My New Idea Construction Idea - Guard Station
Guard Station or Guard Post

Info
Could be given either the name "Guard Station" or "Guard Post".

This is a designated tile or group of tiles where a warrior type creature will be assigned to, to guard an important area. This will ensure that no part of your dungeon ever goes totally unguarded if at all possible. If you have a key room (such as the Dark Mother room) that you want kept under guard by a warrior at all times build one of these at the entrance.

When a Guard Post is unmanned, it will automatically send out a task to the queue (man guard post) for all warrior creatures and one will thus be assigned to that guard post. When that creature's stats indicate that it needs a break, such as because it's getting hungry or sleepy, a new man guard post task would be sent to the warrior queue for a replacement to come and relieve the guard. If no one arrives and the need that triggered the relive guard task is still unanswered, then the guard assigned to this tile will wander off and the guard post will be left unmanned until a warrior responds to the man guard post task.

Appearance
I'm open to suggestions here.

Stats
Highlight: Enables key locations in dungeon to be kept under guard by a warrior.
Function: Causes a warrior to stand here "on guard". He will not leave this place unless he spots an enemy, in which case he will attack, but will have to stay within a certain radius of his guard post while "on guard", thus if an enemy is out of range he will return to his guard post. If any need falls below a certain point a new guard will be queued to relieve him, but if one does not arrive in time, he will abandon his post to take care of his needs.
Acquired By: Any.
Cost: No cost.
Place: Claimed dungeon tiles
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Very good! This would help a lot and is easy to implement Smile +1
I think this would do well as a room tile. You would be able to clearly see where the guard room is this way. It should also come with a construct which you could use to see what units are available to post here, and then have a clickable icon, let's say a shield, that is grey when disabled, X'd out if unit is assigned to another task, or in color when you have them assigned there. This could be something like a bulletin board you place against the wall so that it doesn't take away from the space available for units, and would be suitable for a roster to be displayed.
Haha, this is something that I needed in DK, however guard posts in DK had quite big capacity.

Added to Ideas & Game Features list. Wink
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I like this idea a lot. My dream for this, is that the guard room is like a farm room where you lay down a patch and then build one of two different buildings on it: a sentry post or a rally group base. A sentry post acts just like your original description: it gets any freely available orc to man the post until he is tired or hungry. The rally group base building would give you an additional rally flag and guards from that same room that are working at the sentry posts will rally to that special rally flag. Longer term would be to create patrols between the sentry posts or a new sub-building like a farm gate.
I like that idea, of being able to set up a base. A good name for it could be a Barracks, which could function as a combination of bedroom, and guard room where a squad of guards could be assigned to it and would sleep there instead of from some random bed somewhere. It could function as an upgrade to the basic guard post where sentries are assigned via a task in the queue. Instead the sentries would be assigned from the pool of guards assigned to the barracks attached to that guard post. This could ensure that there is a steady supply of rested and fed guards available and not too far off to keep the guard posts manned, and yes, if creatures are needed somewhere, that barracks could have its own rally flag that would rally all of the creatures assigned to that barracks to it's rally flag, except maybe for the one's on guard duty, who would have to stay at their post.

Yes, this idea would combine well with my assign squads idea.
The Golden One!
Well, I do like the idea that the guards have to get food and sleep, it makes it harder for the player to 100% control the guard station/room/barracks.
Yea, was annoying in DK 1 where you have some creatures to stay on post and that usually stay far away from hatchery or treasure room, so when you don't have many creatures on the post when attacked this could end not very well for you. Good idea, point to you. Smile

Another annoying thing is an AI - if you have more than 1 guard posts creatures take the closest one to their actual position after taking payment or being in hatchery. If would be nice to have something that creatures remember where they work and back from different actions (even battle) to exact room where they've been, but I think Rasmus is going to do that. :p
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
Another idea would be to have guard posts be connectable to a barracks room, which functions as a combo bedroom and bar room and can have a squad of fighting creatures assigned to it, of up to a maximum size that the barracks can support, in a similar way as rooms being connected to a storeroom. So one barracks could support multiple guard posts but each guard post could be supplied guards by only one barracks. Barracks would, of course, need to be connected to a store and probably would need to be supplied food and beer by an imp assigned to the store if this idea were expanded in this way.
The Golden One!
...or you could have it connected to a Store Room/Bakery/Brewer and have Imps deliver food/beer to it. Then have a cap on how many units of each could go there, so maybe 50 units of Beer, and 50 units of Food? Being able to have them rest there also makes a lot of sense.
(14-02-2014, 01:02 AM)Sebt Wrote: Another annoying thing is an AI - if you have more than 1 guard posts creatures take the closest one to their actual position after taking payment or being in hatchery. If would be nice to have something that creatures remember where they work and back from different actions (even battle) to exact room where they've been, but I think Rasmus is going to do that. :p

That is my plan, that the player will be able to assign creatures to the guard rooms. They will still leave the guard room when going to bed or eating. But that is all part of the fun Wink

(14-02-2014, 01:07 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: Another idea would be to have guard posts be connectable to a barracks room, which functions as a combo bedroom and bar room and can have a squad of fighting creatures assigned to it, of up to a maximum size that the barracks can support, in a similar way as rooms being connected to a storeroom. So one barracks could support multiple guard posts but each guard post could be supplied guards by only one barracks. Barracks would, of course, need to be connected to a store and probably would need to be supplied food and beer by an imp assigned to the store if this idea were expanded in this way.

I am not that fond of having multiple rooms where the creatures can sleep and eat. I think it is up to the player to make a bed room or a bar room close to the guard rooms to make it as efficient as possible.

(17-02-2014, 08:37 PM)Mello Tonin Wrote: ...or you could have it connected to a Store Room/Bakery/Brewer and have Imps deliver food/beer to it. Then have a cap on how many units of each could go there, so maybe 50 units of Beer, and 50 units of Food? Being able to have them rest there also makes a lot of sense.

Having food delivered to the guard room is something that I would prefer then Smile
We could always rename the bedroom to Barracks then, that has a more military sound to it anyways, and my understanding is that we're supposed to be a very militaristic society in Dwelvers.
The Golden One!
That is an interesting thought. But what about the imps, they need sleep as well, and they shouldn't be associated with direct danger.
The sleeping arrangements for any pure worker creatures could be a bunk-room or something like that, which would then differentiate between workers and fighters. ATM that can be handled manually by having a bedroom near a dangerous area have only orc beds but having separate sleeping rooms for fighters and workers would accomplish this more effectively. Then the military sleeping rooms could be linkable with guard posts in a similar way as stores are linkable with production-consumption rooms. In other words, each Guard Post could only be linked to one barracks but each barracks could be linked with many Guard Posts. The limit each barracks could support would be however many Guard Posts it has enough fighters to keep all guard posts effectively supplied with fighters.
The Golden One!
I think whichever way this goes you would still need to have a fully functional lair as not all Orcs (for example) may be assigned to a barracks.