My New Idea Construction Idea - Support Beams & Secret Rooms
Support Beams & Secret Rooms

Info
Hello, since the addition of multiple layers and stairs I would like to suggest something.

Stats
Highlight: An option of building support beams to make deeper tunnels without having all of the dirt blocks falling down when you dig through the bottom layers.
Function: When you are on lower layers you could give the option of building support beams so that you can make deeper tunnels without having all of the dirt blocks falling down when you dig through the bottom layers. Even if you couldn't see your tunnels from a top-view perspective you could always change your view so you could see in the tunnel and first person mode would be good for this also. Support beams would also make it so you could add secret rooms in the game normally not visible from a top-view perspective. Or you could simply make it so that these new secret areas are Only accessible through first-person mode.

Either way, I think it would be an interesting concept.
Sorry for not following the suggestion guidelines. Thank you for changing it for me!
I agree. That's the one thing I'd love to see improved about the multi-level dungeons. +1 to your rep for that idea! Big Grin
[Image: 11619898803_7d3a89e6bd_n.jpg]
The Golden One!
if we ever go with tunneling, i think we could turn the physics slightly unrealistic and just make it so that blocks don't fall.

Enabling tunneling pose a much larger change though. it changes the path finding, it changes the interface, it changes a lot.
Yes, now that you mention it, I think it should be tunneling by default since we are already underground and digging the first layer without dirt falling. It would make this idea a lot easier. But might make it harder for some minions to get back up.... but that's why we have stairs right? Tongue
I think there's also plans to add ladders as well, that don't take up as much floor space as the stairs do, but I'm not sure if that's still being considered by Rasmus or not.
The Golden One!
(07-02-2014, 11:30 PM)Seriously Unserious Wrote: I think there's also plans to add ladders as well, that don't take up as much floor space as the stairs do, but I'm not sure if that's still being considered by Rasmus or not.

I was reading this forum to see how could I make a suggestion, ended reading this and yes, my suggestion was also ladders. Getting deeper is a pita in terms of space, so a ladder would be awesome indeed (with a crane Tongue).
I think cranes are just a little bit beyond the technology level for this game, but a block and tackle could definitely be an idea, and IMO a good one.

Foxadnxss Wrote:I was reading this forum to see how could I make a suggestion, ended reading this and yes, my suggestion was also ladders.
Sorry fox, I already beat you to it. Tongue
The Golden One!
It is a really interesting idea, and when I upgraded the dungeon and made it multi layered this was definitely something I considered. But I came to the conclusion to make the dungeon layer system as it is now because of the following reasons:
- The path-finding would be much more demanding. There is probably solutions for it, but it would be pretty demanding on the CPU.
- The player would have a hard time seeing and knowing what is going on underneath the blocks.
- The camera would have to move between the different levels and make the blocks above go transparent.
- If I were to make it possible to dig tunnels then it would put extra demands on the player keeping everything organized and have control over the dungeon, and with the expanding production chain and the surface world being introduced I think it will keep the player confused enough Tongue
I agree Rasmus, that will overcomplicate the game and before that, there is a lot of stuff to do.
I thought that rooms, treasures, anything would be hide in ground blocks that need to be dug out if you want to have/claim these rooms, treasures etc.
This would really give something special to the game, secrets, hidden ancient remains or just common rooms that was buried after battle between two evil lords, etc. That would work without any beams and this would work like in a game of Battleships - you dig one tile and you uncover buried in the ground item or a room tile - if you want to take over of a whole room - dig every adjacent to found room blocks and claim what you found, sink that ships. Smile

Added to Ideas & Game Features list.
Spec: Win 10, ATI 7800 HD, res: 1280x1024x75. I support The Venus Project & Resource-Based Economy
I really like that idea Sebt, having chests and other objects buried in the ground Big Grin
+1 for you!
Oh yeah I like that too.
Yeah, that is a good idea, Sebt. +1.
The Golden One!
I Agree, awesome!