Nick:  
Pass:     
Register Help View New Posts View Today's Posts

A Letter From Developer BurningPet is leaving Towns
Rasmus Offline
Main developer of Dwelvers
Dwelvers Developers

BurningPet is leaving Towns
As you all may know I have been very neutral in this matter because of my involvement with SMP. First time I heard that there even were an issue was when Muzzy came to these forums explaining the situation: http://forum.dwelvers.com/showthread.php?tid=560

To be honest, at first I didn't believe him because this came as a shock to me, but after that I had a chat with Ben I understood the seriousness in the situation.

So this is the current situation, Ben has left Towns and will not get paid for any sales happening after Jan 31. This is a big step, and I truly admire his decision, by doing this he have proven to be someone that care a lot more of his integrity than about the money, and I can not feel anything but respect for him. A part of me also feels like he did it because he didn't want his involvement in Towns to hurt Dwelvers reputation.

These are the links to his announcement:
http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...2&start=50
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221020/dis...157775233/

And here we have a longer discussions on steam regarding this matter:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221020/dis...213339920/

There are some details I am not allowed to discuss in the contract, but to confirm some things I will say this:
I signed a contract with SMP and they became my publishers, meaning that they financed me during a certain period so that I were able to work on the game full time, and in return they will get a cut out of the sales on Steam. There is nothing fishy about this, it is a standard publisher / developer agreement.

The only involvement Xavi have with Dwelvers is what have been mentioned above. He have had no involvement in the development of Dwelvers what so ever.

Ben have been with me since the first day we signed the contract, he have helped me a lot with the graphics, he have come up with ideas for the game and have motivated me to a large extent. I may add that if it wasn't for him we would probably not have the multilayer dungeon implemented into the game yet, if ever. I have been avoiding discussions about how much Ben have helped me with the game, because as I said in a earlier post about this matter, that what I write and what people hear can be two different things. But I now hope that you all can see that he helping me actually didn't take any time out of the Towns development.

Ben have proven over and over again for me that he is very reliable and that he has a true passion for game design and for Dwelvers and I can say with 100 percent certainty that he is not the reason why Towns stopped developing.

As you probably know, SMP has gotten a very bad reputation on Steam, this is nothing anyone can deny, and this will probably spill over on Dwelvers in one way or another. I have had no involvement in Towns what so ever, but I have to be realistic and take the situation as it is. So the counter messages we probably will take to calm down the storm a little is to give the Towns buyers a discount on Dwelvers. I will post more about this in the upcoming days when we have decided if this is the right way to go.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 07:43 PM by Sebt.)
05-02-2014 02:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE: BurningPet is leaving Towns
I'm not so sure that offering YOUR game for free is the right way to go either. You had nothing to do with Towns and should not suffer losses due to Xavi's lack of ethics and common sense.

@BurningPet: Good decision to leave the Towns team and disassociate yourself with that mess.

@Rasmus: I'd recommend removing any mention of the Towns team from future versions. If you have to make reference to your publisher, I'd say refer to SMF and make that as unobtrusive as you can get away with. Who knows, you might even get lucky and find out SMF's goes out of business and your contract with them is moot and voided.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 11:33 AM by Seriously Unserious.)
05-02-2014 11:29 AM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

(05-02-2014 11:29 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  I'm not so sure that offering YOUR game for free is the right way to go either. You had nothing to do with Towns and should not suffer losses due to Xavi's lack of ethics and common sense.

True, but this isn't about what is right and not, this is the situation, and it needs to be dealt with in some way or another. I am not saying I will give Dwelvers for free to the Towns owners, but I can probably give them a big discount. Just remember that there are 200k towns owners out there.

(05-02-2014 11:29 AM)Seriously Unserious Wrote:  @Rasmus: I'd recommend removing any mention of the Towns team from future versions. If you have to make reference to your publisher, I'd say refer to SMF and make that as unobtrusive as you can get away with. Who knows, you might even get lucky and find out SMF's goes out of business and your contract with them is moot and voided.

Already done, I have come to the conclusion that it will bring more harm than good having Towns name in the game.

PS. It is SMP, not SMF Wink DS.
05-02-2014 01:04 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Here is another thing that really points out the seriousness in the situation:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1...have_nice/
(Check out BurningPet's post further down.)

