My New Idea I & S - Custom/Challenge Maps
Custom / Challenge Maps

Info
Give the players the option of customizing the map. Also, create some challenge style maps. These maps could be static or dynamic .. maybe both.

Stats
Highlight: Add an option in the menu to customize a map.
Function: The map customization option could have two tabs. Challenge Maps and Custom Map.

Custom Map would allow the player to set many of the parameters for the map:
Custom Maps
I imagine a new menu option which opens another screen. The screen has sliders to adjust most of the game variables. I am guessing this will be way to much info for one screen. There could be tabs dividing the logical areas. Also, each tab could be developed independently instead of all options all at once.
  • Starting Resources
    • Seed
      • Everyone loves to share Awesome seeds
      • Everyone loves to share Terrible seeds
    • Number of Imps, Orcs, etc. to start with.
    • Number of starting resources e.g. Antroot, beer, coal, wood, etc.
    • If the game develops along the lines of creatures needing rooms, the kind of and size of starting rooms .. just a thought.
  • Difficulty
    • Your Dark Mother's health modifier - I am saying modifier to allow Rasmus to simply put a variable into his current equations .. easy peasy.
    • Your creatures' health modifier
    • Good Guys health modifier
    • Neutral guys health modifier
    • Number of portals
  • Depth of Ground
    • Just an idea to add a simple level of difficulty - bedrock at level 3 anyone?
  • Resource variety and amounts
    • Each resource could be limited.
      • How about a map with ...
        • No Iron
        • No Gold
        • Etc.
      • How about a map where Stone or Dirt was replaced with:
        • Wood
        • Gold
        • Iron
  • Neutral mobs - want more or less impanzees coming at you?
    • None
    • Normal
    • Extra
  • Portal Density - want more or less good guys coming at you?
    • None
    • Normal
    • Extra

I was thinking of sliders with six settings: 0 through 5. Zero being remove this game item and three being normal mode (obviously the Dark Mother couldn't have zero health or be removed). Two and four can be 1/2 and double modifiers. One and five could be 1/4 and quadruple modifiers. This will work for Health modifier, resource map spawning (wood, iron, gold) and for creature cost/availability. For good or neutral mobs the setting would adjust the 'cost' the game puts on these creatures. At a setting of 2, the game will spawn twice the amount of knights through the portals because the 'cost' is halved. Also, the same setting of 2 for the player on Orcs would cut the cost of Orcs in half .. thereby doubling the amount the player could make.

The idea can get tons more fleshed out. I just wanted to lay a concept. Like this 'fleshed out' idea: The Customer map screen will be greyed out and only one option is available: Game difficulty:
  • Sandbox
    • No Good Creatures spawn
    • Neutral Creatures set to 1/4x health
    • Player creatures health at 4x and cost at 1/4x
    • Resources modifier set to 4x
  • Easy
    • Good Creatures set to 1/2x health and 2x cost
    • Neutral Creatures at full health and normal cost
    • Player creatures health at 2x and cost at 1/2x
    • Resources modifier set to 2x
    Normal
    • Current setting - all modifiers set to 1x - sliders at 3
  • Hard
    • Good Creatures set to 2x health and 1/2 cost
    • Neutral Creatures at 2x health and 1/2 cost
    • Player creatures health at 1x and cost at 2x
    • Resources modifier set to 1x
  • You Die - The settings here may be impossible. Doubling the resources may give players a fighting chance.
    • Good Creatures set to 4x health and 1/4 cost
    • Neutral Creatures at 4x health and 1/4 cost
    • Player creatures health at 1/2x and cost at 2x
    • Resources modifier set to 1/2x

Challenge Maps could be setup by the devs (or their special friends .. have I told you how nice you look in that shirt Rasmus???) and included with the game. The challenge maps might contain options that could break a game if the user was allowed to adjust that setting. Like having 100 knight portals, or no dirt at all on level 1 (with the player having extra stone to build some walls). These maps would be included with the game or could be an additional download (free or at cost). Another menu screen could be track of your accomplishments ... speaking of accomplishments, there's another Game Mechanic posting.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
Hmm, I think custom game mode will offer a countless number of options to set a yea these are quite nice examples, especially Depth. Could you elaborate each of these options in your post? Just to know better what does each of the option mean. Smile

Added to Ideas & Game Features list.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I like the idea a lot! As the map currently is random generated I already have those values randomized. Giving the player the option to tweak them before generating the level could be really fun Smile +2 to you Wink
I'll throw in my own +1 too, for such a good idea.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to manually tweak certain parameters on the map. This would also give a way to vary the difficulty level so a new player isn't hit with mobs of impanzees, knights and cyclotaurs sitting right up against the dark mother in the first game. In fact, another parameter that could be set is amount of water, and distance to nearest cavern, so a new player could set this number higher, so that the large caverns could be moved further away to give some building room to get used to the controls and such, while a veteran looking for a challenge could get the hostiles to really close in on the dark mother, giving little space free of threats to build in.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(30-01-2014, 06:10 PM)Sebt Wrote: Coukd you could elaborate each of ghee options in your post? Just to know better what does each of the option mean. Smile

Sure enough, it was late and I was on my way to bed .. but had to post.

