Brainstorm Environment Mechanic - Music references
Music references for Dwelvers

This is something I came to think about when reading this post by Sebt http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php...90#pid3890 where he recommended a really evil Dwelvers music.

So the idea here is that we could gather as many references for the kind of musics we would like to see in Dwelvers, right now I will limit the music categories to the game-play music, and have it split up into 5 levels. Later on we could make a vote of what music would be best for the game.

So here we go..

Music Evil Level 1

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ppkLXC20iB8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o2Ovke-wuLc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

Music Evil Level 2

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S6VYxL8nF5o?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GIy1MjuWxGE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/anacAhoYXD4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

Music Evil Level 3

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tL8DKJ1l7BE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

Music Evil Level 4

- No suggestions yet

Music Evil Level 5

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lCdcdc353fo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

Surface

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/98FlMAC9hoc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

Battle

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hPw31AG_Tos?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>&nbsp;

So go ahead and suggest, this will really help me out when talking to our music composer in the future Smile
Hehe, yes, but to choose music for a game such Dwelvers is not an easy task. You need to hear all te sounds around to know what's going behing the wall on, Diablo 1 has very nice music, but it wouldn't fit RTS game. In Dwelvers if music would sounds like I proposed, but with some gaps like you can hear often in music for movies it would not distract too much player if he would focus on sounds, that would built a tension.

2nd lvl - this theme here, from all over this list IMO fits Dwelvers the best:

2nd lvl:

1st lvl:

3rd lvl:

Surface theme:

A big battle theme with powerful enemies:

And this if everything will go for totally insane, crazy and uncontrollable, evil lvl 666!! Of course I'm not serious with this. Big Grin

Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
If you're looking for a composer, a good friend of mine is very interested in this game. He is on year 5 of 6 of his masters degree in music composition. I know he has been looking for film scoring or video game work.
Indie Games to check out:
Dwelvers - Dungeon Management game with 3D digging and economic focus
War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper 2 spiritual successor
Dwarf Fortress - the ultimate dwarven simulation engine
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Now this is a topic I bet is gonna get a lot of attention. I don't have any samples to suggest at the moment, but I totally agree with Sebt, this ain't gonna be easy. One thing I would hope is that we try to stay away from overly electronic sounding music. I don't think that kind of music fits the game at all as it is more of a low tech environment. Also, when considering high tempo music, while this is great when you come into an instance of conflict, it can make the game seem sluggish if it is environmental music.

I would really like to see some orchestral music perhaps from an epic opera that would really tie into the environment. Plus it would be nice to see some of the culture from Rasmus' homeland represented to add some flavor unique to that part of the world. Sweden has some rich history when it comes to this kind of music, and that could be something that sets this game apart from the mainstream. Not to say we should go totally old school, as that could be off putting as well, but maybe some kind of balance between the modern and the old school.
Now to answer the actual topic. My all time favorite RTS music has to be the Zerg tracks from Starcraft 1. That music exemplifies everything about the Zerg. It IS the Zerg. It complimented the game and the mood, but never overpowered it.

EDIT: Here's one of the Zerg tracks I was thinking of. It's a bit too sci-fi for this game. More of an example of a track that really enhances the atmosphere of the game:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/__3eZfU8tjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bad music can make a great game into a mediocre one. I'm thinking of Mass Effect 1. Every time one of the background tracks looped it felt like you were getting hit over the head. The tracks were too short and repetitive and it was very noticable.

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't post any examples. I'll try and find some later.

I totally agree with what Mello said, too.
Isomer - Mine, Build, and Explore as a squad of aliens crash landed on a foreign world
Well guys, it's quite hard for me to imagine about what music exactly you say/think without links to examples, can you provide us some of them? :)

I agree that music should be limited in electronic vibes, but I don't if completely? Have you heard Dungeon Keeper's music, WFTO, Diablo, any of evil game that haven't any electronic sounds? This is also why I said that for game like Dwelvers it's hard to find suitable theme... :S

Mello - Have you seen my first music video above? What do you think? IMO fits perfectly to the evil mood, evil climat, but yes it's good more for a battle, luckily some editing and volume setting to the lower lvl than sounds would create a quite nice background for gameplay. There are some videos that are basing on non electronic music too up there. :)

DaW - we have one guy that made actual music for Dwelvers - Omhri Lahav and we wonder if he would make a music that would fit evil theme more, so that's for what this topic was made.