I don't know if it is because BurningPet was the one that posted that comment about Dwelvers, but I have a strong feeling that almost all advertising of Dwelvers will get comments about its association with SMP.
05-02-2014 01:20 PM
muzzy Offline
Dungeon Lord

Is there any chance that you could renegotiate the contract with SMP?

For example, could you try to negotiate a maximum cap for the amount they can gain from Dwelvers? I understand you'd probably have to give them a larger portion of the sales (i.e. smaller risk) in exchange, but it might be beneficial to you in the long run to be able to cut yourself free from the stigma of SMP. There could be more potential for growth too if your launch day isn't tainted by disgruntled Towns purchasers trolling your steam community hub and writing negative reviews just because of your affiliation with SMP.

If you are permanently tied to SMP, there's a risk the shit will hit the fan the moment you launch on Steam. It would definitely help mitigate the problem if you could eventually reach a point after which the purchases no longer benefit SMP.
05-02-2014 01:28 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

Dwelvers still needs to prove itself, and I still have to fulfil my end of the agreement. Something I want to point out is that even if Xavi has done wrong towards the Towns buyers, Xavi have upheld every part of the agreement I singed with SMP, and I will do the same in return. I do understand the situation, but I really don't feel comfortable discussing "how to cut SMP loose" here on a public forum while I am still bound to a contract with them and I still have to fulfil my end of the agreement.

The goal now is to make as much damage control as possible, and in the future we will see how it all works out and see if there are any possibility on renegotiating the contract.
05-02-2014 01:56 PM
TopperHarley Offline
Sleepy Weasel

I think contract details should not be discussed in public forums.
I would not be influenced by rumors or falsehoods. These are Rasmus tasks. Thanks.

I think the best would be if we convince the critics that it is not a deja vu with Dwelvers.
And truly, i think Rasmus has this under control.

@Rasmus
I do not know you, but I have a good feeling and I appreciate your candor. I have a good feeling for the future:-)

Cheers
Topper
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 03:50 PM by TopperHarley.)
05-02-2014 03:46 PM
Hyrus Offline
Imp

RE: Team News - BurningPet is leaving Towns
I registered just to say that I don't believe you should offer big discounts to Towns fans. All that may do is bring disgruntled and angry people to your community, people who may actually not even be interested in the game, just in seeing how it's gonna be handled - and those kind of people will jump at your throat for every tiny failing.

A far better way of handling it, in my opinion, is to advise those who felt wronged by Towns to wait to purchase your game when it's considered launch-ready, or finished. And to do so directly from you, through a way that doesn't go through Steam (and consequently, SMP).

That way, they'll only judge the game based on whether it's good or not, and won't view themselves as "funders" for a project that is still underway.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 08:18 PM by Hyrus.)
05-02-2014 08:15 PM
Rasmus Offline
Dwelvers Developers

RE: Team News - BurningPet is leaving Towns
Thanks Topper Smile

It is a complicated situation, we are right now working on a solution, and I agree with you Hyrus, this is a problem that we could be facing. But I have more faith in people that they will not judge Dwelvers so quickly, it is true that my association with SMP will make me a more easy target, but that is a risk that I am both willing and forced to take non the less.

Whatever decision made I will not do it to clean up SMP's reputation, that is Xavi's work. The decision made will be to prove my intentions, and that I am not planning in any way to go down the same path as Towns. It may sound unfair that I have to pay for something not caused by me, but it is reality and that is something I will have to deal with.
05-02-2014 10:03 PM
Mastergoose Offline
Realm Conqueror

RE: A Letter from Developer - BurningPet is leaving Towns
Wow.. I had no idea this was all going on!
Well Rasmus, you are doing a good job on dwelvers!! I hope this has no to minimal influence on the games (pre-)reputation.
And Burningpet, after reading a lot of what happened on forums and posts, I have respect for you on how you are handling the situation! I hope these things will not be following you for a long time!

And to the entire team, good luck with Dwelvers!
06-02-2014 02:16 AM
Seriously Unserious Offline
The Ninja Dinosaur

RE: A Letter from Developer - BurningPet is leaving Towns
Rasmus, it's just a shame you didn't find out about Xavi's reputation before you signed anything with him. That would have simplified things for you tremendously in some ways. Although you probably wouldn't be nearly as far along in development as you are, you also wouldn't have to be wasting precious development time and energy on putting out someone else's fires, simply because it's spreading into your own house.
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
06-02-2014 02:50 AM