My New Idea Room Ideas - Buildings for Metalworks Room/Workshop
(30-03-2014, 06:40 PM)Rasmus Wrote: Then we have this new plant to make rope of, the rope could be used for bows and all kind of armours, the question is if maybe we could make the rope in the farm room, being able to farm a plant that could work as rope directly?

You could just allow Antroots to produce not just the wheat-like component, but also when harvested you would get the stalk which would then be used to make rope just like what is done with Hemp. Having a general 'Workshop Room' could be one option, and then depending on what workbenches you place would determine its functionality. To make Rope, the 'Workshop Room' would have device like this to facilitate the manufacture:

[Image: als_rope_maker3.bmp]
Antroots? Yeah, that could be a good idea, they are twisted, and the possibility to untwist them to make ropes could work nicely Smile
Hmm, maybe a 3d representation of that workbench you presented should be enough, the imp goes with the antroot to one side of the workbench, attach it to one of the the hooks, start untwisting it and leaving a yellow line behind him until he reaches the other side of the workbench and attach it there. The imp would have to do this three times, and when he is finished he could just spin the wheel and twist the lines together. When done he just pick the twisted line up from the workbench and the rope item should be complete.

A really good idea Mello Smile +2 for you!
Thank you sir! When considering traditional rope making, the stalk is split open to get access to the fibers lining the inside of the stalk. Once the fibers are removed, they take a dip in the water if they are too dry before spinning them into rope.
That is what I love about creating games, I have to learn rope-making before I can actually implement ropes in the game Wink
That reminds me when I was making the Planet explorer game, I had to study up on geology to make it look somewhat accurate Tongue
Yeah, who says games can't be educational? LOL
Quote:Tailor workbench:
- The next step for armour is leather, this would require leather and rope.
This would also be a great place for making cloth armor as well, such as a priest's or wizard's robes. Cloth could be woven by a weaver station in the farm room using the fibers from the stalks just like the rope making does, but using a weaving loom like this:
[Image: plaid-loom.png]
instead. to make bolts of cloth that the tailor would use to make the cloth armor out of.

As for leather, that could require tanning the skins first at a tannery farm building to produce the leather.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Absolutely SU, and this is why I was thinking that this room could be a general room like the 'Cookery Room' where the objects placed in it determines it's function. So I could have a separate Brewery and Miller, or put them both in the same room.
So the blacksmith (or what we will call the room now Wink) will have:
- Rope maker.
- Tailor workbench.
- Blacksmith's Forge and anvil.
- Iron smelter.
- Wooden workbench.

These buildings should be able to make most of the weapons and armours. Am I missing something?
The weavering looms and tanning vats. Wink
The Golden One!
I would assume the loom could be incorporated in the general tailor workbench since a tailor would be using the loom for about 90% of the work done and would only need a small space for a sewing station. So if those two were incorporated into one piece of equipment that should cover it.

Yeah I was thinking tannery then I scrolled and saw SU was thinking the same thing. Perhaps instead of just a vat, the tanning station would have a rack like this with the vats next to it since the vats are really just for soaking and the rack is where most of the work happens (cutting the remaining fat and sanding the skin):

[Image: Concept.jpg]
I agree with you Mello, I don't want too small steps in the process, combining them is a good idea Smile
I really like the concept art you provided. It is simple and would work very well in the game!
Mellow Tonin Wrote:I would assume the loom could be incorporated in the general tailor workbench since a tailor would be using the loom for about 90% of the work done and would only need a small space for a sewing station. So if those two were incorporated into one piece of equipment that should cover it.

Although Taylors/Seamstresses usually didn't weave their own cloth, that was typically done by a weaver, this could be done for simplifying a game. Still, having a weaver make cloth and a tanner make leather would be interesting additions to a production chain, which I remember Rasmus saying he wanted incorporated into Dwelvers, IE Dungeon Keeper theme with Settlers resource management and productions chains.
The Golden One!
But to start with, we could maybe get the leather from the butcher by default. Then once we got the leather I don't think it is necessary to have a weaver to make the leather clothes. Any kind of work bench would actually do as it is mostly about cutting it, punching holes into it and attach with ropes. This also makes it easier when it comes to making the iron armour that will need leather to be produced as well as we can just give the "Blacksmith's Forge and anvil" leather, iron ingots and ropes to get started.

So I am thinking about going back to the work bench, maybe just name it workbench and have several uses for it? Like working with wood, and working with leather..

It is not that I am trying to get away from making extra buildings, I just think it is easier for the player if we simplify it as much as possible, there will be a lot of other buildings in there in the future.

This would mean that we will only need:
- Rope maker
- Workbench
- Iron smelter.
I think it would be nice to come back to this a lil bit down the road once we see it in action. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be that much harder needing to know if I'm gonna make a tunic, I need to build a Loom, or I need to make some leather armor, well I need to have a Tanner's Rack. Having all that in one bench does save space, but in my opinion it would be really silly to have different types of crafters all going to the same bench, swing a hammer a few times (as is the custom for many games) and VOILA, we have an item.
Rasmus Wrote:This would mean that we will only need:
- Rope maker
- Workbench
- Iron smelter.
If you go that route, you would still need the weaver's loom to make the cloth and the tannery to convert the raw skins into leather. I suppose uncured hides could be worked with but that would have to be used to quickly make an inferior product as raw hides are weaker (and smellier) then they are after being tanned properly.

Also, weavers don't make leather, tanners do. Leather is not woven, it's tanned from raw animal skins. Cloth is woven, from some sort of fibers, such as animal hair or plant fibers, to make a sheet (bolt) of cloth, which is then cut and sewn by either a tailor or seamstress into some sort of cloth garment. Leather could be either cut and tied with ropes into shape or cut sewn into shape by a tailor.
The Golden One!