Custom Maps
I imagine a new menu option which opens another screen. The screen has sliders to adjust most of the game variables. I am guessing this will be way to much info for one screen. There could be tabs dividing the logical areas. Also, each tab could be developed independently instead of all options all at once.
  • Starting Resources
    • Seed
      • Everyone loves to share Awesome seeds
      • Everyone loves to share Terrible seeds
    • Number of Imps, Orcs, etc. to start with.
    • Number of starting resources e.g. Antroot, beer, coal, wood, etc.
    • If the game develops along the lines of creatures needing rooms, the kind of and size of starting rooms .. just a thought.
  • Difficulty
    • Your Dark Mother's health modifier - I am saying modifier to allow Rasmus to simply put a variable into his current equations .. easy peasy.
    • Your creatures' health modifier
    • Good Guys health modifier
    • Neutral guys health modifier
    • Number of portals
  • Depth of Ground
    • Just an idea to add a simple level of difficulty - bedrock at level 3 anyone?
  • Resource variety and amounts
    • Each resource could be limited.
      • How about a map with ...
        • No Iron
        • No Gold
        • Etc.
      • How about a map where Stone or Dirt was replaced with:
        • Wood
        • Gold
        • Iron
  • Neutral mobs - want more or less impanzees coming at you?
    • None
    • Normal
    • Extra
  • Portal Density - want more or less good guys coming at you?
    • None
    • Normal
    • Extra

I was thinking of sliders with six settings: 0 through 5. Zero being remove this game item and three being normal mode (obviously the Dark Mother couldn't have zero health or be removed). Two and four can be 1/2 and double. One and five could be 1/4 and quadruple. This will work for Health modifier, resource map spawning (wood, iron, gold) and for creature cost/availability. For good or neutral mobs the setting would adjust the 'cost' the game puts on these creatures. At a setting of 2, the game will spawn twice the amount of knights through the portals because the 'cost' is halved. Also, the same setting of 2 for the player on Orcs would cut the cost of Orcs in half .. thereby doubling the amount the player could make.

The idea can get tons more fleshed out. I just wanted to lay a concept.

The challenge maps might contain options that could break a game if the user was allowed to adjust that setting. Like having 100 knight portals, or no dirt at all on level 1 (with the player having extra stone to build some walls). These maps would be included with the game or could be an additional download (free or at cost). Another menu screen could be track of your accomplishments ... speaking of accomplishments, there's another Game Mechanic posting.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
WOOHOO, +2 for talking about Rasmus' shirt.

Hey buddy, did I mention how nicely those socks bring out the color of your eyes? You really know how to put an ensemble together!

SU, did I mention how nice your golden table was? Man, I have really admired your table preparation abilities .. you roxor!
Code:
[insert witty text here]
You won't get any extra points for sucking-up, RK. Tongue
The Golden One!
Who is sucking up?? I am just a simple country boy in wide-eyed amazement at your 1337-ness!
Code:
[insert witty text here]
Nice, I like that! I encourage to write your list to your first post, so people would know details without the need to scroll down haha. Smile

About "Resource variety and amounts" hmm replacing dirt for any is quite interesting, this could work like as dethmach, but this with no iron could be risky, most of the things need iron to be made, but idea is good, maybe we could limit resources that will give an advantage in game to smash your enemies harder.

Yea, there could be more and more these options, I think we could even save our favourite one or more setting to train with them our skills.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
@RK: +1 directed at your elaboration, but NOT for your sucking-up, all that did was just delay the +1 another day! Tongue
The Golden One!
(31-01-2014, 07:01 PM)Sebt Wrote: Nice, I like that! I encourage to write your list to your first post, so people would know details without the need to scroll down haha. Smile

Yes, yes .. Can't see the trees because of the forest. I will edit.
Code:
[insert witty text here]
So, I made ta thread about similar map customization, whichI presented in little more detailed and different way. Would be great to connect both ideas together. Smile