My New Idea Creature Idea - Ratman
Ratman

Info
Ratmen were formed by an evil wizard centuries ago who experimented with different combinations of creatures. He wanted a supply of cheap, expendable troops for an army he was raising and so experimented with combining humans with rats. What he was looking for was combining the intelligence and weapons abilities of a human, combined with the animal instincts, senses (such as smell and hearing) of a rat and a rat's ability to breed quickly. By the end of his experiments he'd gotten what he wanted in the Ratman. They bred quickly, were trainable as both soldiers for his army and also as laborers too. However, in large numbers they also tended to get unruly and hard to control, and this ended up leading to the wizard's downfall as his armies were as often prone to fighting amongst themselves as fighting their enemies.

Appearance
They look like a rat that has hand-like forepaws and walk upright like a human. They are also capable of speech, but are high-pitched to the point of sounding shrill to a human:

[Image: ratman_by_monorok-d5c8d5j.jpg]
Pic. 1: One possible implementation of a Ratman, operating as a soldier

[Image: ratling_mage_by_cloister-d68vkxb.jpg]
Pic. 2: Here is how a Ratman being used as a mage could look.

Stats
Highlight: Common shock troops and/or neutral-aligned enemies.
Acquired By: Evil or Neutral.
Cost: TBD later. (Rats? - as suggested by Rasmus) - Option: Could be aquired by capturing at least 1 human creature and at least 1 Giant Mole Rat and using a spell caster (either wizard or preist) and conducting experiments on both creatures and after a certain time the ability to create Ratmen via the Dark Mother would be unlocked, while the human and Giant Mole Rat would both be killed by the experiments.
Cost of creating each individual Ratman from the Dark Mother still TBD later when this system has been decided on.
Attack Form: Attack form by weapons equipped.
Weapon: (if warrior) Bow/Dagger/Sword (if mage) Staff/Wand
Armor: (if warrior) Leather (if mage) Cloak/Robe
Attack Power: Above Low.
Defense: Above Low.
Health Points: Moderate.
Attack Speed: Below High.
Movement Speed: Below High.
Resistances: Poison (50% less likely to be poisoned), Disease (25% less likely to become diseased)
Job: Worker, warrior or mage, plus gather loose items (thanks mellow).
Entertainment: Breeding, Acquiring items.

Passive Abilities:
(P1) Acute Sense of Smell - Can smell objects up to 2 tiles before they can see them (35% chance of smelling an enemy before seeing it).
(P2) Poor Sight - They don't see as well as other creatures (-1 tile sight radius)
(P3) Good Hearing - They can hear faint noises others would miss up to 3 tiles beyond their sight radius ( 25% chance) (unless in a very noisy area, in which case local noises would drown out other noises)

Active Abilities (Ratman Mage only):
(A0) (All Ratmen) Bite - Bites an enemy as a melee attack, effects 1 target, which must be in melee range. Damage done as per Ratman damage rating. Additional effect: 15% chance of inflicting a disease on target, charge and cool down time as per attack speed. Creature is more vulnerable to melee attack while biting (25% lower defense)
(A1) Acid Blob - Sends a blob of acid at enemies, Effects target dealing up to 15 HP damage, Enemies in 1 tile radius get up to 10 HP damage from splashing acid) up to a distance of 6 tiles, may corrode armor (25%chance, -1 defense) Takes 2 seconds to cast, needs 5 seconds to recharge.
(A2) Poison Cloud - Creates a cloud of poisonous gas in a target area, Does up to 5HP per second to all creatures in cloud, cloud is 3 tiles by 3 tiles, can be cast up to 5 tiles away, green cloud, 5% chance per second spent in cloud of getting poisoned, takes 3 seconds to cast, requires 7 seconds to recharge.
(A3) Stoneskin - Hardens 1 target, making it more resistant to taking damage, 1 target, Target must be within 3 tiles of the caster, target's skin greyed while spell in effect, effect lasts for 30 seconds, takes 2 seconds to cast, requires 20 seconds to recharge.
(A4) Antivenom - Cures 1 target of poison and disease, range is 4 tiles, takes 10 seconds to cast, requires 60 seconds to recharge.
(A5) Acid Bomb - Explodes acid on target area, Does 40-80 HP damage to the main target, does 25-50 HP damage to creatures in adjacent tile, and 10-20 HP damage to creatures 2 tiles away from target, may corrode armor (50% chance for target, -5 defense) (35%chance at 1 tile away from target, -3 defense) (10%chance at 2 tiles away, -1 defense) takes 5 seconds to cast, requires 90 seconds to recharge.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Rasmus I want this in game! Big Grin

My favourite rat form of creature was always Nezumi Ronin - a Rat Samurai:
[Image: 1298911733-34332300.jpg]

but Ratmen looks really awesome.

I have some questions: Tongue
If P2 reduces sight radius what gives P1 and P3 then?
Ratman warrior has only A0 from active abilities, right?
Stats seems to be the same for both, so warrior will be the same as nagrać, but differences will be only in active abilities? Mage has more active abilities than warrior and has all warrior's abilities, warrior then seems to be worse and it's not worth of making, unless you thought that Equipment will rais warrior's power much more, so then it'll be worth of setting him in your army?

