Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Poll: How would you describe the feel of the finished game atmosphere? See OP for longer descriptions of options.
Serious - BadAss
Neutral - General Fantasy
Playful - Tongue-in-Cheek
Playful - Silly
[Show Results]

Brainstorm Describe the Feel of the Finished Game Ambiance
Sebt Offline
The Evil Admin
Evil Admins

RE: Describe the Feel of the Finished Game Ambiance - With Poll
I think it would be great to stick this topic, so I did it. Smile
I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy - The feasible plan to get rid of scarcity, poverty, and other incoming global issues.
11-02-2014 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

(07-02-2014 06:18 PM)Sebt Wrote:  You have no idea how much sinister, evil, disgusting, sarcastic and unpredictable will be Dwelvers, if this game some people won't like more than Dungeon Keeper, I will throw myself onto electric chair in Torture Room! Big Grin

It will be, my idea is that it is up to the player to make the dungeon happy or dark, both have its benefits, it is all a matter of what creatures and rooms the player want in the dungeon Wink

But nonetheless, I want to keep the game playful, because that is what gives the creatures character Smile
12-02-2014 02:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

Well said Rasmus. Smile
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
12-02-2014 08:38 AM
mishko Offline
Dungeon Lord

(07-02-2014 08:21 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  It's always fun when someone you recognize from another forum suddenly shows up. Smile

Well, if you're well enough known on another forum to be recognized here that tells me you're the sort to contribute to discussions regularly, which is good, so please do so, often. Smile
I will try to contribute more on this forum. I have never played the settlers though so I do not know how well my ideas will fit in for this game.
15-02-2014 09:01 PM
The Ninja Dinosaur

Well, then you can help out on the DK side of this game...

like this...
[Image: dk.jpg]

Tongue
The Golden One!
16-02-2014 07:57 AM
damiant Offline
Dungeon Lord

I definitely like the humor in DK, and I don't mean the one with the oversized ape up ^ there, lol. But it did get a little ridiculous at the end to me, taking itself a bit too seriously. Horney was cool, but they took him too far.

In the end, I want a good dungeon simulator where I am the master. I want combat to be fun and varied, with rewards that help me grow and fun environments to discover. And I want cool stuff to build and kill. But if it is comedic it is more fun I think. Like Dungeon Runners, it makes me laugh.
16-02-2014 03:47 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(16-02-2014 03:47 PM)damiant Wrote:  I definitely like the humor in DK, and I don't mean the one with the oversized ape up ^ there, lol. But it did get a little ridiculous at the end to me, taking itself a bit too seriously. Horney was cool, but they took him too far.

In the end, I want a good dungeon simulator where I am the master. I want combat to be fun and varied, with rewards that help me grow and fun environments to discover. And I want cool stuff to build and kill. But if it is comedic it is more fun I think. Like Dungeon Runners, it makes me laugh.

Don't mind SU, lately he have just have apes on his brain Tongue

When you say took him to far, do you mean DK2 or EA's DK mobile? Well, the humour balance is hard, it is easier making a game without humour because if it is overdone or ridicules it could destroy the whole game. I like the idea of a dungeon simulator, but but it also means micro management, I do like that, but I am trying to keep the game easy to play as well. If the player wants to make the dungeon as efficient as possible I think he or she should be given the possibility to tweak values, but it shouldn't be mandatory.
17-02-2014 02:21 AM
The Ninja Dinosaur

My user name pretty much says it all, sometimes I'm Serious, sometimes I'm Unserious, and sometimes, I'm Serious about being Unserious.

As Rasmus noticed, and probably everyone else who's been reading my posts lately, I've been in a more Unserious mood then usual lately. Tongue

Although the thumbs up part of the ape DK pose is definitely warrented with all the good ideas that have arisen from DaW's great idea to post this poll.
The Golden One!
17-02-2014 04:46 AM
Tamorr Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE:
Surprised that my opinion of direction is similar to that of the makers. Even though I voted for Neutral, I see it best to be a mix of 2 & 3 would be the one I personally would like.

I am not all into something too dark, as I play games for entertainment. Something as dark horror as The Grudge, is definitely not one I would continue playing.

On the playful note, it is nice to be silly, as I have enjoyed the WB cartoons of the past. However too much humor can make the game seem like there is not seriousness about it. I mean you are running a dungeon, not an endless act on a bar stage comedy hour. Although that would be an interesting thing to have in the bar room; a character/race that loves comedy even if lots of antroot are thrown at them while they take the mic. Never said the race would be good at it... Anyway that is a bit off-topic.

The main reason I say a middle ground is the simple fact that I look at game for what they are, and to have a balance somewhere in the environment is one of many things I look for in a game. Especially of this kind, as like I said I play for entertainment and well like some of which you have so far. So in end Balance is the primary reason I say 2 & 3 combined, if not somewhere in between. Smile
26-09-2014 03:45 PM
Goblin_Priest Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE: Describe the Feel of the Finished Game Ambiance
I loved Dungeon Keeper, so without asking for an outright clone, I'd favor an ambiance that is comparable to what it had.

Now, I haven't played it in quite some time, so details are fuzzy in my mind, but I seem to remember compartmentalizing the dungeon. I think some creatures didn't tolerate each other? Might have been mostly for the horned reaper, though, which I could never really control for all that long (I was young, so probably terrible at the game).

Having autonomous sections of the dungeon that still contribute to the whole is a challenge I enjoy.
24-06-2015 02:11 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
Yeah, some creatures didn't tolerate each other, I will be going in the same direction with the creatures in Dwelvers soon when it comes to humans and "the rest". Also, needs such as some creatures wanting to be loners, and some needing to be close to water and so on will also give the creatures more personality by demand.
24-06-2015 11:52 AM
SGrayWolf Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
At the moment, I think I see Dwelvers kinda on the 3 mark with some 2 in there. I've played all the games listed and I appreciated the various feels and the different atmospheres they gave me as a player.

For me, games like this ideally should be badass/serious when it needs to be but rounded out enough with playfulness and humor too.

As for Horny? I always had the thoughts that that was a dirty innuendo thrown in there secretly... He was a serious, badass mofo and messed heroes up.. but I couldn't help but imagine him, grabbing one of them and start humping away or some other such craziness while they screamed/flailed in terror... I totally got a warped sense of humor, I know... heh heh heh... Of course the Dark Mistress didn't help in pacifying those thoughts one bit... nope... xD
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2015 08:26 AM by SGrayWolf.)
29-06-2015 08:15 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE:
I agree, we should walk a little bit more in the direction of being bad ass, hopefully this will be somewhat achieved when the torture chamber is introduced Tongue
03-07-2015 08:31 AM
wildmick Offline
Dungeon Lord

RE:
in dk 2, when you built the individual creature rooms in a specific size it spawned a badass version of the creature.

While i find dwelvers to be more tongue in cheek than inherently evil, it would be cool to see some badass versions of each creature. Maybe the imp is mischevious and a bit of a bully, and it pushes other imps around or off cliffs, plays practical jokes etc. maybe the piggeh is greedy and rolls an imp into his bread dough, or is benign and throws an imp into the brewing vat. Yes they are badass but also comical in thier badassness.
11-08-2015 10:39 PM