My New Idea Hydraulic Mechanic - Damaged Dungeon Consructs
Damaged Dungeon Consructs

Info
Currently, when a constructed item in the dungeon gets attacked and destroyed by an enemy, it is simply removed from the dungeon. To replace it the user must remember where all constructed objects are, such as doors, pressure pads, etc and manually replace them whenever an enemy destroys any. This creates a lot of micro management to constantly baby sit everything that's destructible ever built in the dungeon.

Appearance
Can use the existing construction icon.

Stats
Highlight: Instead of having a door, pressure pad or any other constructed object in the dungeon simply destroyed when an enemy attacks it, have it go into a state of damaged and in need of repair. For al intents and purposes it would be as if the item was destroyed, except that it would be queued for imps to replace it automatically. It should still require as many resources to repair a damaged construct as building a new one would, the only advantage of this mechanism should be to automate replacement of anything built in the dungeon that an enemy has destroyed by attacking it.
Function: Automate imp replacement of destroyed constructions such as doors, pressure pads, etc. to remove the need to manually monitor and replace these things and remember what was built where.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
For traps and doors I think this makes a lot of sense. Of course the resources that made up these items should be destroyed when the object is unlike when you sell an object which I think is implied. I wonder though, should this also apply to rooms and the objects they contain?
IMO it should apply to anything that could be destroyed by an intruder. Yes it is my intent that the resources are destroyed when the object is, the only advantage gained from this should be in automating the the replacement of anything that got destroyed during an invasion.
The Golden One!
I was just thinking that when we are considering of all the rooms and objects in them too, if you happen to get run over by an opponent, but manage to hold them off while most of everything you had was destroyed, then you may lose fallen comrades who couldn't be placed in a lair in time because the few Imps you have left are focusing on rebuilding.

If we are just talking traps and doors then these items key to defense get recovered first, but if you needed to get a lair rebuilt immediately, a build task would end up taking priority. On the other hand, if everything ended up being repairable after being destroyed, the workflow should follow this order to mitigate that problem: rebuild Lair > Beds > place wounded > Doors > Traps.
That's a very valid point, we would need the rebuild tasks to be properly prioritized against other tasks to make sure those don't dominate the imp's queues and leave other critical tasks undone. Like recovering fallen allies.
The Golden One!
This is very good! Added to the Ideas & Game Features list Smile
YAY! Big Grin

(I'll reserve more dramatic celebrations for when it's been moved to the implemented list) Wink
The Golden One!
Great idea! +1 for you!
Thank you!
The Golden One!
I support this idea. +1

I also agree with Mello. Traps and doors should be higher priority than general furniture. General furniture repair should be lower on the list than most other tasks.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
IMO the priorities should also be adjustable, as has been mentioned in other threads. If, say a general piece of furniture just happens to be the last of your bar room tables and chairs, and your creatures are starving because they have nowhere to eat all that food the imps are making and is making them too busy to repair any of the "general furniture" then we have to have a way of fixing that by making the general furniture higher priority so the problem can be fixes quickly.
The Golden One!
That would go under the ordinary imp prioritise, having imps that works in rooms, imps that works in storage rooms, and explorers/builders and so on.. So it will be adjustable.
What could need to have a "new prioritization" is what furniture would need to be repaired first. This was very simple in DK because of the ability to pick up and drop creatures. But as I have said before, I don't like the player having direct control over individual creatures.
I agree. The player should not be able to pick up creatures.

How about "Player Spell - Piece of Candy" that drops a piece of candy on a tile that attracts an imp? The imp would then pick up the nearest job. Tongue
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
(21-01-2014, 05:20 PM)DwarvesAtWork Wrote: How about "Player Spell - Piece of Candy" that drops a piece of candy on a tile that attracts an imp? The imp would then pick up the nearest job. Tongue

HAHAHA, I just pictured James Woods in Imp form goin around sayin 'Ooh! A piece of candy!'

Maybe a rally flag for Imps would be good versus a spell?
Well I'm glad someone got the reference! Smile