I wonder about role of ordinary rats, they usually devastates Storage Room, what about give him passive abillity to destroy enemy's Storage Room Buildings or even eat enemy's food stored there? Smile

Added to Ideas & Game Features list. Wink
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
because P1 and P3 have a chance to fail (ie the Ratman doesn't notice the smell of an approaching Impanzee or some other odor hides the Impanzee, like maybe that unwashed stinking Peggeh over there?)

-oops, noticed an error in P3's chance of success, had to edit the OP to fix it.

Sebt Wrote:Ratman warrior has only A0 from active abilities, right?
That's right. To be able to cast the spells (A 1 through A5) the Ratman would have to be a mage.

Sebt Wrote:Stats seems to be the same for both, so warrior will be the same as nagrać, but differences will be only in active abilities? Mage has more active abilities than warrior and has all warrior's abilities, warrior then seems to be worse and it's not worth of making, unless you thought that Equipment will rais warrior's power much more, so then it'll be worth of setting him in your army?
That's the idea, the Warrior can use more weapons and armor, the Spellcaster can only use wands, staffs and no armor, If you look in the equipment section I differentiate between the standard equipment of mages and warriors (warriors use weapons and armor, mages don't)

Sebt Wrote:I wonder about role of ordinary rats, they usually devastates Storage Room, what about give him passive abillity to destroy enemy's Storage Room Buildings or even eat enemy's food stored there?

That's a great possibility, if you have food in a store, there's a chance it will attract rats who will spoil it. The more food you have in stores the more chance there will be of it attracting rats, which would also need some way of countering them too, some creature that hunts and eats the rats perhaps, or a rat trap room building that can be added to stores to reduce the risk of a rat infestation. Farms could also be vulnerable to rats, ruining a farm's crops. Again, rat traps and/or a creature that hunts rats would be the solutions to this, perhaps the first occurrence of a rat infestation unlocks one of these and the other can then be researched.
The Golden One!
No one else that came to think of the rat ninja master Splinter in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wink

Yeah, I like this creature a lot as well! A couple of months ago we were close to implement rats in the dungeon, and that they will get drawn to locations in the dungeon where not so many creatures are. Another idea we had there was for the player to set out rat traps, like cages or something. Now lets say that we capture a rat, he could be used as a item. This item could be used as food, or in potions, or as a material for the Dark Mother to create the ratmen Smile
Rasmus Wrote:Now lets say that we capture a rat, he could be used as a item. This item could be used as food, or in potions, or as a material for the Dark Mother to create the ratmen
I like it! Although I guess to keep things Sebt-proof we'd have to post a new item suggestion for the rats, and additional suggestions in separate threads for the rat items, rat trap constructs and rat creatures. Smile Tongue
The Golden One!
Oh, I'm afraid you can't just simply be Sebt-proof hahaha, but yes posting a new thread about rats in separate idea will keep everything organized and it will be much easier to find your idea, also you could be sure any of your ideas won't be missed. Tongue

Also this: That's the idea, the Warrior can use more weapons and armor, the Spellcaster can only use wands, staffs and no armor, If you look in the equipment section I differentiate between the standard equipment of mages and warriors (warriors use weapons and armor, mages don't).
Is an additional way to balance creature's stats and make crafting equipment items
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I like ratmen. Would they be considered a fantasy race, like orcs, or imps? If so they could fill some role as a unit which could be produced, and have clothing and such. If we don't lump them in with fantasy races, they'd have to be natural Dwelvers, and maybe have some sort of morph to make them more unique (think cyclotaur.)

As a side note, I wonder if there is any place for alternative hostile cultures on the overworld. We've established that there are humans in the overworld, but that's about the extent so far. Samurai/ninja rat village would be fun Big Grin I'm a total TMNT fan.
Samurai Rats are dope! Please do that!

As far as the dungeon Ratmen, maybe these could also be leveraged to pickup items and deliver to the storage room? It fits what rats do, and could lighten the load on Imps.
That all depends on if we want the ratman as neutral creature (Meaning a morph), or as a minion (Just pure ratman).
One thing I like about having the Ratman as a minion is that he could be created by feeding the Dark Mother rats, then he would be one of the low level creatures.
Maybe Samurai Rats for the sequel then? A group of Ratmen who fled dungeon life for spiritual enlightenment and formed a clan of enlightened ratmen who some have become Samurai to protect the villagers from all outsiders.

I really would prefer this unit in the dungeon tho, especially if it can do some gathering tasks.
I agree, gathering would be a logical activity for ratmen to do when not fighting. I'll update the OP to add this.
The Golden One!
Updated OP with new data on how Ratmen are unlocked. Still need to work out the cost for acquiring each individual once they are unlocked, that will be effected by what the devs decide to do about creature creation.
The Golden One!
For ideas on how the Ratman could be created please refer to the Game Mechanic - Creature "Genetic" Combination thread. Seriously and I have been throwing out ideas about this and definitely need help expanding on it.
[Image: i563hs.png]
No Money, No Poverty, No Crime, No Politicians, No Corruption, No Social Stratification, Strength Based Education, Global Democracy, and True Equality.
A New Social Paradigm: Only Impossible Because of Your Attitude; Only Possible with Your Aspiration Towards a Better World.
You can't spell Humanity without Unity.