My New Idea Spell Idea - Return Fallen
Return Fallen

Info
This was an idea Rasmus came up with here, and I though it would make a great spell to add to the game. To expand on this, it could be made available either full time or only when the Imp Retreat / Emergency Alarm is active.

Stats
Highlight: This will return fallen warriors to their beds.
Function: This could be an AoE which you would select the area as you would when you lay down a group of room tiles. The larger the area and the amount of creatures recovered will increase the cost of the spell. While it could be used in battle, a long CD time will make you think twice about overusing this.
Additional Effect: Returned creatures will experience a slightly longer recovery time than they would if an Imp returned them since being ripped through space to their beds would add additional trauma from the journey.
Cost: TBD, but should be an expensive spell.
Cooldown Time: 10 minutes
Great work, I like this spell, and spells are the one thing that's gotten almost no attention from the community so far. +1 mellow.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
It was mostly Rasmus' idea, but I expanded it a bit. +1 to Rasman to!
Good idea. He deserves all the +1's we can give him.
The Golden One!
Ohh, thank you all Smile
I will add it to the Ideas & Game Features list!
Then that's another +1 for you, Rasmus
The Golden One!
A powerful spell. A useful spell too, but very powerful. It would need to be controlled by a long cooldown or something similar. If the spell usage is not limited somehow, it could allow for some very aggressive tactics by players with no chance of creature death.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Yup, that is true. There's also a new mechanic in discussion about Evil Points which could be another possible way of controlling how often such a powerful spell could be used.
The Golden One!
Yeah, it is a really powerful spell that almost is a cheat, so I agree with you DwarvesAtWork. A long cooldown may not be the best idea either because it would be very frustrating for the player only being able to return one creature and the rest die because of the cooldown. So maybe we could have some rules, like that the player can't return the creature unless he have fallen on his own territory, or we could have spell levels that allow this, or that creatures can't be returned if enemies are close-by.

Just some suggestions, I'm not very fond of them because I can still see some flaws.. What about some brainstorming Wink
Changing the spell to only work on friendly territory would greatly weaken the spell. As it was written, I was assuming it could be cast anywhere. If it was restricted to friendly territory only, the cost wouldn't need to be anything unusual.

Brainstorming Potential costs for this spell:
Long cooldown.
Common resource with exponential cost increase with each use.
Rare resource with flat increasing cost.
Limited resource consumed on each use. (Requires a prior creature sacrifice)
Puts the rescued creature in a coma state for a few minutes.
Sacrifices an imp on each cast.
Deals damage to the Dark Mother on each cast.
Puts the rescued creature in a weakened state for several minutes.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
(21-01-2014, 05:34 PM)DwarvesAtWork Wrote: Brainstorming Potential costs for this spell:
Sacrifices an imp on each cast.
Deals damage to the Dark Mother on each cast.
Puts the rescued creature in a weakened state for several minutes.

I like these! One of those suggestions in your list was in the spell descriptor but having an Imp get the ax is really fitting. Dark Mother damage as well makes a lot of sense as this would be something that would require a lot of power to cast so she should be involved. Along with the extra rehab time to wake up after being transported, being in a weakened state is fitting too.

Having this only apply to only player territory like Rasmus said also makes a lot of sense. Back in DK when you lost someone you had to wait for Imps to claim territory to not only imprison, but also recover fallen. So I would expect something similar with Dwelvers.

I don't know if we discussed anything regarding having a tiered system where abilities could be added using like a skill tree, but if this is a direction things could go, then this could high up in the hierarchy.
At the moment I'm thinking "Puts the rescued creature in a weakened state for several minutes." because the game isn't evolved enough to handle many of the other suggestions in a clear way.

Hmm, what if.. We had something like a building in the bed room that could be used to "return the fallen", this building need to have certain materials in it that will be used up each time a "transportation" is made, and the cooldown itself is that the imps will need to refill the building with the materials. Hmm or we could have a "spell room", where certain spells needs materials or some kind of work on them so they can be activated. So for each spell the player need to build a building in the "Spell room" that connects to that spell and need certain materials to be used.
That's a good way of integrating spells into the game, for now at least, until you've developed it further along and can implement something better, that allows for more diversity of spell costs.
The Golden One!
Yeah, it was just me brainstorming a little, we will see how it goes when we get there, we still have the evil meter to implement, and that one may open up some options.