Nick:  
Pass:     
Help Register

Isomer - Crash landed alien crew mining and building for survival
DwarvesAtWork Offline
Dungeon Lord

Isomer - Crash landed alien crew mining and building for survival
Indie Game - Isomer
RTS game set in a procedurally generated block world.
http://www.ionisingsoftware.co.uk/isomer/

I stumbled on this one late last year. You control a group of aliens that have crash landed on an Earthen planet. The indigenous humanoids on that planet have not taken kindly to this intrusion. They will try and destroy your wrecked ship's power core. If it is destroyed, you lose.

Unlike most of the minecraft-style block games, the enemies in this one can mine and destroy blocks to get at your power core. You can also launch an offensive against the nearby humanoid base, if you can find it. The game also allows you to recruit multiple units and control them all. So you can have multiple mining fronts and a squad defending your base.

You can also evolve your units into different classes. They start as an all-rounder worker. There is a warrior that is a strong fighter but cannot build. An engineer that cannot fight but is a fast builder and miner. And a 3rd, the scout, a fast moving unit that can build at half speed.

So far it has been updating pretty regularly. And I hope the game continues to grow.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
09-01-2014 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

RE: Isomer - Crash landed alien crew mining and building for survival
This game looks like loads of fun. It seems that often times, emphasis in gaming has been graphics and pushing the limits of how digital environments resemble reality. This reminds me of something I could have played on some of my older P4 systems, but still looks like it could suck up hours of my time. It would be nice if they had free access to some of the alpha like Dwelvers still has. I would really like to give this game a try.
09-01-2014 04:55 PM
DwarvesAtWork Offline
Dungeon Lord

I looooooooooooove the indie game movement for that exact reason. People are able to craft games out of passion, instead of a desire for profits.

As it is now, the game is secured with a license key. It has a very simple launcher that checks for updates and provides a menu for changing graphics settings before game launch. I'm unaware of any demo. But I'd say it's worth $10. That's about what you'd spend on a burger and fries at a sit down restaurant. Tongue
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
09-01-2014 05:27 PM
Mello Tonin Offline
Guru O' Mello

Oh yeah, $10 isn't much for a game, but you can totally nickel and dime yourself to death if you scoop up every tempting nugget out there in the Indie Game world. With all the projects I'm involved in at the moment, I've spread myself a bit thin, but I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this one.
09-01-2014 07:34 PM
DwarvesAtWork Offline
Dungeon Lord

Good point. My problem is I have a weakness for gog.com and steam sales. My list of purchased-but-yet-to-be-played games is unrealistically long.
09-01-2014 07:48 PM