many things and designing a friggin moonbase to harvest Hydrogen 3 is one of them. Check it out!

[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.

17-02-2014 07:46 AM