Brainstorm I & S - Individual building and creature options
(06-02-2014, 03:37 AM)Rasmus Wrote: Haha, I could make it so that some of the imps don't like being clicked on, so that they avoid the hand as much as possible, and then teases the player when he can't click them Smile

^this!!! Big Grin hahaha, that sounds excellent Tongue

seriously though, i think (being a dwarffort player Tongue ) that having a menu/list of your current creatures could be a good way to select them. just pick which one you want. this might be more fluid if there's just a list to the side, which when you mouse over a name it puts an outline around that creature on screen. this could also be sorted by creature type.

as for selecting specific constructions on a square, this is why many games just wouldn't allow multiple on one square. i like the fact you can in this though, and i think your proposal here is a good idea:
(04-02-2014, 03:06 AM)Rasmus Wrote: So I want to be able to do is something like this:

[IMG]replace_photbucket_link/SellIndividualBuildings.jpg[/IMG]
(Made in photoshop, this is not a implemented yet)

As seen here the tile isn't selected, but the building itself, so that the player can just select directly what we wants to rotate and sell, it also bring forth a lot of other options for the future. As I mentioned with the torches a solution like this would solve the problem, and also give the player more freedom to add a lot of different buildings to one tile and be able to change the properties on them individually.
Atoning Unife Wrote:A couple of simple solutions would be:
1) Have a pause button - if you can stop gameplay but still select things then there is no need for other solutions.
2) Have a 'select only' tool - this would alleviate my second point above, so that when digging/mining you would never accidentally select an imp, although the original problem of clicking imps would remain.
IMO #1 would be very simple to implement, but #2 shouldn't be that hard either, it's just separating selecting creatures from digging/building, so when a tool is active no creature is selectable, but when no tool is active, then it is possible to select a creature. This doesn't solve the problem of catching up to a fast moving imp of course, which, IMO would be best solved by also having a pause button where creatures are still selectable while the pause button is on.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
Yeah I like #1.
#2 could be a little tricky, it would require extra clicks from the player to select creatures only. Maybe holding down the shift button could make this easier? Or have it so that if there are nothing that can be selected it will still select the closest creature as long as it is somewhat near the pointer.
I think a combination of a pause and the highlighting there would be no need for a special imp select tool. You could see whether you were highlighting an imp (and which one), or whether you were pointing at the wall, floor or something else.
Lenovo G570 laptop, Win 7 64bit sp1, i5, 6gb ram, switchable graphics (Mobile intel vs AMD HD 7370) running in AMD mode
How about you have the default tool, when nothing specific is selected being a select tool which only selects things, but does no building or digging whatsoever. If I want to dig I have no problem selecting either the pick or shovel tool and having a right click deselect the digging tools just as it does other tools, when the digging tools are active nothing can be selected. IMO it's safe to assume that when a specific tool is active, such as a digging tool or a building tool, that the user does not want to select anything except where to dig/sell/build something. When no tool is active it's safe to assume that anything the user clicks on is meant to be selected for some sort of additional action.

I actually don't like having selecting always active, as, like AU said, it often gets in the way of other actions I'm really trying to do. Still, having a quick select hotkey for if I'm doing something else and suddenly want to select a creature without deselecting a tool I'm using would be helpful, but one way or another, there has to be a way to differentiate between using a tool and selecting a creature when either could happen.
The Golden One!
(14-03-2014, 08:53 PM)Atoning Unifex Wrote: I think a combination of a pause and the highlighting there would be no need for a special imp select tool. You could see whether you were highlighting an imp (and which one), or whether you were pointing at the wall, floor or something else.

Just to make it clear, I am not suggesting any special "selection" tool, but rather that selecting is the default action when no tool is active, and that digging, building, etc is all done by activating the appropriate tool.

I should also mention that with the digging/selecting tool always active by default, I also get the reverse problem, areas highlighted for digging when I really wanted to select something, which can lead to imps digging into walls best left undisturbed (potentially unleashing a deadly hoard of cyclotars and impanzees on the hapless imps and orcs). So digging would then be it's own tools, and selecting would be when no tool is active.
The Golden One!
Yes, I have to agree that this would be in line with most other games out there - if you don't have a particular tool active then select is the default - and accidentally selecting something is a lot less potentially dangerous then accidentally releaing monstrous death upon your unwitting citizens!
Lenovo G570 laptop, Win 7 64bit sp1, i5, 6gb ram, switchable graphics (Mobile intel vs AMD HD 7370) running in AMD mode
Yes, bestowing monstrous death upon someone else's unwitting citizens is just fine, Angel but NOT upon my own unwitting citizens! AngryTongue

Big Grin
The Golden One!
If I make digging a tool of its own I am almost certain I will get many complaints. I remember in the first versions of "Dwelvers" when this was the case, I got a lot of mails from people wondering why digging isn't a default action. If you click wrong and start digging wrong in your own dungeon, the walls are most likely reinforced, which gives you some extra time to undo the action. In newly excavated area where the walls isn't reinforced this is a possibility, but when mining new territory it is part of the fun to force the player to be more careful.
perhaps... then again, perhaps the ones doing the complaining earlier just didn't realize what monstrous deaths were possible to be unleashed by the accident of a careless click upon their unwitting citizens.
The Golden One!
Well how about if digging and mining were a single tool? Based on the original idea in this post of being able to select specific areas (a shelf, a bench etc) then this could be expanded to walls/floors. If i select a wall then I am mining, if i select a floor I am digging. No need for separate tools for that. Then the space bar could switch between selecting and digging/mining without the need to add a new tool.
Now there's a thought. Maybe try it out in the next alpha and if it's a hassle you can always switch back to the current tools. After all, isn't testing new ideas part of what alphas are for?
The Golden One!
(19-03-2014, 01:41 AM)Atoning Unifex Wrote: Well how about if digging and mining were a single tool? Based on the original idea in this post of being able to select specific areas (a shelf, a bench etc) then this could be expanded to walls/floors. If i select a wall then I am mining, if i select a floor I am digging. No need for separate tools for that. Then the space bar could switch between selecting and digging/mining without the need to add a new tool.

I thought so too at first, but it is very easy to dig a hole in the room if the tool works on both walls and floors, maybe it could be added as an option.