Brainstorm Creature Mechanic - Creature production - Ideas needed!
BAZINGA
Code:
[insert witty text here]
Hehe deserved that one Wink

Ameena, Sebt, BuringPet and I had a long meeting again yesterday about this on Skype, I thought it would take about half an hour to discuss, but no, it took three hours Tongue

So this is what we came up with
---------------------------------
- My idea is way to linear, as the player will strive towards just getting the best creatures and scrap the old once.
- We want the player to go out and explore the map for capturing creatures.
- Issues with missing creatures could be solved by a merchant (we called him Bob), Bob will appear at random, and when he does the player have the chance to buy some of the missing creatures from him.
- We feed new creatures to the Dark Mother, and she will learn how to make those creatures. Meaning that all creatures controlled by the player will also be neutral creatures roaming the dungeon.
- We spend points to create creatures and unlock new rooms and other stuff, this could be the EP.
- We use resources to build rooms and equip creatures and keep them happy.

So, the idea here is that we don't use the production chain for the actual creation of creatures, we use it to create armours and weapons and such to make the creatures stronger. Also the resources is also there to keep the creatures happy, the player need to think twice before creating certain creature types because if the dungeon can't support the creature he will turn against the player.

We are keeping the egg idea, eggs get spewed out of the Dark Mother, then we will have to see if we want the eggs to hatch directly, or if the eggs will have some waiting period before they hatch.
I like the idea of a waiting period for the eggs to hatch. We would need a nursery room for this to work best though, but that should be doable. To conserve space I'd rather have it that more then 1 egg can fit per tile in the nursery. When the eggs hatch, we can also have the monster go through a "juvenile" period where it's a smaller version of whatever it's going to be, but can't take any action in the dungeon yet and is helpless until it "grows up." I'd still rather have a list of a few very basic creatures that are created in a simple way as they are now, such as imps and, well, maybe not orcs, but one of the suggested new creatures like goblins or something, as the basic warrior creature that can also help out a bit with the mining. Creating them could then rely on more commonly available resources to create then, say, gold as orcs rely on now.

Relying on gold to create your most basic of warrior creatures has the potential to create some unwinnable maps, especially if the dark mother is surrounded by a large cavern full of hostile mobs and the nearest gold deposits just happen to be inside that cavern. That can create a classic catch-22, you need to break into that cavern to get at the gold to make more orcs to you can break into that cavern to get at the gold.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(31-01-2014, 09:14 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: I like the idea of a waiting period for the eggs to hatch. We would need a nursery room for this to work best though, but that should be doable. To conserve space I'd rather have it that more then 1 egg can fit per tile in the nursery. When the eggs hatch, we can also have the monster go through a "juvenile" period where it's a smaller version of whatever it's going to be, but can't take any action in the dungeon yet and is helpless until it "grows up." I'd still rather have a list of a few very basic creatures that are created in a simple way as they are now, such as imps and, well, maybe not orcs, but one of the suggested new creatures like goblins or something, as the basic warrior creature that can also help out a bit with the mining. Creating them could then rely on more commonly available resources to create then, say, gold as orcs rely on now.

Relying on gold to create your most basic of warrior creatures has the potential to create some unwinnable maps, especially if the dark mother is surrounded by a large cavern full of hostile mobs and the nearest gold deposits just happen to be inside that cavern. That can create a classic catch-22, you need to break into that cavern to get at the gold to make more orcs to you can break into that cavern to get at the gold.

Yeah, a hatchery would be nice. Maybe we could have that in the Dark Mother room somehow.. We will probably make some changes to the Dark Mother as well soon that would support this idea.

We will not rely on gold to create creatures, but on EP. The merchant character could be paid in gold or other items, but he will be very unreliable, he would appear on random, and only sell certain creature types, and then the player would have to prepared to pay him before he disappears again. I know I have been against having a merchant in the game, but in this case the player can't rely on him, only be prepared for him.

The problem have been that as soon as we use materials that aren't unlimited in the game to create creatures, it will cause a problem for the player. So capturing and feeding creatures to the dark mother will work as a unlocking system. The EP is a renewable resource that which generation speed can depend on buildings and player actions in the dungeon. We can for example capture and torture enemies, that would definitely add to the EP Tongue
I like the new ideas That was three hours well spent. No Bazinga needed.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
and I'd bazinga you if you tried to bazinga Rasmus again! [Image: action-smiley-047.gif] Tongue
The Golden One!
I got bazingad a lot yesterday on the chat, that is why it took three hours Tongue
Well, there were a lot of good ideas, but there was always some issues, especially when it came to including non-renewable resources such as enemies and gold and so forth. I think this solution is the best, as we already have the EP system figured out, and we got the player to feed the dark mother with creatures (which was important to reflect the evilness in the game). The only thing that still is a little blurry is Bob the merchant, but we will come to him eventually Smile
Rasmus Wrote:Bob the merchant
I'd like to see him with a more Nordic of Celtic sounding name. Just to make him seem more exotic then just some local guy.

EDIT: I just remembered an earlier suggestion that could also solve the issues of finite resources: Remember the Carravans Suggestion?

Many of them would come from off map, bringing resources in that could either be traded for or raided for. (Trading if you don't want to upset the locals just yet and bring the wrath of the local leaders and heros down on your head, raiding when you're string enough or the caravan's small enough you don't have to care any more, and you're evil and would rather just take things whenever you can).Big Grin
The Golden One!
(01-02-2014, 12:58 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:
Rasmus Wrote:Bob the merchant
I'd like to see him with a more Nordic of Celtic sounding name. Just to make him seem more exotic then just some local guy.

You now what sounds really Nordic? Rick .. now that is Nordic and manly name! Guys named Rick are always real cool and very manly. They also make great merchants.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
I know no-one named Rick and I live in Scandinavia (If you were meaning in my direction when you say Nordic). Maybe Rickard, or hmm.. Sven?
How about Rurik?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik

Of course, I miss by buddy from Sweden, Daniel Almquist. He was an exchange student from Sweden to little Ol' Fort Scott, Kansas. I haven't seen or talked ot him in a couple decades. Never could find him; way too many Almquist's in Stckholm.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
Hmm, it seems with all this talk about names my Carravans Suggestion is flying under the radar...

Yeah, Rurik sounds more Scandinavian.

Other names could be Lars, Leif, Mats, Hendrick, or some ideas for Celtic names could be Annan, Bryce or Sayre
The Golden One!
Ryk is sounds relly celtic to me.

Also, speaking of Ryk, I think the capital of Iceland means City of Rick .. or Rick's Bay.. just saying.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
The capital of Iceland is Reykjavik. I ran parts of the name through Google translate but nothing really stuck out at me as being anything like that...
The Golden One!
I think the discussion of three hours was worth it! This seems like a great way to solve a lot of "issues" regarding unlocking and EP. Can't wait to see this implemented!!
An Hatchery would be awesome! Will there be a giant chicken brooding the eggs?Tongue
And the name Rurik sounds good to me.