Brainstorm I & S - Individual building and creature options
As I am almost finished with the imp priority system, some other ideas have popped up in my head. Something I have been annoyed with a lot is the clumsy selection method that are in the game at the moment. Here is some examples:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/SellBedAndFireplace.jpg[/IMG]

As seen here the player can't choose if he wants to sell the fireplace or the bed because the hand is selecting the whole tile.

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/RotateBrewingVatAndWallBarrels.jpg[/IMG]

In this example the player can't choose if we wants to rotate the brewing-vat or the wall-barrels.

Many problems have come out of this, this is one of the reasons I had to remove the option for the player to sell and build torches. If I gave the player the option to sell and build torches, then it could be very annoying for him when he wanted to sell a torch and discovered that he sold something else on this tile instead.

So I want to be able to do is something like this:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/SellIndividualBuildings.jpg[/IMG]
(Made in photoshop, this is not a implemented yet)

As seen here the tile isn't selected, but the building itself, so that the player can just select directly what we wants to rotate and sell, it also bring forth a lot of other options for the future. As I mentioned with the torches a solution like this would solve the problem, and also give the player more freedom to add a lot of different buildings to one tile and be able to change the properties on them individually.

I also wanted to show you this image:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/SelectingCreatures.jpg[/IMG]

It is now much more visible when a creature is selected.

I wanted to start a discussion here, I don't want it to be about what properties different buildings and creatures could have and so on. But instead how the player we be able reach these properties. As I see it, when the player is selecting a creature or a building the dig option will not be available, only the plain hand that points as seen in the creature image above. So to reach a menu with options or properties could be done with a simple left click on the mouse. This would also mean that the rotate building option would have to be selected just like the sell button.

The thing is that I would really like to avoid dragging the radial menu into this solution, unless the buildings would have a own radial menu, with rotate, sell and info and so on. But I prefer having it so that the player could be able to reach a small menu just like seen here:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/RoomInfoMenu.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think a menu like this would be so distracting, and this is something that I would like to replace the creature card with as well, because the space the creature card is confined too is way to small for all the options a individual creature could have. Like renaming him, equip him, assign him to certain tasks and so on..

So the question is, what is most annoying? Having a larger menu popping up when selecting a creature or a buildings, or having a radial menu popping up that would require extra mouse clicks to reach the option the player wants to reach (which actually in the end could result in a larger menu).
I like the idea shown in the bottom pic the best. It not only shows a menu, but also basic info which can be helpful in knowing what to choose in a menu. A radial menu can not provide such a feature as good.

IMO the smaller creature cards are still useful as a quick reference, without having to block your dungeon view by bringing up a big menu window but for controlling them, I agree that something better is needed.

With the new features there also needs to be a better way of selecting imps, which I find run around so fast that it's nearly impossible to click on them, unless you get lucky and find one standing still for a few moments. Perhaps some way of slowing the game down temporarily or some other way to get access to the imps make them targetable by the pointer.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Another option to consider for rotation of buildings is to make it so that if you click on a building while holding 'r' for example would rotate it. I agree with Serious that slowing down time, pausing, or some other form of ability to increase the ease of clicking on creatures will greatly increase the usability of the creature cards, and menus.
lol, it's good to know the difficulties with clicking imps isn't just me. Big Grin
The Golden One!
Shortcuts is always a good solution to the situation Smile
Hehe, yeah the imps are to small and too fast Tongue Maybe I could increase their bounding box a little.
That could make for an achievement award, a huge trophy to anyone who manages to actually click an imp at full run! Tongue
The Golden One!
Haha, I could make it so that some of the imps don't like being clicked on, so that they avoid the hand as much as possible, and then teases the player when he can't click them Smile
(06-02-2014, 03:37 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Haha, I could make it so that some of the imps don't like being clicked on, so that they avoid the hand as much as possible, and then teases the player when he can't click them Smile

NNNNOOOOOOO!!! I thought we were friends! How could you even suggest something so cruel!!!
Because it amuses me Smile
... and because this is an evil game of evil masters and their evil minions. Evil is cruel, I thought you already knew that prof. Tongue

Of course, for such naughty and disobediant imps, there's always Sebt's idea of the Pit of the Damned to keep the rest of the fools who would try to avoid their fate in line [Image: devil-smiley-029.gif]
The Golden One!
I am just gonna go and trap all of my imps into a corner with TNT and kill them now. They must be traitors! If only I had realized earlier this terrible thing! I will make hydraulics do everything for me instead! It is my only faithful companion.
So, I have thought about a solution for when it is to hard to click a imp because they run to fast.
It is all about their bounding box being to small and moving around to fast that makes them hard to click, if they were standing still the situation would have been differently.
So the solution is this:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/RunningImpClicking.jpg[/IMG]
That will definitely improve things a lot.
The Golden One!
Definitely improve. Big Grin
In DK 2 Imps leave a blue smooth lines, but that wasn't mean you could catch them thanks to this, in DK 1 when you hover mouse on creature it stops moving, but that was a little annoying if you didn't want to grab them or something, so solution which Rasmus presented above seems to be the best ATM.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
It's definitely a good idea but I think it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Firstly what happens if a second imp runs into the previous location of the first. Which do you select? Logic would suggest the second as that's where it currently, is but maybe you just missed the first. What if there's a number of imps in the same location? Having 'extra large' bounding boxes is going to make pinpointing one difficult.

Secondly, what happens when i don't want to select an imp? I get this issue all the time when trying to select a specific tile to mine out, and there are swarms of imps running around claiming the area or grabbing resources, I inevitably select an imp and then my camera starts following it so not only did i select something I didn't want but now I'm being dragged across the dungeon! Adding a bigger bounding box will just make this worse I think.

A couple of simple solutions would be:
1) Have a pause button - if you can stop gameplay but still select things then there is no need for other solutions.
2) Have a 'select only' tool - this would alleviate my second point above, so that when digging/mining you would never accidentally select an imp, although the original problem of clicking imps would remain.

Alternatively perhaps consider the basic reason for wanting to select an imp and look for other ways to show the info. There's not much info there when you select one, things could be represented by icons and bars over their heads. Perhaps have key settings that turn on and off various over creature displays? Perhaps have a dynamic pop up window that appears simply on mouse over an imp rather than actually having to click it? Or maybe get rid of having to select a creature altogether and have an independent list of all the various stats? (or a combination of all these). I personally could imagine one overhead display with the health, tiredness and hunger bars swappable with a second display showing the fighting stats. Then maybe a simple dynamic mouse over pop up showing current task, or a list of imps and their tasks, or actually you already have the 'thought icon' over the imps showing what they are doing. This could all get rid of selecting completely.

Although a pause button might be easier Wink
Lenovo G570 laptop, Win 7 64bit sp1, i5, 6gb ram, switchable graphics (Mobile intel vs AMD HD 7370) running in AMD mode