Well again if it comes to fitting music with a game theme, ambient, climate, gameplay etc:

The perfect theme for elves and orcs:

Perfectly fitted space theme where there is silence everywhere:

Little similar to above, but here you're flying with your small space ship, it's a peaceful journey, back to the home:

And when your in dangerous place, dirty and bad (this actually is when you're heading to a Station-Club:

We can't choosing music that we like, what is traditional, but that will fit your gameplay and game climate perfectly. It doesn't mean what I suggested in my 1st post here is good, it maybe fit with game like Dwelvers in 60-70%. If you can imagine sounds as objects, you can make awesome music. ^^
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
(21-01-2014, 07:17 PM)Sebt Wrote: Mello - Have you seen my first music video above?

Yeah, and while it starts off pretty cool, it drops off in to a dub-step'ish sound and all I could picture in my head was robots fighting. It's gonna be a bit before I can go find some examples of what I think may be cool since I'm at work right now, but I would like to try and find stuff that while dark sounding, makes me feel like I'm underground. Maybe that can be helped by adding a slight echo effect to it, or the occasional drip of water into a shallow puddle in the rock floor...
Where there are Dubstep-ish sounds in this track "Waiting for gods"? There is 0% of electronic music. Well also, please don't look at music as a whole, but it's parts, of course Dubstep is totally wrong to Dwelvers, I agree Big Grin

And I'm totally with environmental sounds, these exactly should fulfil the music and create desirable game ambient, that's why I say the music would need gaps between and that music won't stifle these sounds.
My bad, I was looking at the very first track on the thread, not the first one you posted.
Nice Sebt Smile

I updated the top post so that the videos can fit without taking up the whole screen. Unfortunately the page loading will be a little slow Undecided

@Sebt: If you want the second post with videos added to the list you need to categorize them Wink

@DwarvesAtWork: The problem is that we already have a music composer, and I don't want to get to many mixed up in it. But for future references I will remember it Smile
http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/1..._dwelvers/

Upvote Smile
The second post is only to show what I mean by music that fits certain theme perfectly, is adequate to the ambient. Wink

Upvoted! Smile

Awaiting for some video links here guys. Tongue
(21-01-2014, 07:17 PM)Sebt Wrote: DaW - we have one guy that made actual music for Dwelvers - Omhri Lahav and we wonder if he would make a music that would fit evil theme more, so that's for what this topic was made.

Thanks Sebt. I had to try. Tongue

As far as evil music. I think the music from the first Diablo really captures a dark, scarey underground world.
This one might be neutral to moderately evil.
Diablo - Dungeon:
<iframe width="280" height="160" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wGiSeMFjZ6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The backwards chanting and sound effects really add to the evil feel of this track. I'd place this one a bit higher on the evil scale.
Diablo - Hell
<iframe width="280" height="160" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NBSgxYvKJQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I remember an old Amiga game I used to play on my A500 had some great mood music. I'll post as many of them as I can find (keep in mind that this game was done about 20 - 25 years ago so any electronicy sounds in the music would be partly the limitations of the older sound capabilities of the day):

Compilation of many songs included in the game:

Part of the music played during a battle:

Well, that's all I was able to find, but IMO these do fit the overall mood we're looking for and show an example of what others were talking about with a retro feel too.

EDIT: I found another good idea in the Chaos Strikes Back Into Song

[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Hi everyone, I'm Omri Lahav, the composer for Dwelvers.

Some really great suggestions here, thanks for posting!
I will def. keep them in mind when more music is added to the game Smile

You can check out the current Dwelvers music here:
https://soundcloud.com/omri-lahav/sets/dwelvers-ost

And here are the references I actually used when creating it:

Would love to know what you all think, and thanks again for your input!
- Omri Lahav, quality composer for media.

http://OmriLahav.com
Omri (@) OmriLahav.com